Teton insulated jacket

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If one already has a decent down puffy is there any real good reason one should consider grabbing one of these jackets? I realize they are supposed to breath more, etc. but I would rarely (if ever) have an insulation layer of that nature on while actively hiking. The sale pricing makes it sorta tempting to check out but I have am OR 650fill Transcendent Sweater in green in the closet already so I'm thinking save my money here... (Men's Transcendent Sweater | Outdoor Research | Designed By Adventure | Outdoor Clothing & Gear). Anyone that owns one have thoughts?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a recent trip we had temps in the mid fifties and a down sloping wind coming off a lake at 11k, wind chill was about 38. Hiking uphill for 2 miles I wore the teton over a very light poly tee with no sweating, no over heating. I saw many people stop to change layers several times, i never had to.

This is my summer to early season puffy. Come constant cold it makes a great mid layer under my synthetic puffy. It's quiet and stretches. Has good dwr.

For bow season it has replaced my loud overkill puffy and a fleece shirt.

I also dunked it in the sink to see how fast it will dry and feel that the breathability allowing air flow increases dry time.

Plan on this doing well for still hunting on chilly bowseason mornings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My planned layers for mid Oct were merino long sleeve, a fleece long sleeve, puffy, rain jacket. Being a rifle guy in prior years I have a fleece orange vest on so with that I'm usually just wearing a thermal long sleeve and vest when moving unless its below 40deg. I am switching to a thinner material vest this year though so will loose some warmth. Hard to imagine hiking with a puffy in most cases but good to know it vents well.

Feel like much is lost in the lack of pit zips on the teton considering it breaths well?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not much, keep in mind the kenai has more insulation in the torso so more of a need for pitzips.

The teton can go through oct with a base layer change up.

You find yourself not toasty but just right. Under a wind proof shell it feels even warmer.

My goal for clothes was to minimize changing layers. With my 125 merino and teton puffy I could wear 90% of the time in bow season.
For my November hunt I will use the teton under my hooded synthetic and leave the rain and soft shell. So it has a place later in the year too.

I'm also impressed with how well it bounces back after being in a stuff sack. Nice that it is a continuous fiber so no cold spots.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would replace your fleece while weighing the same but be warmer,

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Inbox cleaned out, try resending

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you have a pic of how small it packs up? does it pack up into its pocket or anything?
Never tried it since the pockets are not zippered. Here is a few shots. 1 in its pocket ( don't recommend, ) 2. In stuff sack. 3. Stuff sack compressed with belt. Also size medium in stuff sack weighs 11.9 oz.
5fb9092a20adf4465d7973e52e9478c2.jpg
c10931bc580adea37746d1eeafa6aefd.jpg
657f0ae589a8a89e5c2daf80cd124646.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
One more next to a women's petite EB 750 down
5a52ad23ec8d6238e942562b56b3e19a.jpg