Tent for Wrangells in August

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Headed to alaska in 2023, was trying to decide between these options also.

To keep it evolving and show my inability to leave things alone I upgraded from the nx1 to the nx2. Going to put through paces over next few months and see how she does.

Who you going with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smg

FNG
Well I will be up on Barnard Glacier again this year. But I am going in in September.
I'm curious on whether you've hunted in that area in September before or not? I'm currently making plans for hunting near that area in early September. On a side note - how many sheep hunters are actually sharing tents with another hunter? I like my own space but I like more having less in my pack. I'm currently planning to take the Nallo 3GT but share it with another guy - one 7lb tent is better than two 5lb tents?

I'm curious on whether you've hunted in that area in September before or not? I'm currently making plans for hunting near that area in early September. On a side note - how many sheep hunters are actually sharing tents with another hunter? I like my own space but I like more having less in my pack. I'm currently planning to take the Nallo 3GT but share it with another guy - one 7lb tent is better than two 5lb tents?
One 3-4 lb tent at most would be the logical situation. Some people have mentioned tipi shelters which are even lighter if that's your thing. I do not share a tent on a hunt unless it's with my significant other. After being weathered in for several days last year in the Wrangells, a personal tent is a godsend. I can't stand being woken up if someone has to get up in the middle of the night, and my hunting partners can't stand my snoring. A little bit of personal space can help with any kind of tension developed during the hunt as well.

smg

FNG
One 3-4 lb tent at most would be the logical situation. Some people have mentioned tipi shelters which are even lighter if that's your thing. I do not share a tent on a hunt unless it's with my significant other. After being weathered in for several days last year in the Wrangells, a personal tent is a godsend. I can't stand being woken up if someone has to get up in the middle of the night, and my hunting partners can't stand my snoring. A little bit of personal space can help with any kind of tension developed during the hunt as well.
Your making me second guess my plan of sharing the Nallo. I've shared lots of tipi time with a hunting partner but never a small tent other than my kids or wife. I actually have the MSR NX2 and having my own space would be preferable. I would think that the MSR would hold up as well as some of the Kuiu and SG tents that others have spoken about?

kaboku68

WKR
I have been up there more than seven times during September. I have been stormed in and have had many different things happen but generally the weather up there is better in that first week of September than during much of the earlier part of the season. I have gone in with other people but I find it better to go alone. The reason for this is that I have had a couple of instances where bad things have happened to people who have gone in with me. I know the risks and generally make the most of my time up there. There is a lot of territory up Barnard so I am not really worried about other people on the glacier or in other areas. I know my competition and I know where they go- I have taken several goats up there and this year I want a Dall.

Several people I know who have had success have run the Golites or other floorless tipis. I like the BD but I could see myself running a Flycreek which is not the toughest tent.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Your making me second guess my plan of sharing the Nallo. I've shared lots of tipi time with a hunting partner but never a small tent other than my kids or wife. I actually have the MSR NX2 and having my own space would be preferable. I would think that the MSR would hold up as well as some of the Kuiu and SG tents that others have spoken about?

As of right now I’m thinking I’ll take the NX2 but still testing locally. I’ve added guy lines and seems decent but the single pole down the ridge line has me a little concerned.

I may still pick up a niak/Soulo/mountain star when/if I can find one.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Well the round robin continues. Found a solid deal on an akto and picked up. Haven’t slept in it yet but set up in the yard and liked it. Can definitely feel the difference in durability/stability. 6 months out.

Me and my wife use a SO cimmaron when we hunt northern bc and it has exceeded my expectations both in weight and durability.

Well the round robin continues. Found a solid deal on an akto and picked up. Haven’t slept in it yet but set up in the yard and liked it. Can definitely feel the difference in durability/stability. 6 months out.

Sell the Akto, go with the Niak. Just my two cents after having both.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
About to seal the deal on an August of 2022 Wrangell hunt and want to bring my own tent. Outfitter recommending Kuiu mountain star. Considering that or a Hille Niak if I can find one. Anybody use both and lean one way over the other? Any other offerings I should really be considering? Not claustrophobic but wouldn’t mind some room for what I’ve been told are a fair amount of weather days. Obviously weight a major consideration but not the only one.

I have no experience with the Hilleberg but I do have alot of experience with the Mountain star. I have made several sheep hunts as well as blacktail hunts with mainly in the Alaska Range as well as down in Southeast. Some of them have been solo hunts and some have been together with my father in law. Usually they have ranged from 3 days all the way up to 2 weeks. The tent has withstood anything thats been thrown at it, in terms of rain, wind, snow etc.
I am 6 foot 2, 200 lbs and my father in law is 6 foot 4, 225 lbs. We shared the tent every time along with all the gear. Now I can not say it was roomy but in our opinion plenty enough for us. We do however pack pretty light, specially on the sheep hunts. Also durability has been great, it does have tear in the footprint but with that said it is on its 6th season I believe and I cant say that I am the kindest to gear.
In my opinion the two biggest Pros is the weight as well as external poles allowing you to pitch in rain without getting rain inside the tent.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Well I’m a month out and settled on the Akto. Going to pair it with an xtherm and a katabatic 15 quilt. Thanks again to all for the insight, opinions and experience.

the hack

WKR
Well I’m a month out and settled on the Akto. Going to pair it with an xtherm and a katabatic 15 quilt. Thanks again to all for the insight, opinions and experience.

I hunted with Mont last August in the Wrangells for sheep. I used a Katabatic 15 Flex 900 and an Xtherm in a Mountain Hardwear AC2 tent (single wall). He was adamant about a freestanding tent and I listened. I did sleep in my puffies under the quilt. Happy hunting!

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I hunted with Mont last August in the Wrangells for sheep. I used a Katabatic 15 Flex 900 and an Xtherm in a Mountain Hardwear AC2 tent (single wall). He was adamant about a freestanding tent and I listened. I did sleep in my puffies under the quilt. Happy hunting!

Good feedback and thanks for sharing.

Well I’m a month out and settled on the Akto. Going to pair it with an xtherm and a katabatic 15 quilt.
I’ve hunted the Wrangells, every year for the last eight years, using almost the same setup as you’ll be taking. The only difference is I have an Enlightened Equipment 10*F quilt.

The Akto has been a great compromise between low weight and storm worthiness. I once spent 3 days hunkered down in my tent during a storm with significant snowfall and ripping winds. After that test, I have no concerns over taking a non-freestanding tent.