Testing Procedures for Boots (Inside the House)

Hi everyone,

First apologies if this specific topic has been discussed elsewhere, I did search but couldn't find anything. Looking for everyone's opinions on how to test new mountain boots (and/or compare different brands/models at the same time) in the house before deciding which boots are "the ones" and sending the rest back. Regardless of which brand, how do you all replicate real world in the house? Sidehilling, switchbacking, uphill toe picking, etc. The one thing I've realized is that walking around on flat carpet / wood floors does not equate to the mountain at all! But the moment you take the boots outside, you can't return them.

What h*ll are you guys putting your new boots through in the house?

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
For me, all that really matters is how they fit, how flexible they are, the tread they have, and how heavy they are. I feel like you can get a pretty good idea of how they’re going to work on the mountain from a simple walk around the living room. Obviously they’ll work a bit differently once broken in but that should give you an idea.

I will wear the boots generally about 2x doing random stuff around the house and going to the store or work. If I don't notice anything functionally wrong, I'll take them on a hunt.

Remnv89

FNG
This has been on my mind the last couple months also, Im in the same boat getting close to pulling the trigger on some boots to try. Past experience with fitting shoes has taught me its not so much the true feel in the terrain but the true fit with the type of sock that work good for you with your feet not to crammed but not to loose based on your best measurements following the manufactures size chart. Now beyond figuring that out slipping them on and saying oh ya these feel good should one find some carpet covered staircase and take them for a spin up and down some flights of stairs keeping them clean? before fully making the decision to keep them and take them out into the field and put some true miles on?

OP
Alpha Echo
I'm thinking not only going up and down stairs, but somehow mimicking the various "footholds" on the mountain. Maybe something like this?:
1. only planting the very edge of toes on the way up (mimicking toe picking on hikes up the mountain)
2. use only heels on tread on the way down (I don't know the term of what you're mimicking but basically digging in your heels while hiking down)
3. trying to hold the inner and outer lengths of the soles on the edges of the stair treads as a means to test sidehilling

You bring up a good point about carpeting. Unfortunately my steps are wood, but I bet carpeting would help "mimic" the organic materials of a mountainside better when doing the tests. But I also wonder if any other guys have any other ways of testing. Anyone??

Hi everyone,

First apologies if this specific topic has been discussed elsewhere, I did search but couldn't find anything. Looking for everyone's opinions on how to test new mountain boots (and/or compare different brands/models at the same time) in the house before deciding which boots are "the ones" and sending the rest back. Regardless of which brand, how do you all replicate real world in the house? Sidehilling, switchbacking, uphill toe picking, etc. The one thing I've realized is that walking around on flat carpet / wood floors does not equate to the mountain at all! But the moment you take the boots outside, you can't return them.

What h*ll are you guys putting your new boots through in the house?
Stairs tell me the most from at the house only, stairs will give me a good idea if I will have heel slip, which is an instant no go for me

Stairs. Calf raises. Bear crawl if you want. Walk on the tips of your toes. All those will tell you if you have heel slip or if or toes will jam into the front of the boots. I also do squats to calf raises

TaperPin

WKR
I'm thinking not only going up and down stairs, but somehow mimicking the various "footholds" on the mountain. Maybe something like this?:
1. only planting the very edge of toes on the way up (mimicking toe picking on hikes up the mountain)
2. use only heels on tread on the way down (I don't know the term of what you're mimicking but basically digging in your heels while hiking down)
3. trying to hold the inner and outer lengths of the soles on the edges of the stair treads as a means to test sidehilling

You bring up a good point about carpeting. Unfortunately my steps are wood, but I bet carpeting would help "mimic" the organic materials of a mountainside better when doing the tests. But I also wonder if any other guys have any other ways of testing. Anyone??
Wiener dogs are essentially useless other than for barking at every person on the street and trying to bite anyone they don’t know. As part of the deal, they have horrible backs and most owners end up with ramp up to the couch. This design also turns out to be great for testing boots. The top is 3/4” ply about 12” wide x 52” long and goes up to normal couch height.

If you stand for an hour changing to different directions, walk up and down, you’ll have a whole new appreciation for pressure points, ankle support, heel slip, and toe box length on a pair of boots.

The catch for this kind of testing is that it’s just as important to eventually get your feet broken in to the boots before hunting - get them used to the pressure points and whatnot.

ACC2338E-E779-4CA4-B880-550DE98DFA61.jpeg

56C4235D-0392-468A-8AB5-7CB7FCA1D51F.jpeg

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
Head to the gym, put them on and jump on the stair master or number 10 elevation setting on the treadmill. You can even throw a ruck on if you want.

OP
Alpha Echo
The more I think of the ramp idea, another solution for those of us who are not blessed with wiener dogs is a calf board. I have used one in physical therapy to stretch calves and do inclined squats on. Something like this.

TaperPin

WKR
The more I think of the ramp idea, another solution for those of us who are not blessed with wiener dogs is a calf board. I have used one in physical therapy to stretch calves and do inclined squats on. Something like this.
That would work. Those non slip surfaces will act like sandpaper on the boot sole, so if you’re potentially returning the boot it might be a good idea to throw a carpet remnant on it. The wiener ramp carpet can be stapled on or attached with spray on or brush on contact cement.

The edge of a stair is important if you have sidehilling in your future - your foot needs to not slip around in the shoe sidehilling.

Also if you need insoles best to try those as they will change the fit of the boot sometimes causing the boot to feel too short.

bjack6755

FNG
A treadmill with incline for heel slip. Walk down the steepest decline you can find and check for toe jamming. I’ve had lots of boots over the years and generally know my sizes pretty well. Somehow I didn’t check carefully enough last year and now need to sell a pair of crispis. It’s barely noticeable but I definitely need to go a half size up.