Texas hog hunts?

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a good lead on a place to go and shoot some hogs in Texas, looking for something were me and a buddy can drive down for a few days and shoot a few hogs. Dont need to kill a pile of them just a few a piece and not rape the wallet at the same time.

Thanks

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
what area are you wanting to drive to? What weapon? Do you want to hunt public land or are you wanting to do a guided hunt? How do you feel about high fences and how do you feel about hunting over bait?

R_burg

WKR
what area are you wanting to drive to? What weapon? Do you want to hunt public land or are you wanting to do a guided hunt? How do you feel about high fences and how do you feel about hunting over bait?

I am looking as well.

I want to hunt with rifle. Guide/Ranch is ok with me, as long as its reasonably priced. I am just looking for a way to get out with my brother and have a good time when he gets back from Afghanistan. He lives in San Antonio and I am in AZ, so something in the Central or West part of the state is preferable for me.

I dont really love the idea of hunting over bait, but when I was looking at guides/ranches, it seems like a lot of them do that. Havent thought about high fences yet, to be honest. I thought many ranches were fenced.

gelton

WKR
If you dont like hunting over bait, dont bother coming as hogs are pretty much noctornul and the only people shooting them are either using night vision, helo hunting or hunting over bait.

Focus on the central to eastern part of the state since the drier, rockier terrain doesnt hold as many. Here are a couple that I googled up (not vouching for them because I have never used them) -

Hog Hunting in Texas 4J Ranch | Texas Hog Hunting ranch

DB Hunting Ranch-Texas Hill Country Hog and Exotic Hunting

Hog Hunting SKULL CREEK RANCH - COLUMBUS, TEXAS

All of em are pretty reasonable ~$150 per day per hunter includes one hog each, extra hogs for $100 ea. Also, most of these are for day hunts, without a lodge...if you are looking for lodging too google is your friend.

R_burg

WKR
Appreciate the tips. Hunting over bait wasnt a deal breaker for me, so thats fine. I will look at central Texas.

I have googled as well, so if anyone has first hand experience with any ranches I would appreciate it.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you want number of hogs look down around Victoria area. Coastal area with a ton of pigs. I know guys that have hunted at the Haun Ranch – (361) 275-3809 or (361) 550-7925 . They offer nigh hunts with night vision provided. Not crazy expensive or you can hunt during the day. The night hunting option is usual a guarantee you'll find hogs and actually be able to shoot them. We have a place about 20 miles north of there and my brother in law said the hogs are still pretty nocturnal.

If you're after a bowhunt and don't mind a high fence and bait. You can't beat the www.doublelranch.net . Good prices and great people.

robie

WKR
My two cents, if you are going to travel to Texas just to shoot a pig look into the nigh vision hunts.

Its unlike any experience you will have and I can't describe the boredom you will experience sitting in a stand from dusk till 4am depending on when the hogs show up at a feeder. We own land that has hogs hitting our feeders every night but sometimes it is 30 minutes before dark and sometimes it is 4am, no way I would sit there that long for a pig.

My wife bought me a trip with Tactical Hog Control for my birthday a few years back. I'm not sure if $600 each is out of your budget but the perks are:
Gen 3 Military grade nigh-vision goggles and scope. - My wife came a long and didn't shoot, said she would go again just to look at the stars through the gear. Truly amazing what the world looks like through the googles.

Thermal - I watched a coyote stalk up on bedded deer in tall grass. Amazing to see the glowing white animals at night.

Weapons - Suppressed ar-15,ar-10's. Just fun to shoot if you've never shot a rifle with a suppressor. No hearing protection needed.

My two cents, if you are going to travel to Texas just to shoot a pig look into the nigh vision hunts.

Its unlike any experience you will have and I can't describe the boredom you will experience sitting in a stand from dusk till 4am depending on when the hogs show up at a feeder. We own land that has hogs hitting our feeders every night but sometimes it is 30 minutes before dark and sometimes it is 4am, no way I would sit there that long for a pig.

My wife bought me a trip with Tactical Hog Control for my birthday a few years back. I'm not sure if $600 each is out of your budget but the perks are:
Gen 3 Military grade nigh-vision goggles and scope. - My wife came a long and didn't shoot, said she would go again just to look at the stars through the gear. Truly amazing what the world looks like through the googles.

Thermal - I watched a coyote stalk up on bedded deer in tall grass. Amazing to see the glowing white animals at night.

Weapons - Suppressed ar-15,ar-10's. Just fun to shoot if you've never shot a rifle with a suppressor. No hearing protection needed.

This or heli hog hunt.

If you want a true spot and stalk archery hog/javi hunt, look at Callaghan ranch

Tex68w

WKR
If you want number of hogs look down around Victoria area. Coastal area with a ton of pigs. I know guys that have hunted at the Haun Ranch – (361) 275-3809 or (361) 550-7925 . They offer nigh hunts with night vision provided. Not crazy expensive or you can hunt during the day. The night hunting option is usual a guarantee you'll find hogs and actually be able to shoot them. We have a place about 20 miles north of there and my brother in law said the hogs are still pretty nocturnal.

If you're after a bowhunt and don't mind a high fence and bait. You can't beat the www.doublelranch.net . Good prices and great people.

I live in Victoria and I will say that some of, if not the best hog hunting in Texas is in this immediate area. You want to focus on south Texas, pretty much from Corpus heading north up the coast line to the southern part of east Texas. Wet wooded areas and anywhere there is row crop land would be ideal. I personally have access to thousands of acres in my family so I have only paid once to hog hunt in my life and that was a Heli hunt. I would make offers to bring people out but that ends up turning into a rabbit hole of everyone making requests and with crops in the field there's the extra liability from March to July.

You will always do better at night, so definitely plan on hunting at night for your best results. NV is nice but you can get jut as many spotlighting and riding around, I know, we do both. Remember that it is hunting just the same as anything else, you might run into 40+ hogs one night and get completely skunked the next, so if you are going to travel that far I'd set aside 2-5 days to give yourself the best odds. If you come to the Texas coast to hunt them throw in a bay fishing trip to mix it up and offset a slow night. We have some of the best Redfish and Trout fishing in the country. Here's an example of what can happen in less than 10 minutes with nothing more than SxS ATV and a spotlight.

robie

WKR
NV is nice but you can get jut as many spotlighting and riding around, I know, we do both.

Are you comparing redneck hunting from a truck vs playing with some night-vision gear and spot and stalk?

No offense intended and I'm fine drinking beer and driving around the ranch, but if I'm coming from out of state I want to do something a little different.

OP really needs to decide what he wants to get out of it and how much he wants to pay.

I've also seen some places that "guide" hog hunts that have the night time lights on their feeders where you walk from feeder to feeder looking for pigs under one of them.

Tex68w

WKR
Are you comparing redneck hunting from a truck vs playing with some night-vision gear and spot and stalk?

No offense intended and I'm fine drinking beer and driving around the ranch, but if I'm coming from out of state I want to do something a little different.

OP really needs to decide what he wants to get out of it and how much he wants to pay.

I've also seen some places that "guide" hog hunts that have the night time lights on their feeders where you walk from feeder to feeder looking for pigs under one of them.

Lol, are you serious? Yea, like rednecks own Gen 3 NV, handheld thermal, NFA items like SBR's and suppressors, Rangers/Razors, and thousands of acres of privately owned land. NV and thermal helps to spot them but I assure you that bearing down on them in atv's/sxs's as they scatter is much more effecient than popping a few as they come to the green light at your feeder. We have killed over 60 since the start of the year on our land alone so I wouldn't consider us "rednecks driving around in trucks." If you want your money's worth and an experience of a lifetime then come down and hunt them dogs and knives. If anyone is seriously interested in hunting pigs over dogs then send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a professional guide who is one of the best in this part of the state.

If you want to travel half way across the country to spend $100-150 per pig as you sit in a blind waiting for them to come to a feeder then be my guest, to me that's a chicken-shit way of hunting pigs and provides no thrill at all. You'd be much better off blowing a load on a 2hr heli hunt imho than to sit in a stand and wait.

robie

WKR
Lol, are you serious? Yea, like rednecks own Gen 3 NV, handheld thermal, NFA items like SBR's and suppressors, Rangers/Razors, and thousands of acres of privately owned land. NV and thermal helps to spot them but I assure you that bearing down on them in atv's/sxs's as they scatter is much more effecient than popping a few as they come to the green light at your feeder. We have killed over 60 since the start of the year on our land alone so I wouldn't consider us "rednecks driving around in trucks." If you want your money's worth and an experience of a lifetime then come down and hunt them dogs and knives. If anyone is seriously interested in hunting pigs over dogs then send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a professional guide who is one of the best in this part of the state.

If you want to travel half way across the country to spend $100-150 per pig as you sit in a blind waiting for them to come to a feeder then be my guest, to me that's a chicken-shit way of hunting pigs and provides no thrill at all. You'd be much better off blowing a load on a 2hr heli hunt imho than to sit in a stand and wait.

I'm just busting your chops. But the only people I know that own Gen 3 NV and thermal's are rednecks. Redneck doesn't equal broke, and I sure as hell don't mean it as an offensive term. Hard working farm boys with only night time free and the land to play on. So truck or SxS its all fun.

Hog doggin is a great suggestion! OP you should take him up on that offer for a contact. Hell of a thrill and you never know what size pig the catch dogs will get.

I would put them in this order:
1. Heli Hunt
2. Hog Doggin
3. Night Vision/Thermal Hunt

OP
Wasatchbuck

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info gents. I could really care less about hunting over bait or not. To be quite honest I just want kill a few pigs and have a little fun doing it. Not really looking at this like a high country mule deer hunt, just some good ole fun with a few guns I rarely get to shoot.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
??? Most are archery and shotgun only. And blaze orange is required. Public land, you takes yourchances.[/Q]

Depends on where in the state you are. I understand the blaze orange requirement, but it gets pretty hairy on the east side.

Felix40

WKR
??? Most are archery and shotgun only. And blaze orange is required. Public land, you takes yourchances.[/Q]

Depends on where in the state you are. I understand the blaze orange requirement, but it gets pretty hairy on the east side.

Not really.

Sounds like the op isn't looking for a public land hunt anyway. You're going to need to go to a ranch to kill a few hogs each in just a few days. Unless you really know what you're doing.