The 22 creedmoor thread

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Anyone here been able to extend 22 creed barrel life shooting slower in long barrels ?
What is the determined barrel life? All I’ve seen is speculation or guesses unless I missed some posts here with guys shooting out barrels?

I’m keeping track of my factory tikka barrel and another aftermarket barrel. My tikka has only gotten more accurate the more I’ve shot the 80 ELDXs. Still not as accurate is the 77 TMKs, but close.

Has anyone had trouble with 88ELDM’s not expanding on smaller animals? I had a couple shots that have me scratching my head from my antelope hunt last week. First shot was on a coyote kneeling off of a tripod at 200 yards. Shot felt great and the dog had zero visible reaction, I saw impact with the dirt about two feet above it on the bank it was standing next to. I figured it blew through with minimal expansion and it probably died somewhere a little ways out of sight. About thirty seconds later another ‘yote ran out and stopped in the exact same spot and ended up with a fist sized hole in the far shoulder/front rib area so I know my zero was good. About two hours later I took a shot on an antelope from 190 yards off the tripod kneeling again (a position I practice/shoot from very often and am super consistent and comfortable with) and once again there was zero visible sign of impact and I watched the goat run 1200 yards seemingly unharmed. If I didn’t feel so stable on the shots I would chalk it up to a miss but I consistently shoot 1-1.5 moa from that position and I just ran 15 rounds through the gun from the same position with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Has anyone had trouble with 88ELDM’s not expanding on smaller animals? I had a couple shots that have me scratching my head from my antelope hunt last week. First shot was on a coyote kneeling off of a tripod at 200 yards. Shot felt great and the dog had zero visible reaction, I saw impact with the dirt about two feet above it on the bank it was standing next to. I figured it blew through with minimal expansion and it probably died somewhere a little ways out of sight. About thirty seconds later another ‘yote ran out and stopped in the exact same spot and ended up with a fist sized hole in the far shoulder/front rib area so I know my zero was good. About two hours later I took a shot on an antelope from 190 yards off the tripod kneeling again (a position I practice/shoot from very often and am super consistent and comfortable with) and once again there was zero visible sign of impact and I watched the goat run 1200 yards seemingly unharmed. If I didn’t feel so stable on the shots I would chalk it up to a miss but I consistently shoot 1-1.5 moa from that position and I just ran 15 rounds through the gun from the same position with zero issues.

I’ve seen similar results on coyotes with 32 and 40 grain VMAxs out of a super hot 20 practical and a couple different .204s . I’ve also seen this happen with various grain VMAXs out of .223 and .22-250.

It’s rare when it happened but coyotes, when compared to hoofed big game animals, have a much stronger survival instinct and will travel when hit way more often. You would not believe how far I’ve seen coyotes run with seemingly lethal hits.

I haven’t killed very many antelope but dedicated antelope hunters tell me that they also are notorious for traveling long way when hit. Not sure how accurate this is, as I have no experience there.

Was there any blood/sign that you actually hit either of the suspect animals? I think I'd put bullet failure way down the list of suspected issues.

I didn’t look at the coyote being as I wasn’t to worried about it and I couldn’t find any sign from the antelope however it was standing in an open tall grassy plain that all looked the same so I wasn’t 100% sure of itself exact location when I shot. I know I was within a few yards but I wouldn’t be surprised if I missed a little blood in that terrain. I was able to watch it for several minutes and it kept up with the group with no trouble at all and I couldn’t see any visible signs that it was hurt. The barrel is getting up there in rounds for a 22creed at just over 1000 but it shot ten rounds into 1.3” from the same position this evening and in my experience a barrel doesn’t go from sub 1moa to suddenly missing animals completely when the barrel is toast. I am completely open to the possibility that I missed but the shot was from a very stable position with my wobble zone well within the vitals and the animal was completely oblivious that I was there until the shot. If anyone has any other ideas I would genuinly like to hear them because if it’s a me problem I can fix it, if it’s a bullet problem I can’t do squat and they shoot great out of the rifle.

I’ve seen similar results on coyotes with 32 and 40 grain VMAxs out of a super hot 20 practical and a couple different .204s . I’ve also seen this happen with various grain VMAXs out of .223 and .22-250.

It’s rare when it happened but coyotes, when compared to hoofed big game animals, have a much stronger survival instinct and will travel when hit way more often. You would not believe how far I’ve seen coyotes run with seemingly lethal hits.

I haven’t killed very many antelope but dedicated antelope hunters tell me that they also are notorious for traveling long way when hit. Not sure how accurate this is, as I have no experience there.

I’ve definitely had goats sprint a decent distance but they always look like they’ve been hit. This one showed no sign that I could see that it was injured. Had it not happened twice in one night I would chalk it up to things that happen that make you scratch your head and just move on but both shots felt completely solid and both had the same result. I might have to rescue a couple road killed deers and do some backyard science! lol

waspocrew

WKR
88s have worked well for me on game. Mule deer buck at 315 soaked up a shot in the crease, took some steps, then tipped over. No exit.

Doe antelope at 420 frontal shot, ram about 30 yards and expired.

Coyote at 600 - half dollar sized exit and died on the spot.

Shot a badger at 520 and saw dirt kick up behind him. Saw him drop into his hole and thought I missed. Walked out and found him dead in his hole with about a nickel to quarter sized exit.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone here been able to extend 22 creed barrel life shooting slower in long barrels ?
Ive been running a mild load of h1000 but run 5-7shot strings most the time in a reamed tikka sporter bbl. Yesterday my drops were all over the place, shot a group at distance in dead calm conditions that had wild flier. I checked velocity and my load has lost 100fps. Barrel count 480rds