The 788 Comes Home

TwoTikkas

WKR
Back many years ago. 1977 maybe. My father and I went to an auction.One of the local gun shops was going out of business. We bid on and won a Remington 788 in 308. An ugly duckling that was a fact,but it shot quite well. I used it a couple years and ended up putting a M70 XTR 270 on lay away as my next rifle. Dad offered to buy a scope for the 270 in exchange for the 788. Being young and broke,I accepted his offer.He and I were hobby gunsmithing at the time,so he decided to "Gussy up" old ugly duck. It took some time,but he eventually got her done. After removing the sprayed on varnish and walnut finish,he checkered and inlaid her with some brass. Skeletal grip caps were all the rage at the time so one was in order. So it was written so it shall be done. Some walnut stain and a little tru oil on the old birch plank and she was done. A pretty nice looking 788.
He shot a deer or two with it. Stored it mostly. Then a young fella related to Dad's woman friend at the time wanted to buy her. Damn if he didn't do it too! I was a little upset that it got out of the family,but the fella was a genuinely nice guy and very careful with his belongings. Low and behold about a week ago,he showed up at Dad's place,with the 788,in just the same condition it was in 10 years ago! He wanted Dad to have it back as he could no longer hunt. What a super gesture. This time Dad brought her over. It was time for her to come home. Here are a few pics of the old girl. I hope the devoted 788 folks don't mind the alterations. I like them.
007-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

004.jpg

005-2.jpg

Last edited:

tstowater

WKR
I have one in a .22-250 that I now leave in the back of the safe. It was my first centerfire rifle and shoots really well. Scared that the bolt will give me fits and then I am screwed. I've got a couple other .22-250's so I am not doing without, but I liked shooting the 788. Mine is kinda tiger striped. Don't see very many of those. Nice 308, but I have grown fond of the original look. By the way, my father-in-law just acquired a really nice looking 788 in .223 that will likely get sold. Can't convince myself to buy it. Too many .22-250's, 220 Swifts, 204's and .17 Remingtons already.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hmmm. A 223 788 that might be for sale.............. I might like to know about that should it come to pass.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I owned a 788 in .243 for a season. I bought it off a pastor friend of mine for $200 (this was a while ago:) I shot a couple of freezer filler whitetails with it (3 little hungry mouths to feed). It was probably the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever shot. The next summer my friend was bemoaning his error in judgement so much I let him buy it back for the same money. Good gun, good guy...

Your's is quite nice by the way...

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one in .243 back in 1988 that I killed many a deer with till I bought my 7 mag. Then my son started shooting it and killed his fair share of whitetails. I bought him a Pro Hunter in 2009 for his graduation that he loves. I mentioned that maybe we ought to sell the little .243. He said, "I would like for my son to shoot his first whitetail with it someday". I believe she will stay in the safe till then.

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
My first rifle was a 788 in .308. I've got it stored in the safe until my 5 yo son is ready to hunt

7mag.

WKR
My hunting partner has one in .308, that his dad bought used for him when he passed hunters ed. some 25 years ago. Out of all the rifles in his safe, he chooses the 788 every year for blacktail hunting. He has shot some dandy's with it too. It's beat up, scratched up, and the blueing is mostly gone, but it sure is a tack driver. He also has one in .222 that is almost brand new. And a lefty for his wife in 6mm.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
If you can for go the appearance of the 788,it is a great bread and butter rifle. Parts can be expensive for them now days.Especially magazines for some of them. I never installed the after market trigger,but I hear they are a good investment too. I'll likely carry this one occasionally for old time sake. With any luck my daughter will take a liking to it and decide to carry it instead of her 700 Mountain 243. I'd like to pass it on down to her or her sister if either are so inclined.