Tarp Tent StratoSpire 2 Anyone???

Just curious if anybody has used it?

I can see some similarities to the Megatarp but with a floor option. Really digging the dual entry, 40 oz of weight (would probably be cut in half if went totally floorless), vestibules to keep gear dry, and the price!

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html#specs

Might be ordering one on monday with my hunting partner. We'll see what happens on our scouting trip this weekend if we want to be backpacking up high, or hunting the breaks down low and camping off the road. Either way I'm in need of a new backcountry shelter that you can hunt two full grown men out of, that is light enough to take on summer scouting trips and to keep the bugs away.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Muleman,
Interesting looking setup you got there. I think we would prefer the design of the tarptent more with the ability to remove the next and really guy it out to get a lot of dry space available. Just seems slightly more versatile and a little bit more lightweight (just a few ounces though with the stakes).

I'll do some research on your tent and see if I'm interested! Thank you it is appreciated.

Anybody else have any ideas on either of these shelters? Particularly the tarp tent?

MIke

muleman

WKR
No problem, personal preference is what makes life interesting. Henry Shiers' tent designs are well regarded as are Ron Moak's of Six Moon Designs.

I went with the Tarptent rainshadow 2. Its 2 oz heavier than the one you listed but has 11 more square feet. You can fit 3 people snuggly it it and 2 with packs is easy. I put the pole out and pack the tent into my kifaru compression sack with my slick bag and put it all in the bottom of the pack. which leaves the side pockets on my t2 open, works great.

Last edited:

Ozz08

WKR
I was going to pull the trigger on the stratosphire 2 as a 1-2 man tent also the only reason I didn't is because the footprint of that thing is huge. The size to weight ratio is awesome but I feel like it may be a pain in the ass trying to find a spot to pitch it. Looks like an awesome tent though.

I have a couple tarptents, and think they are some of the best tents available for the price/weight/size. The rainshadow is a good tent for 2 guys. We have even used it with 3 on occasion. I have used it solo and its a palace lol. They have held up to wind and even snow.

I wouldn't be scared to buy the one your looking at thats for sure

OP
HellsCanyon
I really like the look of it thats for sure. The large vestibule areas would allow us to stack muddy or wet gear outside the nest but keep them dry at the same time. Dual entrances is another plus the ability to really guy it out for increased shade and airflow... after this weekend we'll get a better idea of what we are looking for!

Mike

owyheerat

FNG
I want to revive this thread. I am VERY interested in the TT strat 2. I have been eyeing it (online only) for a few months. I would like to hear from anyone that ended up with one. I noticed that it is now available with a 'solid' inner or the original mesh inner.

Thanks Durwin

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the stratosphire 1 and sent it back as I was searching for a tent to use on a sheep hunt and I don't think I would trust it in bad weather. That said for an early season elk hunt I think it would be a great tent. Both vestibules were good sized and two doors was nice.

Nordic

FNG
Stratosphire at least look nice. Can you say why you didn't trust it for bad weather? Do you mean heavy rain or do you mean cold temperatures and heavy snow when you say bad weather?

I purchased the stratosphire 1 and sent it back as I was searching for a tent to use on a sheep hunt and I don't think I would trust it in bad weather. That said for an early season elk hunt I think it would be a great tent. Both vestibules were good sized and two doors was nice.

OP
HellsCanyon
We ended up passing on this tent as we're looking for something that is stove capable. Probably going to just use a nest to keep the bugs out...

Mike

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
I would say heavy wind and snow. It is a very lightweight tent made of lightweight materials. Henry had been making good products for a long time and has a huge following from the backpacking world. I just dont trust it on a sheep hunt in norhtern BC which is were I will be in 7 months.