The 22 creedmoor thread

Went out right before dark and shot a 10shot group prone with rear bag and Harris bi pod at 100 to check zero with the 80gr eldm at 3050fps peterson virgin brass 18” bbl 8.25lb gun, wind was 5mph5cl Measured 0.77” it was a little high. Didn’t have a cover on the can so after 7 shots it was getting hard to see.
Let it cool off in the fan for 5min then set it back up and dialed for 755 yards, wind was 3mph9cl now. It was pretty much dark now and I couldn’t see my 6” orange dot on the steel any more (March FMA-2 reticle 1/8moa floating dot) so I aimed at the bottom edge of the dot on the white and dialed 15moa Up .75moa L and sent 3. Group went for 1.85”/.23Moa.
This reamed out tikka barrel has shot 5 3shot groups at 755yards from 1.6-1.9” in decent conditions with no load development. I just loaded them up 1.5gr under pressure with h-1000 and jammed in the lands -.005” Been pretty happy with this build at about half the price of most customs. I have 90gr pointed SMK’s,62gr eld vt, and 52SMK’s, and 77tmks to shoot next.
Pic of the rifle is actually my tikka .233rem but they are identical builds besides the bolt fluting on the .223Rem below
View attachment 690353
View attachment 690354
View attachment 690355

That’s good shooting! I want to try the new vt for coyotes. I broke the creed in on two coyotes now and while the 88s shot a great 10 shot group and I’m gonna take them big game hunting they leave a little to be desired on small coyotes.

This one got away at 512 it walked over the hill and I closed the bolt but 2 hours later it screwed up and hung around a little too long 200 yards bang flop
af5d32dae057146291c3c363f53c1fa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m curious about the VT In my creedmoor as well.

Part of me thinks with a 7 twist I’m just going to blow them up, but at the same time, Hornady is saying 7 twist for 22arc. I’m probably not going to be much faster than the arc in a 16” barrel when it comes down to rpm.

I wonder if Hornady has done something to combat rpm blowups.

I also got some 80 eldx to try. May hunt with those this year.

Did you find a bc number for the eldx? I found some numbers for the 80 grain match and depending on how much fast they are it seemed to gain a little over the 88. I know what I have with the 88 and am thinking I’m going to take the 22 for a late season Arizona bull hunt. I’m probably overthinking the 2 choices completely

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Did you find a bc number for the eldx? I found some numbers for the 80 grain match and depending on how much fast they are it seemed to gain a little over the 88. I know what I have with the 88 and am thinking I’m going to take the 22 for a late season Arizona bull hunt. I’m probably overthinking the 2 choices completely

Hornady list the 80eldx as the same g7 as the 80 eldm.

For me it’s just something more to try. My barrel shoots the 77s really really good, it shoots the 88s okay. I’m hoping I can get the 80 going 3000, still makes it a 6mph rifle in local conditions.

I’ll likely only have whitetail and hopefully antelope on the menu this year but my plan is to carry the 22 creed again.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome, I like that fluted bolt. I love my Tikka may be my preferred rifle from now on. I never tried mine that tight it seems to like .30 of with 75 eldms. Might try 80s next time I load some. Got some 77 tmks just haven't had the need to try anything. Pretty good for speed for 18 inch gun I never tried h1000 once I tried varget never looked back.
I’ve been having a few bolts done lately with the wrought iron fluting, it has grown on me and looks sharp. That’s a mild load of h-1000 with hornady or alpha brass. It will run 3200fps on the top end with the 80s but I feel no need to push my long range load. I shot the 90 pointed SMK’s a little bit last week at 2960 with h1000. They took a little more effort but not much and I had them shooting 1/2moa 5 shot groups jammed in the lands also. After 440rounds my throat hasn’t moved much. I like to jam sometimes with virgin brass but I’m jumping them in my 223rem and they shoot great also both my rifles like the 80gr eldm
That’s good shooting! I want to try the new vt for coyotes. I broke the creed in on two coyotes now and while the 88s shot a great 10 shot group and I’m gonna take them big game hunting they leave a little to be desired on small coyotes.

This one got away at 512 it walked over the hill and I closed the bolt but 2 hours later it screwed up and hung around a little too long 200 yards bang flop
af5d32dae057146291c3c363f53c1fa6.jpg

Thanks, I wanting to try the 62 vt also for coyotes. Although the one yote i shot with the 80s worked great and upset better than I would have thought. Same result with my friends 16” running 80s on a yote. I can see the 88s having less upset as they are running slower.
I’m curious about the VT In my creedmoor as well.

Part of me thinks with a 7 twist I’m just going to blow them up, but at the same time, Hornady is saying 7 twist for 22arc. I’m probably not going to be much faster than the arc in a 16” barrel when it comes down to rpm.

I wonder if Hornady has done something to combat rpm blowups.

I also got some 80 eldx to try. May hunt with those this year.
I don’t think you will have any issues. This high rpm concern was brought up in another discussion. A hornady engineer jumped in saying he tried a whole day to blow one up and couldn’t. He was using the 6.5mm 100gr in a 6.5prc test barrel that was blowing up bergers, sierras, and Hornady bullets. Said he ran them at 3750 in that barrel and got the it very hot where you couldn’t touch it for 30min after and still couldn’t get one to come apart. So that was good to hear. I’m thinking I can run the 62vts at 3450-3500 should make for a flat shooting coyote hammer.

I don’t think you will have any issues. This high rpm concern was brought up in another discussion. A hornady engineer jumped in saying he tried a whole day to blow one up and couldn’t. He was using the 6.5mm 100gr in a 6.5prc test barrel that was blowing up bergers, sierras, and Hornady bullets. Said he ran them at 3750 in that barrel and got the it very hot where you couldn’t touch it for 30min after and still couldn’t get one to come apart. So that was good to hear. I’m thinking I can run the 62vts at 3450-3500 should make for a flat shooting coyote hammer.

3450 would be impressive your shooting the same barrel as I am 18” punched out tikka. The 88s have me happy a small sample size but was getting 3020 with reloader 23 and once fired Peterson brass just didn’t like the 1 runner in the guns defense I should have 100% shot that yote twice but was looking for the other one that was chasing the deer.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
No I have it now but thank you.

Pressure tested the 62vt’s this morning with Hornady brass and shot a few groups.

Load was 42gr h4350 roughly +.030” jump with fed 210s. It produced an avg of 3410fps. Groups weren’t that great but ill tune it a little more before I try Varget. I get light ej marks at 42.5gr with Hornady brass but with Alpha I’m sure you could run close to 3500 without any issues.

ID_Matt

WKR
3450 would be impressive your shooting the same barrel as I am 18” punched out tikka. The 88s have me happy a small sample size but was getting 3020 with reloader 23 and once fired Peterson brass just didn’t like the 1 runner in the guns defense I should have 100% shot that yote twice but was looking for the other one that was chasing the deer.

What's your powder charge with RL23 and the 88's?

What's your powder charge with RL23 and the 88's?

Virgin brass was 41.5 after I shot all of that it started showing some pressure signs and opened the group up like it did when I tried to push harder the first loading. I dropped half a grain and hoping to be back around 2950 where it shot the best.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
No I have it now but thank you.

Pressure tested the 62vt’s this morning with Hornady brass and shot a few groups.

Load was 42gr h4350 roughly +.030” jump with fed 210s. It produced an avg of 3410fps. Groups weren’t that great but ill tune it a little more before I try Varget. I get light ej marks at 42.5gr with Hornady brass but with Alpha I’m sure you could run close to 3500 without any issues.
Tested Varget, accuracy and velocity looked more promising than h4350. Will have to shoot again in better conditions the wind is blowing 25-30 here but groups still looked better than 4350

18” bbl
Hornady brass
Varget
Fed210
62 eld vt
Coal 2.635 +.030”
40.5gr 3550fps

Saw an ej mark at 42gr 3644fps

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about ordering a Preferred barrel blank in 22 creed and I am wondering what contour from them would fit in a d18 Tikka inlet?

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got my XLR Magnesium, Hope to get out tomorrow to shoot a little.
20240329_180629.jpg

kkp005

WKR
I’m sure this was mentioned somewhere in the thread but didn’t come across it.
I currently have an 18” tikka 8twist in 22-250. Getting almost 3k fps with h4350 and 77gr tmk’s…. Is there really any reason to rechamber it to a 22creed?? Would I see much up a velocity gain ? I know components are easier to find for the creed. I’ve already got the 22cm dies and some srp Peterson brass

I currently have an 18” tikka 8twist in 22-250. Getting almost 3k fps with h4350 and 77gr tmk’s…. Is there really any reason to rechamber it to a 22creed?? Would I see much up a velocity gain ? I know components are easier to find for the creed. I’ve already got the 22cm dies and some srp Peterson brass
Not much and not enough to make a difference. Honestly I would just continue shooting it and when it’s ready for a re-barrel get a 22 creedmoor barrel.

On the same barrel just redone to 22 creed I’m almost 3k with reloader 23 and 88 eldm. I haven’t tried 4350 yet but I’d say it’s not worth the money for the little you gain I did it to be different no one around here has a 22 creed

What’s the word on factory hornady ammo availability for the 22 cm. Haven’t seen it since it was first released.