Testing the 2018 Stone Glacier EVO Frame & 40/56 bag

jnordwell

FNG
I picked up a evo frame but went with sky archer bag.. perfect setup works for my body and my hunting ,hiking needs...best purchase in a while...love it.

Palacian

FNG
The review is published and in the link above. See post #112.

It's a great pack and frame built for a more narrow range of uses. check out the review to see if it's right for you.
-Josh
Josh, did you prefer the 40/56 or the sky archer?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh, did you prefer the 40/56 or the sky archer?
For an all around backpacking setup I prefer the Sky Archer. For minimalist type of hunts where I want to shed every possible ounce then the 40/56 is what I take. You have to ask yourself what type of hunt do you do most often and run with that bag.

Fellas looking for an opinion. Ive had the original Krux since they first came out. Packed many animals out with it over the years. This past week I packed my bull out in 3 trips. Pack was heavy but doubt it was over 80lbs. I had the load strapped down well and really had the load lifters pulled tight And it it killed my hips to the point I would have to stop more often than I’d like to lift the pack up to take pressure off the hips.

I am wondering if the belts of the evo or xcurve would help with this. I can’t remember past pack outs hurting my hips this bad...

Kotaman

WKR
Fellas looking for an opinion. Ive had the original Krux since they first came out. Packed many animals out with it over the years. This past week I packed my bull out in 3 trips. Pack was heavy but doubt it was over 80lbs. I had the load strapped down well and really had the load lifters pulled tight And it it killed my hips to the point I would have to stop more often than I’d like to lift the pack up to take pressure off the hips.

I am wondering if the belts of the evo or xcurve would help with this. I can’t remember past pack outs hurting my hips this bad...

I don’t know that the belt would help, but the Xcurve frame might. I cannot wear the Original Krux or EVO Frame, but the XCurve fits me like it was made for me.

I don’t know that the belt would help, but the Xcurve frame might. I cannot wear the Original Krux or EVO Frame, but the XCurve fits me like it was made for me.

EXACT same situation for me. I owned an original Krux several years ago. Horribly painful REGUARDLESS what I did. Tried the Evo last year, same thing. Was about to quit the SG idea but decided to try the X-Curve. INCREDIBLY comfortable!!!! For me, The difference is night and day compared to the previous two. The shape, how it rides so close to your back. Outstanding!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The x curve is an awesome frame, I just switched to the 40/56 bag last week and was able to play with it a bit this weekend. IMO, the 40/56 with an x curve frame is an awesome set up, still under 5lbs with the lid, streamlined design and since my frame was already set up for me there was no messing around, I just clipped on the new bag and was good.

im on the fence with the evo frame, I sort of want to try it, especially since I can get one shipped to AK for ~ 300 bucks but I’m worried that I’ll be disappointed then take a bath on it with shipping when I sell it.

Your definitely not gaining any comfort switching to an Evo. I understand people looking to cut weight. But at what cost?? You go from an 8lb MR pack to a 5.5 SG that's understandable. But to save 4-5oz and sacrifice comfort? NEVER! Cut weight somewhere else in your gear. When I used Kifaru packs I even chose aluminum stays so I could get a PERFECT contour of my back. Not just a so so fit with carbon stays. Where as my X-Curve fits to perfection.

Last edited:
EXACT same situation for me. I owned an original Krux several years ago. Horribly painful REGUARDLESS what I did. Tried the Evo last year, same thing. Was about to quit the SG idea but decided to try the X-Curve. INCREDIBLY comfortable!!!! For me, The difference is night and day compared to the previous two. The shape, how it rides so close to your back. Outstanding!
Was the pain in your hips? Or elsewhere? The pressure on my hips has me considering the xcurve.

deadwolf

WKR
The Evo and Krux seem to cater to lanky type of guys with a flat back profile. If you stand with your back and heels flat against the wall, and can slide your hand or fist into the small of your back with room to spare, the Xcurve is gonna fit and the Krux/Evo will likely be uncomfortable. I’ve had both and now use an Xcurve with an extra piece of foam in the lumbar pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the pain in your hips? Or elsewhere? The pressure on my hips has me considering the xcurve.

Was EXACTLY IN MY HIPS! I tried everything. 6 different thicknesses of foam for the lumbar. 20 adjustments of straps and Velcro. I guess it was just not for me? I honestly had to force myself to give them one more (3rd time) try. So glad I did. Absolutely no comparison in comfort.

Was EXACTLY IN MY HIPS! I tried everything. 6 different thicknesses of foam for the lumbar. 20 adjustments of straps and Velcro. I guess it was just not for me? I honestly had to force myself to give them one more (3rd time) try. So glad I did. Absolutely no comparison in comfort.
That’s great to hear. I’m going to have to give xcurve a try

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info guys, following your recent post has helped narrow down the search within the SG packs. I’m still undecided on which brand I’m going with( SG, MR, Kifaru, Exo, Eberlestock). I’ve narrowed it down within these brands and now time to get the reviews on them all.
thanks for letting me listen in

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
I went from an MR Marshall to Stone Glacier 40/56. The Mystery Ranch is a great pack but the SG was more comfortable with heavy loads. Also...I'm a fan of the one big compartment and a "spotting scope" pocket on the SG vs the crazy amount of pockets on the other bags. The SG is stupid light and can compress down to a daypack or for a 6-7 day elk hunt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JMG22

FNG
I have received a new Krux EVO frame with a EVO 40/65 bag for an extended test and review under a normal season of use. Some may recall the thread where I tested the Sky Archer 6200 in 2016 as an extended test. Again, the goal is to write a review after putting the pack through some serious use and and relay my findings to the readers of Rokslide. As I use the frame and pack I'll be posting to this thread to keep everyone up to date on how it's being used, add photos, gather test suggestions, and answer questions.

For those who don't know, I've a little history with Stone Glacier. Over the past few years, in various combinations, I've used a Krux frame with a one piece belt, a Krux frame with a two-piece belt, and an Xcurve frame paired to a Solo 3300, a Sky 5100, a Sky Archer 6200, and a Minimalist. I have used almost every major pack manufacturer out there including Kifaru, Mystery Ranch (old and new versions), Kuiu, Sitka, and others. Like the last review, hopefully I can offer a good comparison between the Stone Glacier line and others.

The use this season should be similar as I'm always doing winter work in the backcountry, spring bear hunts, and summer backpacking. Inevitably I seem to carry few loads of elk and mule deer meat and out of the mountains and I hope this year is no different.

Hit me up with questions, thoughts, or comments throughout the testing. Also check the thread on the Sky Archer to see how that pack held up. It can be found here: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/44840-testing-stone-glacier-sky-archer-6200-a.html

attachment.php
Thank you for sharing. This is super helpful!