The "Helinox roll"

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Went on a short solo backpacking trip to fish a high mountain lake.
As I was sitting there, my thoughts turned to getting up as it was time to go fishing and take Miss Ginger for a walkabout.
I usually take my helinox ground chair and thought I would share the "helinox roll."
It's an old guy thing........

This is the procedure in 7 easy numbered steps.

1. The decision to get up. Usually this takes a bit. It's called procrastination.
2. The first grunt takes place as you start moving.
3. You have to figure out which direction to roll. Right or left. Can't get up straight as this passed long ago. Which is the entire purpose of the roll.
4. I usually roll to the right. As you start moving forward (another grunt), your right palm goes flat on the ground and your right knee also goes to the ground and your momentum carries your body that way. Now, this procedure can be done in steps but if you are a really flexible old guy, you can do it all in one fluid sequence. Sometimes maybe.
5. Piece of cake, you are erect. Another grunt. Maybe have to stand there for a second or two so the light headedness dissipates.
6. You've just completed the helinox roll.
7. Victory.

Randy

Screenshot_20240706_090825_Gallery.jpg20240704_193539.jpg20240704_193421.jpg20240704_193459.jpg20240704_171752.jpg

Went on a short solo backpacking trip to fish a high mountain lake.
As I was sitting there, my thoughts turned to getting up as it was time to go fishing and take Miss Ginger for a walkabout.
I usually take my helinox ground chair and thought I would share the "helinox roll."
It's an old guy thing........

This is the procedure in 7 easy numbered steps.

1. The decision to get up. Usually this takes a bit. It's called procrastination.
2. The first grunt takes place as you start moving.
3. You have to figure out which direction to roll. Right or left. Can't get up straight as this passed long ago. Which is the entire purpose of the roll.
4. I usually roll to the right. As you start moving forward (another grunt), your right palm goes flat on the ground and your right knee also goes to the ground and your momentum carries your body that way. Now, this procedure can be done in steps but if you are a really flexible old guy, you can do it all in one fluid sequence. Sometimes maybe.
5. Piece of cake, you are erect. Another grunt. Maybe have to stand there for a second or two so the light headedness dissipates.
6. You've just completed the helinox roll.
7. Victory.

Randy

View attachment 732744View attachment 732745View attachment 732746View attachment 732747View attachment 732749
Ah dam! If that little chair is what your talking about, I couldn't get out of it. Of course, 60 is well behind me. But I do like your dog!

2muchhp

WKR
I have one, yup your spot on. Nice light chair though, perfect for packing.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Haha! Nice. FYI...

The Big Agnes Skyline UL is in every way better than the Helinox other than a little bit of weight. Leg stability, seat angle (not having the chair dig into your "leg pits"), seat back angle (not forcing you to lean too far back), sits up higher for glassing, lasts longer.

These are somewhat subjective and depends on body shape and posture, but I can glass all day and not be one bit uncomfortable in the Big Agnes. Put me in the Helinox for a couple hours and I'm looking for a flat rock to get me out of it.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I use the helinox ground chair as it has a "base." I've broke several other chairs that have legs which I always seem to dig in and break. I still use a butt pad sometimes for glassing but damn, the chairs are comfortable.

Randy

Screenshot_20240728_170632_Chrome.jpg

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Cracked up reading this because I sooo understand. Am 66, still using the original Alite Monarch chair, the first of these UL chairs, and absolutely have the roll down!

AKDoc

WKR
I really enjoyed and laughed reading your post. It also made me think, there's a Helinox Roll 2.0 ...

It involves sleeping on a Helinox cot in a low ceiling tent, the typical waking-up around 3am for our age, bad knees and/or hellacious wx outside, and a plastic container...and done even more carefully :oops::ROFLMAO:!

Last edited: