Tent color

I

InteriorAKPopsicle

Does it matter in Grizzly country?

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I was thinking about getting an earth tone tent but after thinking about it decided since I’m not hunting in Camp I want the brightest easiest to find freaking tent I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
No...you're going to want the brightest, lightest tent you can find. Bright colored tents are easier to find and if you're stuck in one for any period of time, the brighter color really helps your mood.

Grizzlies tend to follow their noses...color of the tent won't matter to them at all.

22lr

WKR
Another vote on bright colors, or at least something that isn't going to blend into the surrounding area. On a more morbid note, if you don't come back, it's a lot easier for someone to see your campsite from the air. For me, it's just easier to find my way back to camp if I can see it from a good distance out (yes, you can read that as I suck at navigating back to camp if I can't see it from a distance).

Trial153

WKR
I am somewhat of an aesthetics snob. I like muted earth colors that fit into the Environment. My camp gets a waypoint on my gps app and my inreach so i am not worried about finding it.

OP
ncavi8tor

ncavi8tor

WKR
Thank you everybody for the information. I bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 on sale and they only had the orange color. I really wanted the olive green, but it was not available for the sale price and I couldn't pass up the deal. I think it will be just fine for my needs.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting always wondered why SO didn’t have some bright colors, now I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup there you have it. I had a tent with mixed colors one time brown and yellow. I was camped above timberline in the Weminuche ... (it was before we even had them for sale) .. and there were so many bugs on the yellow it was insane. Also we did a lot of UV degredation testing as well. I favor tying a bright windsock to it if needed. However, I myself am firmly in the camp of I like to find my gear so my binos, bag etc I don't want camo. Overall, I think our desert sage color is a nice balance and it does stand out a bit but it is not overbearing in a mountain environment.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I would always just throw a blaze orange beanie or something else that is lightweight on my camp to help me find it. I always keep some sort of blaze piece in my emergency kit. I also tend to use the reflective paracord in my kit for same reason.

Nothing to do with bears, but I like to have high visibility shelters on my mountain hunts. One time, while on a remote fly-out goat hunt, I was making my way back down to my tent and a very thick fog engulfed the mountain that I was on. I had about two hours of light left and a storm was rolling in. I had brought a GPS, but like an idiot, I didn't mark my camp prior to leaving for the day and I had no other form of shelter with me at the time. After about an hour of looking for my tent, that I was pretty sure was within 50 yards of me, I started getting nervous, then started second guessing myself thinking that my tent was maybe further down the mountain side. Just as I started to continue making my way down, I stopped and looked back and briefly glimpsed something yellow/orange as the fog opened a little for a second or two. It was the top of my tent and it was about 15 yards behind me and up the mountain. That night a pretty major storm rolled in with temps around the mid 30's, wind gusting close to 100mph and a driving rain/sleet/snow mixture. It would have been a much more miserable night had I not been able to find my tent and everything with it. I strongly believe that had my tent been earth tone or camo, I probably would have been SOL that night, and although I don't think my life would have been in danger, I definitely wasn't prepared to spend the night on an exposed mountain side, under those conditions, without a shelter. From that experience forward, whenever possible, I try to get the highest visibility shelter available.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My tent is green, it’s all they had when I was buying it. I wish I’d gotten a red one but the green hilleberg was like 25% off at the time and it was the last one they had.

Bighorner

WKR
Nothing to do with bear country, but I like a bright tent that let's other hunter know where I am camped. In a perfect world people spread out and will head up another drainage and give everyone some space.

Diesel

WKR
I prefer earth tones,

When hunting in Alaska I made a blaze flag with grommets and took zip ties for attaching. This was before garmin and that sure made it easy to find camp especially when you are tired.

And yes I did need it as the terrain was had little distinction.