The best ILF hunting set up!

Hey all,

Haven't done a review in awhile but I figured this one would be worth it because there are some newer items that recently hit the market listed.

This set up was built around my next big hunt coming up for Costal Brown Bear in Alaska. My main focus was durability and reliability. The set up finished out at 57# @ 27.5" with a total arrow weight of 525 grains.
Riser: 19" RMS gear peak to peak riser
Limbs: Trad Tech Extreme RC longs 60#
String: TTT Archery
Arrows: Safari Tuff Taipan 340s full length

So I will go a little more in depth of everything below.

RMS Gear Peak to Peak riser:
In the past, I have used most high end ILF risers. All of which were metal. One big gripe I have of metal risers is how cold they get late season. I have had multiple times where I was holding my bow and almost lost all feeling due to the metal riser of the bow I was holding. This riser shown is an all G10 riser custom made by South Cox from Stalker Stickbows. My first impressions of the riser, I was blown away. Never having a "custom" bow I was floored. After handling it a bit the first big WOW i noticed was the grip. I have always had custom grips on my ILF risers and this one was exceptional. I don't usually have much palm on my risers when shooting, but the way this grip lined up with my hand was spot on. I also have to give a huge shout out to Tom Clum at RMS gear and South Cox. We had a minor communication (my fault) and it was handled flawlessly on both ends. Going to be hard for me to want to shop anywhere other than with those guys after that great experience.

Limbs:
Trad Tech RC Extremes. These limbs speak for themselves. Consistency and durability are the high notes. I have never drawn even close to this amount of weight, but the limbs have been very forgiving and very consistent. I wanted to go with a set up Uukhas but was worried about the durability issues. Not something I am willing to gamble with on a once and a lifetime hunt.

String:
TTT Strings. I have been shooting them and competing with them for years now and they have always been spot on. Customer service again is second to none. Can't see myself going anywhere else.

Arrows:
Safari Tuff Taipan 340s
I have been stuck on 6.5mm arrows for a long time for the simplicity of them and the insert systems. I decided to go the 5mm route just because of the durability of the insert system and also the nock collars. I didn't shop around long. I love supporting traditional archery companies and have loved everything to date that I have ordered from them. Also, the low GPI made my target weight easy to hit with a decent amount of weight up front. For the price, I would be hard pressed to find anything that hits in its weight class. My biggest impression was on how straight and consistent these arrows are. I use to buy 2 dozen gold tips, spin all 2 dozen and hopefully find 6 that were perfect for hunting arrows. I spun all 12 of these yesterday and 10 spun absolutely perfect, and the other 2 were probably a 9/10. Looking forward to sending some of these through some whitetails this fall and get them ready for spring bear!

If anyone has any questions about the set up, please do not hesitate to reach out! Good luck this fall!

Attachments

• 66BC5CBB-0994-45BE-8E37-4AF13176288B.jpeg
    66BC5CBB-0994-45BE-8E37-4AF13176288B.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 38E3F3DD-3279-4029-BA1F-A8BDCCABDD46.jpeg
    38E3F3DD-3279-4029-BA1F-A8BDCCABDD46.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 886E17FA-0CAE-4A13-BAC6-06392D72FC85.jpeg
    886E17FA-0CAE-4A13-BAC6-06392D72FC85.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 56033003-90C0-47A5-8A23-63B2288C58DA.jpeg
    56033003-90C0-47A5-8A23-63B2288C58DA.jpeg
    548.4 KB · Views: 49
  • C31745A6-BB64-4B1F-B984-0F638965A5F9.jpeg
    C31745A6-BB64-4B1F-B984-0F638965A5F9.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 45

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Nice. I've been very interested in this riser, but with the wood. That all G10 is cool though. I'm currently using those same limbs on a carbon riser (W&W black wolf) and it's been a great combo. But that riser has peeked my interest. Looking forward to how you like the combo.

FLS

WKR
That’s a good looking riser. I had a Morrison phenolic riser and traded it off like a fool. It shot great and was stable and had no vibration.

Beendare

WKR
Nice.

I’ve been an ILF guy for a long time now. I just haven’t been able to get the same performance from Customs that I get from the ILF limbs.

I’m probably going to hunt with my Stalker riser this year…and either Nika or Uukha SX 50 limbs.
Mine is heavier than other wood risers with the G10 insert concealed inside. Super stiff.

The shelf is a little bit higher from center on the Stalker risers versus others…. that took me a minute to get used to.

Here is my Stalker riser lined up wit my TT riser and the string that was on the TT

IMG_0749.jpeg

True, The Uukha limbs have had their share of QC problems, I had a set of Selenghas snap and miss my eye by 2”. By the time you hear them crack, its too late! Shoot them a lot when you first get them- with safety glasses- grin….and if they go 100 shots, they have been fine for me.

IME, The Nika’s give you the same performance of the low end Uukhas and they are a little bit quieter with less vibration.

I have a set of Borders…performance to burn, a tad noisy…but I can’t get past those big hooks…maybe if I spend more time shooting them.

I will likely be picking up a Peak to Peak riser in the next few months for 2025. I still a newb, so I went with a Satori riser figuring I could mess with different rests, quiver set ups, and bow length. That way, once I know what works for me, I can order the exact riser I want.

Kentucky

WKR
Everyone had the rig they love, that why all the different styles of risers… for me the P2P was too heavy to pack around in the woods…I had some issues with my first one… which was handled like you said “flawlessly”… the second one was good, but not riser for me…

currently shooting/hunting this year with a W&W black wolf, with inno ex primes… very light ILF rig… I also love the older DAS stuff…and older limbs the winex honeyfoams…TT extreme BF, SF UPs…all great stuff…uukha are great and nika is good… but that old stuff has definitely proven itself to last…

And if somebody says they get better performance or shoot a custom better… it’s only because they found a bow perfect for them, it’s hard thing to do, since all customs are different… even same model and same weight….ALL DIFFERENT!!…plus they are prolly a great shot anyway and would be even better with a ILF and a rest.

Beendare

WKR
Everyone had the rig they love, that why all the different styles of risers… for me the P2P was too heavy to pack around in the woods…I had some issues with my first one… which was handled like you said “flawlessly”… the second one was good, but not riser for me…

currently shooting/hunting this year with a W&W black wolf, with inno ex primes… very light ILF rig… I also love the older DAS stuff…and older limbs the winex honeyfoams…TT extreme BF, SF UPs…all great stuff…uukha are great and nika is good… but that old stuff has definitely proven itself to last…

And if somebody says they get better performance or shoot a custom better… it’s only because they found a bow perfect for them, it’s hard thing to do, since all customs are different… even same model and same weight….ALL DIFFERENT!!…plus they are prolly a great shot anyway and would be even better with a ILF and a rest.
Yeah, my Stalker is heavy. Heavier than my metal F261..or darn close.
IMG_1380.jpeg

For a long time I preferred my Dryad wood riser that has to be a pound or more lighter.

I too like the limbs you mentioned….WW and WNS make some great limbs. I have a set of Inno’s from 2007, still great limbs. The WNS C 5 is a darn good limb for $175. Seems there are a lot of really good ILF limbs and they aren’t that expensive.

Kentucky

WKR
Yeah, my Stalker is heavy. Heavier than my metal F261..or darn close.
View attachment 755463

For a long time I preferred my Dryad wood riser that has to be a pound or more lighter.

I too like the limbs you mentioned….WW and WNS make some great limbs. I have a set of Inno’s from 2007, still great limbs. The WNS C 5 is a darn good limb for $175. Seems there are a lot of really good ILF limbs and they aren’t that expensive.
I w got a 17” dryad you need to buy!!!

MCR

FNG
I really like the P2P riser from RMSG. I really like the metal DAS risers but wanted to find a wood ILF I liked. Tried quite a few and even a stalker riser but didn't like the grip I really like everything about the P2P riser. Some don't like the weight but for me it is perfect. I like a little heavier riser. The grip is fantastic and they did a great job of getting the limb pad angles right. I pair mine with Uukha sx50 and a TTT string. If I were to order another Stalke Stickbow it would be with the same grip that comes on the P2P.

I really like the P2P riser from RMSG. I really like the metal DAS risers but wanted to find a wood ILF I liked. Tried quite a few and even a stalker riser but didn't like the grip I really like everything about the P2P riser. Some don't like the weight but for me it is perfect. I like a little heavier riser. The grip is fantastic and they did a great job of getting the limb pad angles right. I pair mine with Uukha sx50 and a TTT string. If I were to order another Stalke Stickbow it would be with the same grip that comes on the P2P.
It’s prolly either the clum grip or south’s 6pak grip. Most the p2p I’ve seen have one of those two grips. My coyote has the 6 pak. It’s my favorite grip of all time, just a joy to shoot.

TX_Diver

WKR
I out gobis on my p2p riser and it’s a great combo!

Looking forward to shooting it more through the winter and hunting my next elk tag with it.