Tent choices

Redmist

FNG
Looking at a couple different options for tent choices. I have pack goats so weight is not super critical.

MSR Papa Hubba
Marmot Limelight
Tarptent Hogback

What is the best quality? Is there another good 4-person tent I overlooked?

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
I researched the same and plan on buying a LImestone 6p in the spring for family and basecamp camping. I read and heard great things about their ability to withstand wind and weather. Two doors with vestibules (single on the 4P) is another huge plus.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
I researched the same and plan on buying a LImestone 6p in the spring for family and basecamp camping. I read and heard great things about their ability to withstand wind and weather. Two doors with vestibules (single on the 4P) is another huge plus.

I will be back packing just with goats carrying most of the weight. The 15# weight on the 6p is a little much. But good looking tent otherwise.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
I really like the MSR but the price point is high. I like the price point of the hog back but not sure how their tents are.

I'm a big fan of Kifaru tents. I really enjoy having a colorless shelter. Other than Kifaru. Hilleberg seems to be one of the top tent makers.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
There a little heavy. But msr does make a hell of a tent.

A little heavy is ok since the goats will be packing it. I just didn't want 15# heavy though. I think that MSR was under 6# if I remember right

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If the goats are carrying it, and you don't need a stove, the Copper Spur UL4 is a GREAT tent. Especially if you can still find someone selling the 2013 model. I got mine from backcountry for less than $350 after CC rebates. A little heavy if you're carrying it, but I still carry mine. It's a great tent.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
If the goats are carrying it, and you don't need a stove, the Copper Spur UL4 is a GREAT tent. Especially if you can still find someone selling the 2013 model. I got mine from backcountry for less than $350 after CC rebates. A little heavy if you're carrying it, but I still carry mine. It's a great tent.

Yeah I have looked more at this one last night. It is bigger than the hog back.

Stove is not a necessity. I figured I would get a great sleeping system which is a whole other thread as I archery hunt and think the wiggys two bag system may be my best option.

Vandal 44

WKR
I would go with the BA Copper Spur UL4 over the Tarp Tent. The problem with the Tarp Tent is condensation, what a mess. I have the BA Copper Spur UL2 and love this tent. The durability of it, its not to heavy and the ease of setting it up make it a solid choice.

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
I would go with the BA Copper Spur UL4 over the Tarp Tent. The problem with the Tarp Tent is condensation, what a mess. I have the BA Copper Spur UL2 and love this tent. The durability of it, its not to heavy and the ease of setting it up make it a solid choice.

I guess the only thing is finding one

OP
R

Redmist

FNG
Never mind REI is just out of them. Looks like moose jaw has them

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

Interesting. I have never had a problem with condensation using the H.S.TarpTent. What model did you have an issue with Vandal?

I get a lot of condensation in both my Tarptents if I don't vent them well, especially with 2 of us in the double rainbow.