Taxidermy question

dmdude

FNG
I recently got my black bear rug back after waiting 2 years and paid $2,800. They did a great job but one of its ears is bent over. The bear was not like this prior. Is it normal to have things like this happen or should I be annoyed?

Bent over as in the top half of its ear points down 90°.

Was the head mounted with the ears up or laid back? Almost sounds like the ear was broken somehow. Find out if it was shipped out for rugging then shipped back to your taxi for finish work. That’s what a ton of taxidermists do including myself when I did taxidermy. The head is mounted then shipped to the rugger. It’s shipped back when it’s done and the taxi does all the finish work and painting. Could have been broken during shipping. I always mounted the ears back. Your taxi should have seen that and fixed it unless he doesn’t know how.

OP
D

dmdude

FNG
UPDATE: It was too late to call because of my work schedule, so I sent an email. They called mid weekend as soon as they saw the email. Super friendly and told me the ears have tin in them and it probably got bent over in shipment. Sure enough, it rolled out just fine and it looks great now. Top notch folks. Super happy with how well the rug turned out and how easily my problem was solved. 😃

Thanks all for input 🤙🤙

Interesting. I’ve never heard of tin being used as an ear liner. Wonder if the cartilage was pulled out or left in. I also don’t know of any glue or epoxie that would glue that tin to the skin or cartilage. Glad it worked out for you though.