The 6UM

crich

WKR
From the elk posted above. 115gr DTAC

Approximately 1,940fps impact velocity. No bones hit until exit side rib. First shot was very rear lobe of lung. No upset at this point.

View attachment 630521

Then it caught the very front of the stomach. Look to the left of the knife tip and you can see the hole into the stomach.
View attachment 630522

Came out through the edge of the liver, and the other lungs rear lobe and is showing signs of yawing (tumbling), breaking a rib on exit.
View attachment 630523

Exit side shows a near perfect sideways bullet from yawing.

View attachment 630524

Second hit was through lower neck, no pictures unfortunately. The elk fell at that shot, started tumbling down hill, then at some point stood up generally quartering away, and the third hit angled through the femur and lower spine. The bull dropped at this shot and laid still with his head down for a few seconds, then tried to lift his head again, and a final shot was put into his neck.

Femur/spine impact. This was approximately a 4” diameter wound channel.
View attachment 630525
Was this with standard nose ring?

Last edited:
115 Berger vld hunting seems to want to fly. I was being pickier than I should and only getting the dtacs to shoot 1”-1.4” ten round groups and figured I would try some of these since they were sitting on the bench. I started with a couple 5 round groups which were both right around .5” as well then I cleaned and shot ten, that low right shot was the first round out of the clean tube. You can count it or not, your choice lol. Only an 18” barrel so the velocity isn’t to hot but it will be nice to pack in the NW Montana brush. I’ll throw together another twenty and confirm tomorrow just to make sure before I load up a box or two and go throw them at steel. Es was 29fps over the nine rounds so not super great but good enough.

Attachments

• E27E399B-6F94-404A-83F4-3DA1CD1FF62B.jpeg
    E27E399B-6F94-404A-83F4-3DA1CD1FF62B.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 91
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
115 Berger vld hunting seems to want to fly. I was being pickier than I should and only getting the dtacs to shoot 1”-1.4” ten round groups and figured I would try some of these since they were sitting on the bench. I started with a couple 5 round groups which were both right around .5” as well then I cleaned and shot ten, that low right shot was the first round out of the clean tube. You can count it or not, your choice lol. Only an 18” barrel so the velocity isn’t to hot but it will be nice to pack in the NW Montana brush. I’ll throw together another twenty and confirm tomorrow just to make sure before I load up a box or two and go throw them at steel. Es was 29fps over the nine rounds so not super great but good enough.

I would still shoot the Dtacs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Even with the velocity being not super crazy? I figured at those speeds I wouldn’t have to much to worry about as far as them exploding at closer ranges. I’ve killed a pile of stuff from 40-1200 yards with them out of a 6 creed going 3020 and had good luck so far. Just to clarify a pile of stuff is only 15-20 animals so I’m not claiming the end all be all. Just seems like if I keep the tips open and clean they seem to do their part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would still shoot the Dtacs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure if I needed to quote you for you to see my reply from yesterday as I’m new to using this app. If you’re just busy or don’t care to respond no worries but I’m genuinely curious why you would chose the dtacs over the bergers assuming accuracy does prove to be what it seemed? The one thing I didn’t mention in my previous post is the accuracy at longer range with the dtacs wasn’t really holding up as well as I would like. Seemed like it was averaging somewhere closer to 2 moa when I was shooting steel at 600-1100 yards. Certainly not trying to argue just curious what other people have to say. Cheers!

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Not sure if I needed to quote you for you to see my reply from yesterday as I’m new to using this app. If you’re just busy or don’t care to respond no worries but I’m genuinely curious why you would chose the dtacs over the bergers assuming accuracy does prove to be what it seemed? The one thing I didn’t mention in my previous post is the accuracy at longer range with the dtacs wasn’t really holding up as well as I would like. Seemed like it was averaging somewhere closer to 2 moa when I was shooting steel at 600-1100 yards. Certainly not trying to argue just curious what other people have to say. Cheers!

The Dtac is a better-killing bullet IME on everything I have seen with them from 400 to 1100 yards. I do need to see a few bear shot with them.

My point would be don't give up on them just yet.

Most of us, at best, are 1.5 MOA shooters in the field.

Last edited:
The Dtacs is a better-killing bullet IME on everything I have seen with them from 400 to 1100 yards. I do need to see a few bear shot with them.

My point would be don't give up on them just yet.

Most of us, at best, are 1.5 MOA shooters in the field.

Well I ended up running the last ten dtacs I had loaded past the chronograph and velocity had dropped from 3140fps average to 2970fps average. Guessing the throat is starting to go being as I’ve got about 600 rounds down it and I wasn’t super nice while fireforming, after I added a grain and a half of powder bringing them back up to speed they shot a ten shot 2.1” group at 300 putting them right in there with the bergers. Honestly I’m not going to worry to much either way until I cook this barrel and turn up a new one that I can start with formed brass on. I’ll just keep this one for fire forming.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Well I ended up running the last ten dtacs I had loaded past the chronograph and velocity had dropped from 3140fps average to 2970fps average. Guessing the throat is starting to go being as I’ve got about 600 rounds down it and I wasn’t super nice while fireforming, after I added a grain and a half of powder bringing them back up to speed they shot a ten shot 2.1” group at 300 putting them right in there with the bergers. Honestly I’m not going to worry to much either way until I cook this barrel and turn up a new one that I can start with formed brass on. I’ll just keep this one for fire forming.

Did you do 600 rounds of load dev:)

Did you do 600 rounds of load dev:)

Lol No sir. I did about twenty five rounds of load development. Prior to that I fireformed 300 pieces of brass though. Then I loaded 200 and shot them, plus playing around with the bergers puts me right around 575 rounds. I did order two barrels and a reamer right out of the gate anticipating burning the first one up. I like to try to actually shoot the amount that most people like to say they shoot and I don’t like running out of stuff.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Lol No sir. I did about twenty five rounds of load development. Prior to that I fireformed 300 pieces of brass though. Then I loaded 200 and shot them, plus playing around with the bergers puts me right around 575 rounds. I did order two barrels and a reamer right out of the gate anticipating burning the first one up. I like to try to actually shoot the amount that most people like to say they shoot and I don’t like running out of stuff.

Very nice!

I went to 730 round with the first 6UM, it was toast. As you probably already know 66g and 60 off seem to be the pet load for the DTACs.