Terminal Ascent Performance?

Anybody have any real world experience with these? Thinking about using some for an upcoming AK moose hunt in my 280 AI.

RWT

WKR
they have performed very well for me.
Numerous hogs that never ran more than 30’ from 150-200 yards.
2 whitetail bucks. 516 yards & 80 yards. Both DRT. Didn’t take a step,or twitch a leg.

fishslap

WKR
I haven’t killed anything with them but they shoot great out of my 7mm rem mag. I have killed a pile of elk and deer with their predecessor the trophy bonded tip out of my 300 win mag. Gen 1 was the bonded bear claw, gen 2 trophy bonded tip, gen 3 terminal ascent. I imagine it has similar performance on animals and better ballistics.

hiker270

WKR
2022 Colorado Elk shot with a Federal 180 gr. 300 mag. Trophy bonded tip. Same bullet they rebranded it a Terminal Ascent. 5x5 bull quartering away 232 rangefinder measured yards. On the shot bull dropped kicked a few times and expired. Bullet recovered just under the hide on the opposite shoulder. Perfect mushroom weighing 154 grains. The T/A features a solid copper shank under a bonded lead frontal area. This is my preferred bullet in all my rifles if available. Seems to me to be the best of both worlds in bullet performance. Lead frontal area for expansion and solid copper shank that will stay intact. I will be using the Federal 170gr T/A in my 7prc this fall on my Wyoming elk hunt.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago I killed a bull moose with the 155 gr. Federal Edge TLR using my 280 AI. It was a behind the shoulder shot at about 75 yards. Complete pass through and the moose ran about 80 yards. The Terminal Ascent is the improved version of the Edge TLR, so basically the same bullet.

I’ve only shot one bull with them. This was a frontal shot at about 20 yds from a .308. It hit just perfect to deflect on his shoulder and ride down the side of his ribs under his hide. He ran about 80 yds and bedded. When I got to him I put 2 more broadside which were both pass throughs.

Attachments

• 3C672C75-F848-4828-95CE-C591C8C86B32.jpeg
    3C672C75-F848-4828-95CE-C591C8C86B32.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 37

VernAK

WKR
The TBBC was my favorite bullet until it was no longer available for reloading. I shot several moose with it in a 300 WSM and a few in 375H&H. If I were young enough to hunt brown bear again, that would be the bullet I'd be looking for. Most of us don't get to shoot enough grizzlies to create a large sample base but the couple I have shot with TBBC were dead dead!

WCB

WKR
2022 Colorado Elk shot with a Federal 180 gr. 300 mag. Trophy bonded tip. Same bullet they rebranded it a Terminal Ascent. 5x5 bull quartering away 232 rangefinder measured yards. On the shot bull dropped kicked a few times and expired. Bullet recovered just under the hide on the opposite shoulder. Perfect mushroom weighing 154 grains. The T/A features a solid copper shank under a bonded lead frontal area. This is my preferred bullet in all my rifles if available. Seems to me to be the best of both worlds in bullet performance. Lead frontal area for expansion and solid copper shank that will stay intact. I will be using the Federal 170gr T/A in my 7prc this fall on my Wyoming elk hunt.
It is not the same bullet. Different shape, different operating velocity, and different weight retention. It is essentially as someone stated above...1st TBBC, 2nd came Trophy Bonded Tip, 3rd updated for higher B.C. and opens easier. Trophy Bonded Tips are still in production.

Thanks for your reply. 6300 cubic inches would be about 100 liters. Does it work size wise for you, for duck hunting? They are pricey. I am a newb when it comes to packs. I was looking at one and thought that is not a bad price. It was just the pack no frame. 🤣 thanks again

It is not the same bullet. Different shape, different operating velocity, and different weight retention. It is essentially as someone stated above...1st TBBC, 2nd came Trophy Bonded Tip, 3rd updated for higher B.C. and opens easier. Trophy Bonded Tips are still in production.
As mentioned above, the edge TLR was the 3rd gen before the terminal ascent. Reports were that it was unstable in a lot of calibers. It shoots fantastic in my 300wsm. I think the difference between it and the TA is more grooves? Still have two boxes of the edge TLR.

WCB

WKR
As mentioned above, the edge TLR was the 3rd gen before the terminal ascent. Reports were that it was unstable in a lot of calibers. It shoots fantastic in my 300wsm. I think the difference between it and the TA is more grooves? Still have two boxes of the edge TLR.
You are correct the TLR was right before the Ascent. It stabilized fine but just ok accuracy. In most calibers except for the .264 an extra groove was cut and improved accuracy. My response was to the user stating that it was the same as the Trophy Bonded

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a couple boxes of the loaded Fed 155 TA for my 280ai. They shoot really well. Hoping they will find an elk this fall.

MatukaJoe

FNG
Heavily bonded bullet with a minimal amount of lead. If you prefer less dramatic upset and/or two holes they work very well. Been one of the most consistent and precise bullets I've shot out of the two rifles I use. I really like the shape and their BC for weight.
However I've gone to a more dramatically upsetting or fragmenting bullet system for my own preferences so I don't use them nearly as much anymore.
They should work quite well for you it just depends on what you like in a hunting bullet and what you want it to do.
If you like a more dramatically wounding and fragmenting bullet but want to stay away from lead I suggest looking at dynamic research technologies or DRT I've been very impressed by them out of my 65 PRC.
I've used the Terminal Ascent on multiple deer.