TBAC Ultra 7 vs Magnus S

btb1983

FNG
I am looking to purchase my first suppressor. I was set on a Ultra 7 until I talked to someone, at my local gun store. He has told me that the Ultra line is on its way out and that the new Magnus line is taking over.

With that being said, I’m wanting an all around suppressor, but it will mainly live on my hunting rifles. My gun store has recommended the Magnus S. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on the Ultra 7 vs Magnus S?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The magnus isn’t “taking over” anything. That’s just the opinion of your gun counter guy.

Lawnboi

WKR
Tbac line is pretty straight forward. I don’t have a Magnus S but have a bunch of others from them.

More titanium, bigger suppressor is quieter. Everything is a trade off. If absolute quiet is what you need you can walk around with 10” and a pound of titanium on your muzzle.

The ultra 7 still does a lot right, is small, and light. I liked my first so much that I bought another. Plenty of times I’d rather screw on the Magnus but there are just as many that I’m happy to have the ultra 7 on.

It’s all a trade off, there is no right or wrong.

wesfromky

WKR
You might broaden your search to Otter Creek, Diligent Defense, and if you believe they fixed their CS issues, Dead Air. Lots of great Ti hunting cans out there these days. If you do go TBAC(or any other), try to buy a hub version.

Samson7x

WKR
Ultra 7 is my favorite and most used silencer I own. I don't believe they have any plans of discontinuing it. You might call TBAC to confirm.

Graves14

WKR
I have an Ultra 7 and a Magnus K. For a hunting rifle, I prefer the Ultra 7. Its has a noticeably smaller diameter and I feel a perfectly acceptable sound reduction with standard calibers.

The Magnus K lives on an 11.5" AR and does really well in that capacity.

OP
B

btb1983

FNG
Ultra 7 is my favorite and most used silencer I own. I don't believe they have any plans of discontinuing it. You might call TBAC to confirm.
I ended up finding and buying a ultra 7. How are you mounting yours? Direct thread, hub, ect?

Samson7x

WKR
I ended up finding and buying a ultra 7. How are you mounting yours? Direct thread, hub, ect?

My ultra 7 is CB. I’d get a no timed brake to make it easy. My ultra 5 is hub and I’m using a titanium CB insert on that one as well since I’ve got CB mounts already on my guns.

Onys

FNG
Both are solid, but the Magnus S has newer tech and might be quieter and lighter. If you can, try to demo them or get feedback from others.

RussDXT

WKR
The magnus s is 11.2 oz. The ultra 7 is 8oz. On the tb website they spots that the sound reduction is the exact same for a 6.5 cm.

I went with the 7 (already have the 5 and 9)

Don’t see a reason for the additional weight and size.

OP
B

btb1983

FNG
My ultra 7 is CB. I’d get a no timed brake to make it easy. My ultra 5 is hub and I’m using a titanium CB insert on that one as well since I’ve got CB mounts already on my guns.
Right on, thanks for the info. Is there a brake you recommend? I was looking into the area 419 setup but wanted to get some real world thought first.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Compared the Magnus S to an Ultra 7 (gen 1) on a 6.5-7prc.

Honestly don't remember much difference between them. Was not night-and-day enough for me to want the Magnus S for the extra weight and cash.

Samson7x

WKR
Right on, thanks for the info. Is there a brake you recommend? I was looking into the area 419 setup but wanted to get some real world thought first.

I’ve never had an issue with the CB brake. I also like the NTB for ease of install with no shims. I know lots of folks like the area 419 but I don’t have any experience with it. Never saw a need to switch.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
🤣🤣🤣 so does that mean, in your opinion, the Ultra 7 is still the way to go?
In my opinion, I think the ultra 7 is a better choice for a hunting rifle. I really like mine, I’d buy one again without hesitation. I wish I’d gone straight to the TBAC when I got into the silencer game.