Tent heater

nebhunt

WKR
Since a person can't always bank on using a wood burning stove for heat in a tent due to fire bans, I'm looking to a good option. I currently have a Big Buddy heater but not sure I can trust it for all night heat and not really fond of the moisture inside the tent. One option would be a nu-way propane heater and the other option is a diesel heater option. Has anyone had any experience with either of those two options?

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
I did use the search function to bring up information on the heater options. I didn't find any information if the diesel heater has problems at higher altitudes. Also, if it is really cold do you treat the fuel so it doesn't gel up?
I do have a good sleeping bag but it is always nice to have some heat to warm up and dry out clothes.

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
I would give more thought to why and if you need a heat source that is not wood. I have hunted and camped a lot in every kind of weather and circumstance you can think of and can count on my fingers the number of times I went with something other than wood heat. That rambled on a little more than I intended it to, but the main point is that your money can probably be better spent elsewhere. If you have a Big Buddy use that when you are in camp and not sleeping. Trying to keep heat in a tent all night without wood is a waste of time and money unless it is unreasonably cold and in that case you better have a bit of redundancy in your heat system because I wouldn't stake my life on any fossil fuel heater.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't run the heater all night, but my two burner tank top heater works great in my wall tent to take the cold off the mornings and/or even drying clothes. I hang hangers from the ridge pole. Quite frankly, I'd be miserable every morning even during the archery season without it. I like my heat.

rayporter

WKR
i put a 2K espar diesel heater in my horse trailer. that is supposedly 33 % more than a 1500watt electric. is does heat great down to 30* and can keep it at 60 when the temp is 24*.

it does sip fuel. a gallon goes several nights.

Rfranke

FNG
I use an Venor all in one diesel heater. This season was the first time I used it to heat an 8 man tent. I got a longer pipe for the heat output so I had a little distance from the tent to the unit. The exhaust pipe gets hot so I didn’t want it close to the tent. It got us roasting on a late November mule deer hunt when the temps were at 5-10 degrees. It was on the lowest fuel pump cycle and it was great. Fuel pump does make a bit of noise but for me it was well worth the noise. In the future, I am going to use it for a wall tent to see if it can heat the 10x14 wall tent. After my experience this fall I am optimistic it will be enough BTUs to keep it comfortable at night. I also replaced the fuel lines with higher quality lines and added a fuel filter based on what I read online.

The unit itself has the digital controller with remote, tank, fuel pump, and heating unit. Everything you need minus the power and fuel to get it going. I think a crafty guy could make a much higher self contained unit with a pelican case or a metal case. The benefit of a DIY unit in my opinion would be a more weather proof unit. I have not used mine in a snow storm where it would be exposed to the elements. Based in the digital display, I’m a bit hesitant to leave it out without any type of extra cover to keep the moisture off it. The power consumption is low voltage. I had an extra RV size battery sitting around that I used and if worked great. If you were to used it for a long time a solar charger and an extra gas can could keep you running for a long time.

From my experience, it has been a great unit at the price point. Watch some YouTube videos and you can see quite a few people using it for overland rigs.

Feel free to send over any specific questions you have and I can try to answer.

Here is the one I use:

Djacker

WKR
I use an Venor all in one diesel heater. This season was the first time I used it to heat an 8 man tent. I got a longer pipe for the heat output so I had a little distance from the tent to the unit. The exhaust pipe gets hot so I didn’t want it close to the tent. It got us roasting on a late November mule deer hunt when the temps were at 5-10 degrees. It was on the lowest fuel pump cycle and it was great. Fuel pump does make a bit of noise but for me it was well worth the noise. In the future, I am going to use it for a wall tent to see if it can heat the 10x14 wall tent. After my experience this fall I am optimistic it will be enough BTUs to keep it comfortable at night. I also replaced the fuel lines with higher quality lines and added a fuel filter based on what I read online.

The unit itself has the digital controller with remote, tank, fuel pump, and heating unit. Everything you need minus the power and fuel to get it going. I think a crafty guy could make a much higher self contained unit with a pelican case or a metal case. The benefit of a DIY unit in my opinion would be a more weather proof unit. I have not used mine in a snow storm where it would be exposed to the elements. Based in the digital display, I’m a bit hesitant to leave it out without any type of extra cover to keep the moisture off it. The power consumption is low voltage. I had an extra RV size battery sitting around that I used and if worked great. If you were to used it for a long time a solar charger and an extra gas can could keep you running for a long time.

From my experience, it has been a great unit at the price point. Watch some YouTube videos and you can see quite a few people using it for overland rigs.

Feel free to send over any specific questions you have and I can try to answer.

Here is the one I use:
Good info! What elevation were you camped at? I wonder how well they work at 10k and higher.

Rfranke

FNG
I was much lower. The deer hunt was at about 2,500 ft and the test in the garage was 4,800 ft.

I have not heard much from anyone using them at 10,000 feet.

You might search some Sprinter van forums to see if anyone is running a diesel heater at higher elevations in their van. Most are using a much higher quality Espar brand but might be worth seeing what you can find.