Tarp vs tarp and bivy

P.S. For about 8oz you can add a large piece of 1443 Tyvek for a floor along with Sea to Summit bug netting big enough for 1-2. Then you are not restricted to a bivy and these items can all be used separately as needed.

Definitely more wt together than a paper thin type bivy, but more luxurious and no condensation. When it is hot and buggy, that Sea to Summit netting is great for napping or glassing bug free in the shade. Hunting friends will be jealous, so you can't let it out of your site.

A 6oz borah bug bivy is fully netted with a 30D silnylon floor. It can be used as a groundcloth or a bivy for cowboy or tarp camping, and doesn't trap condensation in my experience. It sure keeps the ticks *out*, though.

I carry a sheet of Tyvek when I don't carry the bivy - and that works just fine - but not all bivy options are paper thin moisture traps.

A 6oz borah bug bivy is fully netted with a 30D silnylon floor. It can be used as a groundcloth or a bivy for cowboy or tarp camping, and doesn't trap condensation in my experience. It sure keeps the ticks *out*, though.

I carry a sheet of Tyvek when I don't carry the bivy - and that works just fine - but not all bivy options are paper thin moisture traps.

Agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends how many people you want it to accommodate. I wouldn't buy a lightweight shelter with intentions of putting 4 people in it. The Ultamid 4, Khafra, MLD Supermid (listed biggest to smallest) size shelters are comfy and light for 2 people. You could fit 4 pads and sleep four in there but it would be pretty crowded and the 2 guys on the outside will be tight to the the likely condensation covered walls.

If you want to something for 2 people comfortable and light in mild weather, I think a zpacks triplex is hard to beat. There's a bunch of solo, single wall, with floor and bug netting shelters out there in the 15-25 ounce range.

My current Tent setup is DCF Duomid (when sleeping solo and likely moving camp daily), Sil Supermid (light 2 person, or when a stove is wanted), and a TT Stratospire 2 (2 people and buggy, solo and not weight conscious enough to pack a mid).

What I’m looking for is a 4 season shelter that can hold mostly two guys but sometimes 3, if four of us are going then we would take two shelters. I don’t carry trekking poles so it has to be something where I can buy a pole they sell to support it.

I really love a UL bivy. A bug bivy with a bathtub around 7oz then a tarp. The last season I used a Kifaru Sheep Tarp and a EE Recon. Before that I had a Borah Bivy.

This year I ordered the 8x10 Sitka Flash tarp and my Mountain Laurel bivy should be here this week. I should be at about 2lb with stakes. 1lb 7oz without.

I went to the Laurel bivy because the EE was way too small once I got a pad and a pillow in there. Hopefully EE will up the size.

The Kif Sheep Tarp is a great piece for an emergency tarp. But I felt it was a tad small to pitch if a storm came in. The new Sitka tarp is only a pound. The 10x10 Kifaru tarp is a pound and a half.

I just can't see packing in a Sawtooth on summer trips or when the chance of bad weather is nill.

And if the weather is super nice I'll just set the bivy up to keep the spiders and ants off.

Super nice setup too for doing recon and packing up camp each morning.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Who else sells tarps that doesn’t require a tracking poll, instead using a poll of some sort they sell. So far I’ve just found zpacks.

Most of them do. Not all of them sell CF poles but they’ll all accept one instead of trekking poles. Ruta Locura will custom make poles as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the tarp and what the weather is going to look like. I rarely use a bivy with my super tarp or mega tarp. When using a smaller tarp or if the likely hood of snakes or bugs I bring a bivy

Back