The cost of not going Elk hunting this year?

There is a lot of speculation this year concerning how many Elk hunters will make it to the field due in part to the Corona virus this year. If one just don't have the money then I guess there is no way around it but the only problem is that it will likely cost you more next year to hunt out of state than this year. Not only that but a tag may be harder to get as well next year than this year. I see where Idaho is raising the cost for a non-resident Elk tag next year to over 900 dollars. Colorado is also raising it's fees next year as well. In both states some tags will be harder to get. Oh yea, Wyoming is also proposing to raise costs and limit more tags to non-residents next year. There is better breakdown of those changes here: https://www.elk101.com/2020/03/the-...uY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSlF6UFhUIn0=

What I'm getting at is that if you are on the fence about Elk hunting out of state and can deal with the cost your opportunity could be better of getting a tag and cost you less this year than putting it off till next year.

OFFHNTN

WKR
There is a lot of speculation this year concerning how many Elk hunters will make it to the field due in part to the Corona virus this year. If one just don't have the money then I guess there is no way around it but the only problem is that it will likely cost you more next year to hunt out of state than this year. Not only that but a tag may be harder to get as well next year than this year. I see where Idaho is raising the cost for a non-resident Elk tag next year to over 900 dollars. Colorado is also raising it's fees next year as well. In both states some tags will be harder to get. Oh yea, Wyoming is also proposing to raise costs and limit more tags to non-residents next year. There is better breakdown of those changes here: https://www.elk101.com/2020/03/the-real-cost-of-going-on-an-elk-hunt/?utm_campaign=Budget Gear 3/17 Expired FIXED (P23xce)&utm_medium=email&variation=B&utm_source=Expired Members&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJyb3VnaHdhdGVyNjBAZ21haWwuY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSlF6UFhUIn0=

What I'm getting at is that if you are on the fence about Elk hunting out of state and can deal with the cost your opportunity could be better of getting a tag and cost you less this year than putting it off till next year.

I agree with you, but this is usually the case year after year regardless of COVID-19. The cost of living goes up every year, tag fee's in many states go up every year, point creep and chances of getting tags gets worse every year, etc etc.

OP
Roughwater
"Oh yea, Wyoming is also proposing to raise costs and limit more tags to non-residents next year."

not even close to accurate

Educate me then wapitibob. Corey Jacobson said: "Wyoming proposed a bill this year that would have restricted NR Elk hunting opportunity from 16% of tags to no more than 10% of tags while increasing the cost of NR Elk tags by 16%."

I can't say it's not an accurate statement as I am quoting Cory, but if it's not what part of it is not accurate? Thanks in advance.

GregB

WKR
There is a lot of speculation this year concerning how many Elk hunters will make it to the field due in part to the Corona virus this year. If one just don't have the money then I guess there is no way around it but the only problem is that it will likely cost you more next year to hunt out of state than this year. Not only that but a tag may be harder to get as well next year than this year. I see where Idaho is raising the cost for a non-resident Elk tag next year to over 900 dollars. Colorado is also raising it's fees next year as well. In both states some tags will be harder to get. Oh yea, Wyoming is also proposing to raise costs and limit more tags to non-residents next year. There is better breakdown of those changes here: https://www.elk101.com/2020/03/the-real-cost-of-going-on-an-elk-hunt/?utm_campaign=Budget Gear 3/17 Expired FIXED (P23xce)&utm_medium=email&variation=B&utm_source=Expired Members&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJyb3VnaHdhdGVyNjBAZ21haWwuY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSlF6UFhUIn0=

Your post is misleading, Idaho is not raising non-res elk tags to $900. Elk tags in 2021 will be $650, a license $185, and if you archery hunt an archery permit is $81. So everything to hunt, tag, license and permit is $835 for rifle or $916 for archery. The tag alone is not $900.

wapitibob

WKR
The Wyoming Bill failed on introduction two months ago.
will Wyoming eventually go to a 90/10 split? Most believe so but they also believe it will start with moose and sheep.With antelope/deer/elk, the devil will be in the details; going to10% for those species may actually have little impact on nr opportunity.

Last edited:
OP
Roughwater
Quote "Your post is misleading, Idaho is not raising non-res elk tags to $900. Elk tags in 2021 will be $650, a license $185, and if you archery hunt an archery permit is $81. So everything to hunt, tag, license and permit is $835 for rifle or $916 for archery. The tag alone is not $900. "

I was not trying to be misleading at all. When I say "Tag", I think of the total cost not just the license as you can't just by the tag and hunt an Elk. You gotta buy several related items before you hunt as you well know. I was thinking "Archery" which as you know is over 900 dollars. I probably should have been more specific but the main point I was trying to make is that it's gonna cost you more next year in some states. I know I hunted archery several years ago in Idaho and the total cost even with a bear and wolf tag I'm pretty sure was under 800 dollars and maybe not even that much.

OP
Roughwater
I put in for the Montana general draw this year but also put in for the 900-20 LE tag. I got the Elk Combo which comes with a annual fishing license, a upland bird license, conservation license and had to buy the bow and arrow and Elk Permit, so my total tag price was 996 I believe. Oh yea and I bought a preference and bonus point that was included in the total price. Now the wait to see if I actually draw anything. I think results come out the 15th of this month?

OP
Roughwater
For me, it's simple: the cost of not going elk hunting this year is that you don't get to hunt elk.

Genius!

I was just thinking that Way, Way back when I was in boot camp in the Core my DI called me that but I don't think he meant it the same way.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Do any of you think that if travel is restricted by government or the state of idaho that nonresidents that already bought the tag should be able to hunt the 2021 season at the price they paid for this year or should they have to pay the new price?

I'm still planning on going this year, but if I didn't I'd be 3-5 K ahead. Next year wouldn't cost be that much more.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Ya im going for sure just hoping there wont be a travel ban that lasts into september if there is any.

OP
Roughwater
Do any of you think that if travel is restricted by government or the state of idaho that nonresidents that already bought the tag should be able to hunt the 2021 season at the price they paid for this year or should they have to pay the new price?

I don't know that we will have a vote in it but the right thing to do would be for Idaho to offer NR hunters the option of a refund or a 2021 tag with no cost increase if it comes to that. A normal virus would likely have run it's course by early summer, though this isn't a normal virus we can only hope it will die off like a normal one. One thing for sure the way this virus spreads if we all tried to do things status quo with no intervention it would be so much worse. Right now it looks like some of the more populated states slowest to take action will soon be hit like a sledge hammer.

Maybe the quarantine will still be in place and there will be fewer non resident hunters? But the flip side is a lot of businesses will lose out on money and so will the wildlife agencies. Even right now the conservation groups have to be hurting now without banquets.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jboettner

FNG

Definitely feel like out of state sales will be down this year due to increased unemployment but maybe more folks trying to capitalize on the increased opportunity that may not have tried before, and it balances it out. Next year there will probably be a boom due to people sitting out this season.