Tent versus Hammock

twall13

WKR
An hummingbird hammock is only 14 ounces with straps. If you use a ground pad and tarp anyway, that's a very light weight penalty to sleep off the ground or take naps in. Can't beat a hammock for a camp chair.

Hummingbird Hammocks are too short for me to get comfortable. I do have a DIY hammock that is 12' long and weighs 15.27 Oz. with the tree straps and whoopie sling suspension so those types of weights aren't unreasonable for a good hammock, I just wanted to point out that most people will be much more comfortable in a longer hammock. I prefer 11' long at a minimum, 12' is better but I'm also 6'1" so that comes in to play as well. As I said before, as simple as it sounds to grab a hammock and go, there is actually quite a lot involved in getting the setup right for you to be comfortable in most any situation.
https://flic.kr/p/V1JQc5

cknlg1

FNG
Its an awesome way to go. Super light and no aches and pains in the morning. Just insulate with an underpad. Probably going to be selling my entire Warbonnet set up in the coming weeks as I just purchased the Helinox super light cot.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I will switch between tent and hammock depending on the trip, both have their place. For me, hammocks are far, far more comfortable. And as you suggested, as long as there are suitable trees, they are fantastic in otherwise marginal spots.

I use a warbonnet blackbird xlc. With a topquilt and underquilt, it's plenty warm. If I add a z-rest to that, it's good into the single digits. I sleep better in this setup than in my own bed at home.

Couple of observations:
  • A hammock-specific tarp, or at least a cat-cut tarp, makes life a ton easier.
  • Consider bringing a foam pad in case you get stuck and need to camp on the ground.
  • Vs a tent, you might have to pay more attention to wind direction (same deal as tarp vs tent)
  • My particular hammock setup is immeasurably more comfortable than my backpacking tent setup, but surprisingly, it weighs a few ounces more.

Hammock is by far the most comfortable. You can skip the underquilt and use either a foam pad or your inflatable ground pad. Use your regular sleeping bag. I'll be tent camping on my hunt this fall but i'm still bringing the hammock for mid day naps and the rain fly in case of mid day showers