Tennessee Hunter, W. Nebraska Roots

I’m 30 years old, have a beautiful family: wife and two little boys. I’ve fully culturally assimilated in the South, where I was born, but all my family are Cornhuskers.

Most of my big game hunting experience is still hunting whitetails in the SW Virginia mountains (another branch of our “Cornhusker diaspora” has a bit of land there). Love stalking the mountain laurel patches in the Blue Ridge and in South Cherokee NF. But I have also done a fair bit of mid-south treestand and shooting house hunting in TN and GA—which I only really enjoy during muzzleloader and early rifle season. After Thanksgiving, I’m all about waterfowl.

But I’ve also hunted near Chadron, Nebraska for mule deer and whitetails on the old family homestead, though it’s been awhile since I’ve gone. In 2007, I got to see a banner year for mule deer out there, which from what I now hear feels like ancient history. The whitetails have taken over; which is not all bad.

But I have for years dreamed of going on a DIY elk hunt in an OTC Utah unit. Next year, I actually may finally have the time and means.
I know this past winter was brutal across the West, so perhaps a wiser man would switch gears and pick another state…but then again, I have my heart set on a specific unit, even if the odds are low…

It’s great to be aboard. Thanks for bearing with the long introduction; hope it doesn’t seem conceited. Just very excited to potentially enter a new chapter of my hunting journey.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie