Tarptent Protrail or SMD Skyscape Trekker

Iron Mike

FNG
Some background first. I do a lot of wilderness hunting and pack in with my feet. Camp is anywhere from 2 to 6 miles in. I now carry a BA Copperspur UL3 I absolutely love. There are many days where I may be chasing Elk at dark quite a ways from camp and want to sleep right there instead of hiking back and crawling into the BA. I am about to pull the plug on a new tent. I am NOT a bivy or hammock guy and I like a floor. I am looking at two very lightweight 1+ tents particularly the Tarptent Protrail or Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker. I am hoping some of you good folks own one of these and can give me your opinion, moisture control concerns me with the single walls. This would not be a 4 season tent - early fall hunts in the high country that can sometimes see weather but normally not much. I am open to other TENT options but to keep this on track the tent needs to be extremely packable (the Pro Trail will fit in a pocket of my pack) weigh in around 25 ounces or less and use trekking poles for support. I am not a tall guy at 5' 8". I have looked at some CF tents but as it will not be used on a constant basis I am not sure I want to spend double the money. Any pros and cons of these two designs (or others as long as they meet my criteria) are truly welcome!

bates

WKR
Mike

I have the tarptent Protrail unfortunately I haven't spent a ton of time in it. so far its been good, not a ton of condensation issues but I had a breeze those nights. I've got a trip planned down here in Florida next month so that should be telling.

I like it for what it is, simple lightweight and provides a floor and bug protection (big deal down here) I view it as a big bivy sack

OP
I

Iron Mike

FNG
Thanks Bates
That is why I am looking at the two designs I mentioned. No frills, lightweight and not a bivy - Big bivy like is ok! If anyone is going to have condensation problems it would be you! I know they redesigned the Tarptent Contrail and came up with the Protrail - at least thats my understanding - and that helped with more airflow less moisture inherent with single wall construction.

bates

WKR
yes sir the protrail is a re designed contrail

just get with me will be spending sometime with it in florida dec 12/13th that will be telling

tttoadman

WKR
My brother used the Trekker this year for early season deer. He loves it. We were in good high winds up on Jefferson. With the little tie outs on the center of the peak, this can be used in light snow without any problem.
image1_zps40rnmwrj.jpeg~original

image2_zps7ztaofps.jpeg~original

image3_zpsyhibphdo.jpeg~original

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Iron Mike, I have a ProTrail and spent upwards of 35 nights in it this late summer and early fall. It saw use in CO and WY. It is exactly what it looks like. Up until snow hit near the end of my time in WY, it performed flawlessly. Condensation began to show up as temps dropped. I should add that it is most likely user error as I was pitching it lower to the ground and setting up out of wind to keep warm. Just like every other Henry Shires Tarp Tent I have used, it held up to some CRAZY winds and was no worse for wear. After the heavy snows became more frequent, I switched to using a hilleberg akto..
e515acd3544c0814af649fee1d362117.jpg

364f180dfa56f00fb1832dff4bdbec52.jpg

OP
I

Iron Mike

FNG
Thanks Atrietch
What temps were you down to and was the condensation manageable with say a pack towel or similar? Thanks. I dont plan on using in nasty weather but late September in the high country throws curve balls....