Tent or Tarp?

I'm thinking about trying one of these in the next few years or so. I ran into a guy on my turkey hunting backpack trip that had one of these. He really liked it and its right at a pound and a half I think.

http://appytrails.com/

OP
J

Jproland

FNG
Thanks everybody for the info! Dos perros those are great pictures thanks for sharing. I am going to try the jimmys tarps granite mountain. I hope I like the floor less setup?

One thing I forgot to mention....for a smaller shelter, I think it would be really handy to have a side entrance (like the Granite Mountain). I would get the vestibule too if I were you.

dotman

WKR
I used to use a super tarp and personally I prefer the tipi over the tarp. I think the extra weight is worth the space especially if your in any extended period of bad weather.

I use the Seek Outside Cimarron and really like it. For a pole I just use a $30 REI tarp pole.

If you want to just see if Floorless is for you look at the Mountainsmith mountain LT tarp, similar to a super tarp and costs around $100.

OP
J

Jproland

FNG
Another ? for you guys, With going tarp end of August first of September high country will I need a bivy? If so any recommendation?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm a bivy guy even in my Cimmeron it's nice to cover the pad and bag up as you'll probably have condensation in any single wall shelter I have a routine which over time you will learn one also. When I get up zip up the bivy to keep out the creepy crawlers from getting into my sleep system and to keep my quilt dry. I use https://katabaticgear.com/shop/bristlecone-bivy/ works and breaths well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
At less than 7 ounces and somewhere around $90, an ultralight bivy like the TiGoat Kestrel is a no-brainier. That and a simple flat tarp give you flexible and lightweight shelter for very little weight and money. I always use a bivy. It's just insurance for your sleeping bag against wetness from condensation in a tent or tipi or ground moisture in a floor less. A flat tarp also serves as a great gear shelter when you're running several guys in a tipi or similar. Most of them are less than 1lb and I keep mine in my pack all the time as an emergency shelter. I got caught without it once years ago in a hail-filled rainstorm (ice water, literally) and swore I'd never do that again.

Mike7

WKR
Another option instead of a bivy is one of these ultralight Frogg Toggs Ponchos thrown over your sleeping bag. These weight almost nothing (?.6 oz) and are extremely breathable but also waterproof. You can even take some Tyvek tape and make your own bivy with a Tyvek bottom and this ultralight Frogg Toggs material on top.... http://www.froggtoggs.com/collections-styles/ultra-lite-2/frogg-toggsr-emergency-poncho.html

I don't find a bivy necessary in our area in a pyramid shelter, unless the temps are right around freezing and it is raining (100% humidity) along with high winds. Then there will be significant condensation and the wind will shake it off of the walls of the single-walled shelter onto your sleeping bag.

6 oz. bivy and 10 oz. cuben fiber mid is the best option that I've found for a single person UL shelter system. Light wt., bomb proof, and enough room to comfortably sit up in and store all your gear in. Throw in some stakes, a 8 oz. Xlite pad, and a 20 oz. 10° down quilt and you got everything you need for a good nights sleep, even in the harshest of conditions, weighing about 3 lb.

Last edited:
6 oz. bivy and 10 oz. cuben fiber mid is the best option that I've found for a single person UL shelter system. Light wt., bomb proof, and enough room to comfortably sit up in and store all your gear in. Throw in some stakes, a 8 oz. Xlite pad, and a 20 oz. 10° down quilt and you got everything you need for a good nights sleep, even in the harshest of conditions, weighing about 3 lb.

I'm pretty sure I've asked you this before but I can't find it...what 6 oz bivy do you recommend?

gmajor

WKR
I really, really love my mega tarp. Have taken in in brutal conditions from 100s to deep snow. But it is overpriced.

I switch back and forth between the mega and a 10x10 square tarp.