Tent stakes

Keith5579

FNG
I just received the Argali Absaroka 4p tent. Has anyone had experience with the included Argali tent stakes?

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I had them pull out of the ground on a high wind day. I don’t like them at all. Switched them out for HMG 8-inch aluminum nails, all my problems went away after that.

I haven't used them in the field yet, but I just set the tent up in the yard and bent one by stepping it into soft ground. I'll probably switch over to my msr groundhogs.

No experience with argali but +1 for MSR. I tried a few over the years and it has been the least problematic. You can bend / break anything if you try but the MSR stakes work and are durable as hell.

Trial153

WKR
I have good luck with MSR, however all the knock off versions are junk. By the original.
I also like the TI Toks stakes for corners as well.

i‘ve bent and broken my fair share of stakes and keep going back to MSR Groundhogs or Mini Groundhogs.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
After reading up on tent stakes I ordered 12 7” all one tech stakes for $10…. I gotta say, they seem every bit as good/durable as the groundhogs I’d been using. The notch for the guylines is shallower, and I think leaving that extra material went a long ways towards strengthening that notorious weak spot. I hunt in very rocky terrain, and so far no issues with driving them in with rocks that I wouldn’t have had with groundhogs. Right now, I’m seeing no reason to spend 5x as much on groundhogs

I’m currently liking some Amazon Groundhog knock offs. Little beefier all around. I’ve been bending my groundhogs and breaking the heads off. I bought them new at REI so they are as true a groundhog as you can get.

Also had some Vargo silver looking aluminum groundhog type. They didn’t do any better or worse than groundhogs.

I also like a little rope loop on the stake to aid pulling. Can’t remember if groundhogs come that way or not but these knock offs do and it sure is nicer pulling.

taskswap

WKR
IMO, material and style (shape) matter way more than brand. I've been using some cheap generics off Amazon for years and only damaged one so far (my fault). I personally like the Y-shaped style, like the MSR Groundhog, in 7075 aluminum. You can get a 12-pack on Amazon for <$10. Just IMO, this is an area going titanium is not worth the price. My experience has been the aluminum ones are stronger, just as light if not lighter, and much cheaper.