The best tent lantern!!

That is an incredibly cool setup. For S’s & G’s you could solder in a marine-grade potentiometer (adjustable resistor) for about 2 bucks and be able to dim the light and extend battery life…I might need to do some tinkering this weekend and make one. Thanks for sharing 👍

Do potentiometers actually extend battery life? I was under the impression they just increased resistance so the energy that would have become light now becomes waste heat.

Do potentiometers actually extend battery life? I was under the impression they just increased resistance so the energy that would have become light now becomes waste heat.

Touché. It would allow you to dim/brighten the light, however, me thinks you are correct in that it wouldn’t reduce the power draw from the battery; that would require a lower rated LED. I have a few on order to mess around with, I’ll run a multimeter on it at different resistance settings and see if the amp draw changes, but I think you nailed it.

oldbay

FNG
nice how much would something like this cost. i have a bunch of batteries already

Neat set up I can see this as not only a tent light but it would be good for a late evening field dress and meat prep for a pack out along with a head lamp should light up you’re area pretty good, should even be ok in wet weather with a bit of plastic wrap and some elec. tape around the connections. Mongo like.