The 22 creedmoor thread

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Have you found a bullet that works well with something with a very short throat? I'm trying to find something that would work on a barrel that I might have to toss (gunsmith won't touch it since it's nitrided and would ruin his reamers he said).

77tmk is what I am using right now for that very thing.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Any particular reason to sacrifice the bc gain of the 88? Pressure?
My guns are already both 800-900 yard big game killers depending on DA, with 80 ELDX; using 1,800ish FPS as a minimum IV. What are you trying to achieve would be my question?

You're maybe going from what, a 5 MPH gun to a 6 MPH gun? I'd need to run some numbers...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What specific to 22CM makes you choose the 80gr ELD-X over the 80gr ELD-M? Just curious with all the ELD-M love I assumed it would get the nod.

Not specific to the 22 CM. .224 ELD-M’s do not open as quickly as I would prefer at times. The X seems to be more consistent shot to shot in producing a football shaped wound profile.

Duh

WKR
New brass? Alpha ocd is kinda funky. To lean on it, you have to get a few firings on it with just a neck size and bump, or have a loose fitting die. The bottom side their brass is so tough it don't like to grip the chamber until it grows a bit. I had issues with some their brass until I figured that out.
Looking into this now. I’ve noticed more consistency in extreme spreads and SDs with my 1x hornady brass compared to my new and 1x fired Alpha brass. Slower velocity but definitely more consistent and slightly better groups.

Does the gripping of the chamber cause that sort of issue with consistency on velocity/ext spread?

khuber84

WKR
Looking into this now. I’ve noticed more consistency in extreme spreads and SDs with my 1x hornady brass compared to my new and 1x fired Alpha brass. Slower velocity but definitely more consistent and slightly better groups.

Does the gripping of the chamber cause that sort of issue with consistency on velocity/ext spread?
It would likely give larger SD #s. Some cases will grip, others not, pressure fluctuates at a higher rate.

khuber84

WKR
Which may explain my jump in velocity with 3x fired Alpha brass. I went from 2940 to around 3000 on a 400 rd ct barrel.
That's a pretty big jump, I'm talking newer brass will have 12-15SD, ES of say 30-40 and good gripping brass with have single digit SD with es of 20-25. I've noticed this with alpha 22gt, 6gt, 2cm and 6cm. The gt brass grips well after one firing, creed takes 2 for some reason.