Tent or Tarp?

Jproland

FNG
Thinking of going floorless this year for my high country mule deer hunt in the end of aug. first of sept.? I am a little nerves about it but not near enough to not give it a try. This is my first solo hunt and need to get a one person tent or tarp, not caring my 5 pound tent up for an early season solo hunt. Looking at the para tarp as it is cheaper and want to see if I like a floorless shelter. Also looking at Kuiu 1P but have not read good reviews on it. Any advice would be great, also if you have a para or super tarp sitting around and want to sell it PM me!

arthurvino

Lil-Rokslider
Zpacks and mountain laurel design make great tarps.. Floorless works, just get tyvek ground sheet and a bivy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm1607

WKR
If you wanna get something to try a little bit cheaper checkout the Bear Paw Wilderness Canopy 2.. I have one and love it

If you really like the design of the Kuiu 1P just get the original one they copied, the Big Sky Wisp. Unfortunately the massdrop for it just ended..

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
You can always just get a generic 8x10 sil tarp test it out and if you hate it your only out 100$, same can be said for the paratarp as well since resale value is pretty high.

OP
J

Jproland

FNG
I like the kifaru information out there not much on anybody else, seems the para tarp is well priced compared to everybody else's tarps. The super or mega is another story. Everybody seems on the forums seems to say go with the super over the para but seems the para has a ton more room then a single person tent and cost almost half of a super.

Mike7

WKR
The useable room for a tarp is not always the same as a tent due to sloping walls and condensation. A paratarp would be way too small for me for a main shelter...although I don't use a bivy sack. Take a blanket at home the size of the paratarp, pitch it, and imagine getting yourself in there with your gear and while also keeping blowing rain off of you as would occur during a storm.

A big part of the decision for me is based upon how much moving I am going to do. If I plan on bouncing around on something like a scouting trip then a tarp and bivy won't be an issue for me. If I'm staying a week and pitching my camp once maybe twice Ill bring a tent. I prefer a tent over floor-less most times.

OP
J

Jproland

FNG
Thanks mike7 that's the thing I am trying to learn. Is the super tarp the way to go then? Colorado backpack what tent would you use? This is my early solo hunting tent I am looking for. My qaurter dome works great with two men as its the three person with two and half pounds. Way to much for solo hunting

OP
J

Jproland

FNG
Jm1607 I never saw the bear paw wilderness tarps, very interesting. Anybody use them? How do they compare to kifaru? The canopy two is comparable to the supertarp?

OP
J

Jproland

FNG
The la garita looks like the mega tarp with out the stove option

I went with a parra tarp first. I got it as a gift. After reading reviews I called kifaru and sent it back a few weeks ago and exchanged it for a super tarp.
I was informed that the parra tarp is being discontinued due to lack of demand and the fact that for just a few more ounces you can get more room and height.
I'll be using the super tarp for all my hiking adventures and solo hunts up here in Alaska.

Mike7

WKR
Jproland,

I have a Bearpaw Wilderness Designs Luna 4 and it is great for 2 people with hunting gear, with or without a stove. I have used a Supertarp and Tipis, and I personally prefer Pyramid shelters because of their easier setup, ability to use without a bivy, and improved ventilation over a tipi while being more protective from storms than a tarp. For my needs, I am often camping in humid, rainy weather and I generally don't use a bivy sack.

As far as the Bearpaw shelters mentioned above, I think a Luna 2 or 3 would be something in the size you are looking for. If you want to have more head room, and want the ability to fit 2 people/guys, then I would opt for a Luna 3. If you don't mind a little extra weight, and not have to worry so much about a stick poking through your shelter, then get the Luna 3 in silnylon. Cut a 2.5-3' x 8-9' piece of Tyvek for a ground sheet, get some MSR mini-groundhogs, and add a light cheap hanging bug net like the SeatoSummit pyramid only for buggy times/trips and you are set for any conditions for 1-2 people and for 2 1/2 lbs or less.

Early season I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 and then if I'm worried about weather I have an older REI tent that is similar to the Mountain Smith LT. I can't think of the name but it has treated me well through some bad weather.

OP
J

Jproland

FNG
Leaning towards the jimmys tarps granite mountain, Same price as the paratarp without the annex the granite mountain come with the vestibule for a few dollars more! Anybody us jimmys tarps? Quality vs kifaru? He has a bevy but I shouldn't need one at 12000 ft should I? Will be giving him a call today to see what he has to say. Thanks a bunch to everybody as this was/is super helpful, if his tarps are good then I just saved myself a few hundred dollars in something I am trying out...

I have a La Garita 1. It is a great minimalist kind of shelter. I like how I can pitch it high or low, wider or with steeper walls. It has enough room for 1 person and gear. However, I'm only 5'7" and it's pretty short inside, don't plan on sitting up in it, getting dressed in it, etc. If you're utilizing the space south of the south pole (head is north) to store gear getting it in and out is a pain. This tarp is really a place to sleep and/or lie down and escape the weather. I wouldn't want to be holed up in one for days on end if weather moved through. My hunting buddy has the Supertarp and honestly if we had weather move in I would try to talk him into stashing our gear in my shelter and hanging out in his. The downside of the Supertarp is there are no adjustments at each stake...it's always tight to the ground.

But, I do think the La Garita 1 would be a great solo early season good weather shelter, especially for mule deer if you're up high and doing a lot of glassing. You can pitch it high and wide to give yourself some shade to glass in. It has handled some stout winds for me, too, not that I wasn't nervous at the time. It's lightweight and pretty inexpensive. I don't use a bivy, just some Tyvek or other groundsheet. I could go without that too depending on the location (I specifically got the Xtherm this spring over the Xlite because it's heavier bottom is tough enough to go without).

12000984_10102555755981491_3647906904827055893_o.jpg

12208336_10102633656433361_582408732782998008_n.jpg

1959224_10102510331811891_8962709121965372385_n.jpg

Last edited:

xziang

WKR
I purchased a 'jimmy tarp' due to the price and I thought I might try it for a quick run and gun scouting trip sometime. (bow season though)

If you just wanted to try a 'floorless' shelter may want to just take your current tent and use just the rainfly. 90% of the tents BA/MSR can be pitched with just the rainfly so you can save a little bit of weight that way too. Just an idea.

duchntr

WKR
Thanks for the quick review Dos P. Im thinking the LG3 would be ok for 2 maybe tight with gear, The dimensions are basically the same as the supertarp.

reaper

WKR
I like the kifaru information out there not much on anybody else, seems the para tarp is well priced compared to everybody else's tarps. The super or mega is another story. Everybody seems on the forums seems to say go with the super over the para but seems the para has a ton more room then a single person tent and cost almost half of a super.

they said this because the Paratarp its small if you are a big guy,i have one with annex and parastove,its just awesome,i like it,i got it in a trade last year on kifaru forum but if you have to buy one yeah its pretty expensive,i saw 2 for sale not a long time ago here.Take the annex if you buy one,youll need it,i love it.Again its really depend on what youll do with it,if you are ultralight guy type,para is awesome!

I have a 6 man tipi and a Super Tarp,I bought a flat tarp frm Jimmytarps last year. I think Jim's quality is on par with Kifaru plus he will do small modifications
Tim