Tarptent saddle 2

gabenzeke

WKR
Anybody have experience with this shelter? I'd be using it for elk hunting, mostly solo, but this year my dad decided to go. So this year I'll need room for me as well as my dad with a helinox cot. Anybody know if that will work? I called to ask a few questions and they mentioned I should hold off on ordering about a month as they have a new liner coming out with higher bathtub sides to keep more wind out in storms. Just curious on how 'cozy' this will be with two guys, one on a cot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Never seen the Saddle but buddy has the Double Rainbow, it would be cozy with two people but doable. Not sure how the size compares on them. I have the Cloudburst 3 and it would be perfect for 2 people with extra room. I think the TarpTents are a little bigger than a lot of the U/L shelters out there but if you truly want to use it for two people a 3 man model is best and the 2 man will be tight.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
How does the cloud burst stand up to wind and rain?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Should hold up well. You can add the 3rd pole to the Cloudburst as well as a liner

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Ok, one last question. Will the liner keep bugs out? It seems like the liner only covers the top and then there's a bathtub floor that only goes up a foot or so

jmez

WKR
Holds up well to both wind and rain. If you get the third pole it is also snow rated. Had mine in some bad wind last year, gusting to 50 a few different days and not issues. It also rained with those winds and didn't get any rain blowing in. You will have to seam seal it when you get it or pay them $35 to do it before they ship.

Bugs haven't been a problem in mine. The liner covers the top, sides, and goes down below the level of the bathtub floor between the tent wall and bathtub. If you watch the setup video he puts the liner in the tent and you can see it extends down a few inches below and behind the bathtub.

I have the Stratospire 2 and sizewise it's perfect for 2 people and you could actually fit 3 in. So you could compare it to that model and ask them what the differences are? From the specs, looks like the Stratospire would be roomier at a cost of about 9 oz. I just like more headroom which is why I picked this model. I hate moving around and constantly hitting the ceiling so that's just my preference. They look pretty similar and I'm not sure if the liner they are talking about is for insulation or condensation or ? as it shows that it has a bug screen already. You can also use these as floorless if you really want to go lighter but for me in Sept, I don't like ants or bugs crawing on my when I sleep so I always use both pieces together. I've not had significant weather in mine yet but I don't see where there will be any problems and from reviews I haven't seen weather as an issue. I love mine as its one of my ideal pieces of gear.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
The liner is for both insulation and condensation. I haven't had any condensation issues with mine but I sleep in it solo and humidity isn't much of an issue where I hunt in MT.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Well, bit the bullet and ordered the stratospire 2. Thanks for all the input!