Tarp recommendations for day hunts

Mark.c

FNG
Looking for recommendations for a tarp for use on day hunts while glassing for sun/rain/wind protection. Specifically size, weight, shape, set-up, and color for 1-2 hunters. Most tarp discussion threads are overnight focused. Thanks.

Last edited:

JDB9818

WKR
I keep a Kifaru Sheep Tarp in my pack for this purpose. I don't remember specs, but you could look it up on their website.

I'm guessing there will be others along shortly that might have more budget option suggestions..

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I think something like a regular 9x9 flat tarp might work well for what you're asking. I'd probably go with silpoly or silnylon over dyneema since you are only carrying it for the day, and the weight saving wouldn't matter as much. It will also save you a couple hundred bucks.

There are nearly endless configurations to set them up, but for glassing I try something like this or with my poles all the way out at the corners:
1661890351913.png

The Seek Outside DST is a popular choice. The Sheep Tarp @JDB9818 recommended is closer to 9x5, but popular as well. You could also look into backpacking brands like Zpacks, Yama Mountain Gear, or Bear Paw Wilderness.

Trial153

WKR
I have a SO Gunnison tarp that goes with me on an mountain hunt, can’t kill that thing.

I carry a BPWD in silpoly for this purpose. It's really light, cheaper than silnylon, trading off is durability, but who cares? I'll also use it as a meat mat if I need to.

For one person, my choice is a poncho tarp. For two a poncho is still a good choice, but something like a silpoly 6x9 or similar would give you better coverage depending on weather and use case. I’ll echo the above recommendation for a 9x9 as well. A square tarp gives you many more pitch options

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
Borah gear solo tarp with a couple of customizations. I think it's roughly 6x9, and tarp, 6 stakes, 6 guy lines and a stuff sack has it all in at about 12 oz. They are quite affordable too.. Would double as an emergency bivy/shelter if necessary. Sorry. No pics on the mountain just yet.
16aa7c473d886a4c8dc00cfd2b849eca.jpg