Target weight backpack hunting?

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I am a hunter and a backpacker. I have never combined the two, I may someday. I got back from a 3 day trip yesterday. My base weight was 13#, my worn weight was 5# for a total of 18#. I was good down to 20 degrees with this setup. This does not count food and water which added another 17#. I was in the desert and had to pack 5 liters. I figure my rifle, kill kit, binos and such would add another 20#. A heavier meat hauling pack would add 2# to my current pack. This would put me at a base weight of 33# before food, water and worn weight. Is this realistic? What would a light baseweight be? I have watched many youtube videos and the stuff I see them packing is crazy heavy. Sacks for everything and full size packages for supplies.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am a hunter and a backpacker. I have never combined the two, I may someday. I got back from a 3 day trip yesterday. My base weight was 13#, my worn weight was 5# for a total of 18#. I was good down to 20 degrees with this setup. This does not count food and water which added another 17#. I was in the desert and had to pack 5 liters. I figure my rifle, kill kit, binos and such would add another 20#. A heavier meat hauling pack would add 2# to my current pack. This would put me at a base weight of 33# before food, water and worn weight. Is this realistic? What would a light baseweight be? I have watched many youtube videos and the stuff I see them packing is crazy heavy. Sacks for everything and full size packages for supplies.

Listen to the Hunt Backcountry Podcast by Exo packs? They are who you want to listen to. Dehydrating wipes, no original packages, they cover it all.

You are en experienced backpacker and that is huge. Lots of guys hunt, and then start to backpack hunt and end up carrying way too much crap.

Hard to give you an accurate weight because for me the specific hunt is going to dictate the gear needed.

Kill kit: you need a knife and small game backs for boned out meat. That’s really it if you have the ultralight mentality. The argali bags are the lightest I’ve found. I do always bring a small pruning saw to cut off the skull plate. Few ounces saves packing a 15-20lb head out.

Hunting gear: rifle and 5-10 shells. I will pack the lightest gun that I can use for the task at hand. Optics is where things can get heavy..you would need to know what the terrain is like. I can get away with 8x32s and no rangefinder for some of the spots I hunt, but it’s mostly still hunting timber.

Otherwise there is not much additional I bring compared to a regular backpacking trip. I’ve gone as light as 28 pounds for everything on my back including weapon, 4 days of food and water..but that was august in a place with lots of creeks for water and I roughed it more than necessary. Had to kill some grouse for food to stay the whole time actually ha.

Again it’s totally going to depend on where you’re actually hunting, but there is no reason you cannot bring the ultralight mentality to backpack hunting.

OP
T

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
You are en experienced backpacker and that is huge. Lots of guys hunt, and then start to backpack hunt and end up carrying way too much crap.

Hard to give you an accurate weight because for me the specific hunt is going to dictate the gear needed.

Kill kit: you need a knife and small game backs for boned out meat. That’s really it if you have the ultralight mentality. The argali bags are the lightest I’ve found. I do always bring a small pruning saw to cut off the skull plate. Few ounces saves packing a 15-20lb head out.

Hunting gear: rifle and 5-10 shells. I will pack the lightest gun that I can use for the task at hand. Optics is where things can get heavy..you would need to know what the terrain is like. I can get away with 8x32s and no rangefinder for some of the spots I hunt, but it’s mostly still hunting timber.

Otherwise there is not much additional I bring compared to a regular backpacking trip. I’ve gone as light as 28 pounds for everything on my back including weapon, 4 days of food and water..but that was august in a place with lots of creeks for water and I roughed it more than necessary. Had to kill some grouse for food to stay the whole time actually ha.

Again it’s totally going to depend on where you’re actually hunting, but there is no reason you cannot bring the ultralight mentality to backpack hunting.
So really I just need to weigh my hunting gear and ensure it fits in my 55L pack.

Last edited:

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like an achievable, lightweight target.

I'm currently at about a 31lb pack baseweight(pack and gear inside it only), plus 20ish 'worn weight', so clothing, binos, rifle, trekking poles, etc. 70lb skin out for ten days with food and 2L water for a september trip is the goal, but I'm not quite there yet. Season will dictate a heavier shelter, layers, fuel, etc as well.

I'd say my gear is pretty lightweight but still comfortable, like a pillow, rain gear, puffy pants, etc. Not taking something is the easiest way to save weight, but it's a balance.

For a backpack hunt I’m around 38-40 lbs skin-out weight, not including water, for five days. Around 48-50 for ten days, more food obviously but I also usually bring a light tarp and battery pack on longer trips. That’s early season Alaska. Add a couple more pounds for later season or if the weather forecast looks rough. Obviously if you’re not strictly backpacking and your access method allows you can bring some more luxuries or a base camp setup.

TaperPin

WKR
Backpack hunting is one of those things you just have to do in order to see what your comfort level and pack weight will be. I’ve seen guys talk for a year straight how they justify carrying some heavy equipment, or justify leaving out a lot of things, but after one trip the consequences of the higher or lower weight changed their plan.

Your plan seems reasonable, but the only way to know what works for you is to load a pack up and do it, and there’s no reason you have to wait for hunting season.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have different weights for the different hunts and seasons.

My lightest hunting weight is 22.5 lbs. This is everything but food/water and my worn binos. My backpacking base weight with my hunting pack is 12.4 lbs.

If I am hunting late season mule deer my hunting weight can creep up to 28-30 lbs with a heavy rifle and 7.5 lbs of glass and tripod