"That" gun

tater

WKR
I'm sure we all have one.
"That" gun. It may not be pretty, or as light as we would like it to be. Maybe the caliber is on the edge what is considered effective (or overkill) for the game we chase with it sometimes.
It may have sentimental value and bring great memories in the field or maybe it just fits like is was made just for you and when you point it s**t dies, and dies quickly.
You know in your head that there are better choices, but "that" gun just keeps getting dragged around the hills.

Mine? There are two: a 1975 Browning B-78 in 25-06 that i bought for a project and then discovered it was a great shooter (despite 40 years of abuse by the original owner) and a 1986 M70 pushfeed in .338WM that was my Dad's that points crisply and loves 225Gr Barnes.

What are "those" guns in your safe that you just need to give field time to even though you may have better choices?

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
.264 Winchester mag. Model 70. My dad bought it for me from my cousin in 1979 for $96 (that’s all the $ he had on him and my cousin needed the money).

You can shoot 90 grain bullets all the way up to 150ish. Gophers to elk, I’ve harvested them all with this gun. I’m in process of having this gun stock bedded, barrel reblued and trigger work. My dad refinished the stock for me in 1983 and put the case and primer of the spent .264 round in the side of the stock. Lots of great memories with this rifle. It’ll kill almost anything on the planet and has great ballistics. I don’t carry it as often anymore but that will change once I get these upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old Rem 700 30-06. My first rifle. My dad got it for me after all our guns were stolen the summer before I deer hunted the first time. Killed a really nice 8pt the first day of season.

Hunted with it for 30 straight years. Retired it about 10 years ago for a Rem Mtn Rifle in 7-08. She stepped right in where the ole girl left off.

Have a couple other rifles I’ve dabbled with the last two years. Will have to see where it all goes now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

70's Remington ADL in 270. Bought it for $200 a dozen or so years ago. Shoots 140 gr SST's lights out. It is light and handles like a dream. The wife started hunting 5 years ago and latched on to it..... Now I am looking for another "that" gun for myself....

I change my guns around so much these days that I haven't settled on Ol' Reliable yet but there are certainly candidates now. Recently it's been my Cooper M52 in .30-06 that I've been hunting with this year, that'll likely be a mainstay for my hunts due to its simplicity. I had a Mausingfield/Proof barreled action sitting in my safe that is on the way back to me after having a Manners EH1 and TriggerTech Special installed. That will probably be my other go-to.

If anything I'd say I have a go-to suppressor more than a go-to rifle. Every time I hunt with my TBAC Ultra-9, deer seem to step out and die. I now have a TBAC 22-Takedown, Ultra-5, Ultra-7, Ultra-9, and 338 Ultra. But somehow I always come back to the Ultra-9 for centerfire hunting and 22-TD for rimfire, those two are my MVPs.

Mine isnt an old gun that I have a bunch of history with, its a newer Tikka 300 win mag that I just have complete confidence in. Every animal that I have pointed it at has come home with me. I also have a Tikka in 7-08 that I have used on a few hunts since I have had the 300 and while I really like that 7-08 I have missed a few animals with it, a pretty nice buck this season in fact. After that miss I switched back to the 300 and killed a buck the next time out...just have good mojo with that particular gun.

robtattoo

WKR
Savage Axis I bought in 2010.
Restocked it, rebarrelled it from '06 to 6.5x55, had it cerakoted & it just flat out shoots.
I've got better, lighter, faster, flatter & much prettier, but if I'm hunting near home & I need to kill shit.....it's coming along.20191121_163120.jpg

16Bore

WKR
Old reliable has to be OLD!! 😜

That M70 is a ‘69 push feed 270. Its had 10 different stocks on it, who knows how many scopes & mounts, and there’s never been ammo that “won’t shoot”. Has a kerosene can “shim” under the rear base because it’s off by 0.025”, front screws are tapped 6x48, rears are 8x40....done by hand as I was cussing it and not even drilled out. Sights were from a Safari something or nother...most recent “upgrade”. Scope is 35+ years old. Trigger takes almost two fingers and everyone who tries to shoot it thinks the safety is still on.

Which is funny as shit.....

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
When I first held a Rem 700 CDL, I loved the thinner, lighter stock. It just felt great to me. So, I got one in a favorite cartridge, the 25-06. Topped it with a 6x Leupold and put it to work on coyotes, pronghorn and mule deer. :)

Liked it so much that a few years later I got one in 30-06 too. That one now wears another 6x Leupold. I had them both pillar bedded, the barrels free-floated, and the triggers both set at 3 pounds. I handoad for them, and both rifles have been very successful here in Washington and in Wyoming. Took the 30-06 CDL to Alaska a couple of years ago for wolf & grizzly.
lPM7rhbh.jpg

BLA5Gydh.jpg

KaCBvzqh.jpg

udxbhYdh.jpg

I have other rifles, but those two are the ones I use most often. They still feel great to me, and shoot great too.

Regards, Guy