The Ghost

Sharpio

FNG
I hunt an area that I feel like I know very well. 15+ years of hunting the area. Thick timber, not a lot of open areas. There has been a bull that we named The Ghost in the area the last few years. Year after year it seems that he moves into the area about middle of September. Never have found where he comes from. His bugle is the same each year, very distinct and he does not shut up...until you get close. We have seen him at a distance twice but that is all. Not a huge bull but bigger than others we see.
I've tried everything on this bull and each year he wins. Aggressive, passive, copying, patterns. Gives me the slip. He will shut up and move out or take all the cows somewhere I cant keep up and always plays the wind perfectly. I am probably not the best elk hunter but this bull seems to be extra smart. Makes for a fun September each year but I sure would like to beat him this year if he is still around!

Have you guys ever hunted a bull year after year? Did you ever get him? How do you catch these really smart public land bulls making a mistake?

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out a stuckntherut youtube video they worked this plan on a cool bull that gave them the slip for several yrs🤙

Marble

WKR
Like said above, the hunter doesn't call. The caller stays back a comfortable distance and keeps the bulls talking. The hunter closes the distance and either does spot and stalk or waits until the bull goes to an ambush area. Some bulls want to fight, some want ladies and will chase them, some won't go to anything and just wait.

If you are solo, you'll have to set up where you know he frequents. Maybe, and probably the best calling sequence would be the slow play.

I've used this same method with hunting turkey. It works well. They are distracted with talking hens or gobblers and are very killable.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Or just go no calling if he moves out every time you get in close. Persistence every day of trying to get into his herd and following until you get an opportunity. Gotta be careful that you don't bust them. I would think eventually you'd be able to pattern him and his herd to some degree at some point and use that knowledge to know where they're going and be able to set up an ambush.

ElkNut1

WKR
This bull is being harassed by other hunters!

Your best shot on this bull is your first encounter, don't blow it! (grin) Go early season & get within 200-300 yards of where he's bedded & go straight to the Advertising Sequence. Don't worry if he calls back or not, you will have him come your way inside 30 minutes. Stay patient & super focused! Have a great setup where he must come to bowrange before he can see source of the calling!

I also love Marbles tactic, I call it the Call & Stalk method in the App, It works great on those bulls that will respond repeatedly at 250 + yards. One hunter keeps him bugling as the shooter slips in silent mode, my Son & I have taken countless OTC bulls with this method! Good Luck!

ElkNut

OP
S

Sharpio

FNG
For sure pressured by other hunters! Most of the time I am hunting by myself so having someone call is not an option. I think patience is what gets the best of me! I cant stand it when he goes silent and I end up doing something dumb! If he is still around this year, I will be trying these tactics! Thanks for the comments!