Targets for field use

I’m looking for some ideas on what some of you use for long range targets. Here’s my dilemma. I have 8” and 12” gongs which I currently use on a DIY 2x4 frame. It’s heavy and bulky. Where I like to shoot I have to walk out my targets, there isn’t always a road convenient. I’m planning to spend the summer utilizing some of the terrain to make some interesting scenarios in the 4-600y range, any ideas on something easier to carry? I’d really like the 10-12” size.

Maybe something like this? Anyone ever try it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the ground, I’ve used these shepherds hooks before with my 8” and 10” gongs with good success. 12” might be getting a little heavy. If I was shooting big magnums, 400 yards would probably be about my minimum as they can get the plate swinging pretty good. You could probably shore that up tying the plate off on the side as well. They’re light, cheap and work good.
Here’s a cropped photo through the spotter of my 10” plate at 620 yards. Not the best pic, but only photo I have of the setup.
8EB24468-ADF7-4084-9759-E44FB12CB631.jpeg

slowelk

WKR
I’ve never had luck using Shepards hooks, any ground you can sink them into gives up before three impacts.

I’ve switched to the MGM targets 2x4 bases for temporary use, and the t-post hangers for longer terms placement.

I just carry 2 T posts, some wire and my gong. Makes it easy to move and set up at different areas.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
T posts with hangers. Work great and cheap on eBay. Buy 2 and they’re $31 shipped

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never had luck using Shepards hooks, any ground you can sink them into gives up before three impacts.
Maybe you just need to move them out farther. 😎 That’s 5 shots in my pic and we banged on that for an hour before repainting. It could be our ground is different here, but I’ve seen these (with a 10” plate) shot at 350 with a .300 Win Mag shooting 215 Bergers. We’ve popped the plate off at that distance. We’ve never knocked over the hook. But like I said in my first post, 400 with a magnum and a 10” plate would be my absolute minimum.

OP
Whiskey_Fish
Maybe you just need to move them out farther. That’s 5 shots in my pic and we banged on that for an hour before repainting. It could be our ground is different here, but I’ve seen these (with a 10” plate) shot at 350 with a .300 Win Mag shooting 215 Bergers. We’ve popped the plate off at that distance. We’ve never knocked over the hook. But like I said in my first post, 400 with a magnum and a 10” plate would be my absolute minimum.

I might have to see what I can find for a short Shepard hook. The soils are pretty sandy and loamy out on the grasslands so they might go blasting right out of there.

Planning to get some material to make a small set of legs for the 12” gong. I’ll be interested to see how far it jumps when shooting 400+ yds.

BLJ

WKR

I have no first hand experience but I always thought these fiitings with some 3/4" EMT conduit would be a very light weight option.

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
I might have to see what I can find for a short Shepard hook. The soils are pretty sandy and loamy out on the grasslands so they might go blasting right out of there.

Planning to get some material to make a small set of legs for the 12” gong. I’ll be interested to see how far it jumps when shooting 400+ yds.

Yeah I could see the hooks struggling in sand. Maybe that’s what slowelk was referring to. We have a lot of clay in our soil so they go in easy and they stay put. That being said I don’t think I’d go bigger than “10 on these. That weight of the plate swinging would exacerbate the problem of soft soil. T posts might be your best bet in sandy stuff but you’ll need something to drive them which just adds more weight if your walking.

Wrench

WKR
I use underground utility marking paint on rocks. It is made to degrade and shows up awesome. I hike or drive to my rocks who need to be pounded to gravel and paint a dot.

Find a local realtor. They often have damaged realty signs just laying around. Zip tie some plastic target back on it or hang a steel plate on it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
T posts are what I use. I carry a target that is designed to be used as the post driver so I drive all my posts with that and then use it for the last target. Works really well.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Target as a t post driver is genius!
It works really well. I'll take a picture of it later.

The target is an IPSC with angle iron welded vertically down the back that is sized to fit over the T post. A cap welded at the top of the angle iron is the post driver. You simply slide the target up and hammer down on the post like you would with a normal driver. Works awesome.

The only challenge is getting the mild steel of the angle to weld to the AR500 plate but experienced welders can get it done. The welds do crack sometimes if we are shooting big guns at them but it's not a big deal to have them redone.

OP
Whiskey_Fish
It works really well. I'll take a picture of it later.

The target is an IPSC with angle iron welded vertically down the back that is sized to fit over the T post. A cap welded at the top of the angle iron is the post driver. You simply slide the target up and hammer down on the post like you would with a normal driver. Works awesome.

The only challenge is getting the mild steel of the angle to weld to the AR500 plate but experienced welders can get it done. The welds do crack sometimes if we are shooting big guns at them but it's not a big deal to have them redone.
That is a brilliant idea. I'm going to sort one of those out ASAP.

I've been using a 12" gong on a t post hangar the last couple weeks with some good success. Carrying the t post driver out with my pack has been cake compared to my old stands and holding up great.