The downside of lightweight magnums

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Just came across this video from MDS on YouTube this morning and thought I would share it. Caylen gives a nice summary of the challenges he sees in classes when shooters bring a lightweight rifle in a magnum caliber. He also mentions lightweight rifles seem more about marketing and selling the consumer something new rather than something practical.

I often hear rokslide accused of being an echo chamber and this seems especially true when it comes to using smaller, lighter-recoiling cartridges to improve hit rates. With that in mind, I find it interesting that people like Caylen are seeing similar things with respect hit rates, recoil and lightweight rifles.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice catch, he does good videos. Caylen and others have been talking about it for years, as well as certain portions of the market. Mostly, it comes from the competition guys who want to cut recoil every way, and going to a smaller caliber makes them more accurate and precise.

This especially became true in the NRL Hunter, when using your 6.5 PRC put you at a handicap to the 6.5 Creedmoor, simply because the small improvement of ballistics with the speed of the PRC was offset from the benefit of the additional recoil.