Target panic and the Silverback release

bjjnbbq

FNG
I've heard the Silverback release is great for helping overcome target panic. Has anyone dealt with this and can share how well it worked?

Yup. Switch over to a tension release 2-3 years ago. It teaches you to let the pin float around and not panic when it gets on or off your target. You just continue to execute the shot. In a hunting situation I think it just gives you an extra second or 2 to aim and also makes you think about something else other then “ there’s the deer, oh shit my pin is on the vitals, shoot now!”

In all seriousness it does teach you how to properly execute a shot. You should watch all the nock on YouTube videos on target panic. I think it’s 100% worth the money to practice or hunt with a tension release.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
I’m working through it now. Got a tension release and it’s taking some time but I’m seeing the light and much improved shooting. I was shooting a bunch, trying hard to get perfect groups first with a wrist release, then a thumb button. I shot well but my pin would freeze below the spot, just couldn’t get in it. This caused me to anticipate, raise up and fire as you went type crap. I am now comfortable with the float, steady back tension and somewhere in there it goes off. Happy shooting again. Don’t see myself going back, recommend it.

OP
B

bjjnbbq

FNG
In all seriousness it does teach you how to properly execute a shot. You should watch all the nock on YouTube videos on target panic. I think it’s 100% worth the money to practice or hunt with a tension release.
I didn't realize target panic was a thing...I thought I just sucked. Then Dudley talked about it on his NockOn podcast and I felt like I discovered the wheel! That's what led me to the SilverBack. It's nice to hear the stories and that it is worth the investment as it helps work through the issue.

OP
B

bjjnbbq

FNG
I’m working through it now. Got a tension release and it’s taking some time but I’m seeing the light and much improved shooting. I was shooting a bunch, trying hard to get perfect groups first with a wrist release, then a thumb button. I shot well but my pin would freeze below the spot, just couldn’t get in it. This caused me to anticipate, raise up and fire as you went type crap. I am now comfortable with the float, steady back tension and somewhere in there it goes off. Happy shooting again. Don’t see myself going back, recommend it.
I just started trying to work through it with my trigger release but feel the anticipation and awkwardness when I build back tension. Time to make an investment. Glad to hear it's been working for you.

The silverback will give you an opportunity to relearn your shot process, especially coming from a wrist strap, but the release itself will not fix target panic. You can just as easily rip off a silverback as you can a trigger, trust me, I’ve done both.

Having worked through this myself, my recommendation would be to get the release, then don’t touch your bow for 2-3 weeks. Follow the Nock On segment on target panic/buck fever (series came out this year) and spend longer than prescribed on the 2nd section that focuses on a shot trainer (long string or d loop material). I think it’s called “Behind the Line” or something. Really dedicate yourself to mastering that back half Dudley talks about. Make sure every shot you feel that arms pulling to the wall behind you until the release breaks. Engrain that mental focus needed to execute the shot. Then move along in Dudleys series.

If you really want to master well executed shots it’s absolutely possible, but it requires dedication and locking that bow up for a bit. Keep in mind the silverback is a tool, not your solution.

best of luck

OP
B

bjjnbbq

FNG
The silverback will give you an opportunity to relearn your shot process, especially coming from a wrist strap, but the release itself will not fix target panic. You can just as easily rip off a silverback as you can a trigger, trust me, I’ve done both.

Having worked through this myself, my recommendation would be to get the release, then don’t touch your bow for 2-3 weeks. Follow the Nock On segment on target panic/buck fever (series came out this year) and spend longer than prescribed on the 2nd section that focuses on a shot trainer (long string or d loop material). I think it’s called “Behind the Line” or something. Really dedicate yourself to mastering that back half Dudley talks about. Make sure every shot you feel that arms pulling to the wall behind you until the release breaks. Engrain that mental focus needed to execute the shot. Then move along in Dudleys series.

If you really want to master well executed shots it’s absolutely possible, but it requires dedication and locking that bow up for a bit. Keep in mind the silverback is a tool, not your solution.

best of luck
I appreciate the thorough explanation. I was thinking of getting the string thing, or making one myself. Sounds like it is a good complement for training.

BBecker74

FNG
I just switched From an index to a silverback, I don’t have target panic too bad, it Takes some getting used to that’s for sure, but if you stick with it you’ll see the improvement. Start shooting a blank bale so your not worried about accuracy and can focus on your shot routine.

Gorp2007

WKR
I had target panic to the point where I’d get the full-body tremor pre-shot and occasionally flinch a shot right off the target. It really started to crush my confidence, which in turn created more target panic.

Got the Silverback in January and my groups opened up but my fliers disappeared. There was also a pretty pronounced learning curve to get the proper tension dialed in. It's amazing how inconsistent your holding pressure can be until you've got a tiny piece of metal providing you with instant feedback from shot to shot. Along with helping me with target panic, it also amplifies other form issues that don't always show up with my command releases. The top two are bow hand grip/pressure as well as my release elbow. I’ve only shot a few rounds with my wrist rocket and thumb button, but those rounds blow away what I was shooting before both in terms of accuracy and consistency. Plus I'm not twitching like a skittish race horse before every shot.

Built a shot trainer out of PVC, 550 cord, and a d-loop to help me with practice.

Last edited:
Just don’t give up on it too quick. You’ll probably get worse before you get better. But you will get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100%. I bought a Carter Fulkrum Flex from a buddy last night to play with when I was getting some target panic issues. Mostly drive by shooting and holding over/target fixation. Got pretty bad during league, so I started using the hinge 24/7 and I pulled out a 1st place. I shot a few ASA 3D shoots around here, with my carter wise choice I had shot 8 up and 12 up so far this year. Used my hinge yesterday and went 18 up with 14 12's.

Make the commitment to shoot it before you use your command and eventually you wont want to use the command triggers anymore. I hunted with my hinge and never had an issue with it spooking deer with the click or missing a shot because it didn't go off early enough. If you cant pull through a shot and lose the opportunity, you probably would not have had a great shot with a command release. That is my opinion anyway.

Johnboy

WKR
I bought one of these three years ago and haven't grown the sack to try it. Target panic is an evil thing.

OP
B

bjjnbbq

FNG

best of luck

just pulled the trigger (bad pun fully intended) on a new Silverback so anxiously awaiting its arrival. Also got the overpriced piece of string and wood to practice on. I can't guarantee 2 - 3 weeks away from the bow but I think it's good advice to practice like crazy on the execution mechanics before I live fire.

OP
B

bjjnbbq

FNG
I had target panic to the point where I’d get the full-body tremor pre-shot and occasionally flinch a shot right off the target. It really started to crush my confidence, which in turn created more target panic.
Been there. I actually gave up bow hunting as a kid because of target panic. At 47 I just got back into it so haven't (re)developed too many bad habits yet. I'm trying to curb it before it gets too bad so looking forward to tightening up my process.

Got the Silverback in January and my groups opened up but my fliers disappeared. There was also a pretty pronounced learning curve to get the proper tension dialed in. It's amazing how inconsistent your holding pressure can be until you've got a tiny piece of metal providing you with instant feedback from shot to shot. Along with helping me with target panic, it also amplifies other form issues that don't always show up with my command releases. The top two are bow hand grip/pressure as well as my release elbow. I’ve only shot a few rounds with my wrist rocket and thumb button, but those rounds blow away what I was shooting before both in terms of accuracy and consistency. Plus I'm not twitching like a skittish race horse before every shot.

Built a shot trainer out of PVC, 550 cord, and a d-loop to help me with practice.

When I don't use my hinge for more than a few days, I will full on jerk/shake when it clicks. Even the first shot of the day when I draw and anchor I have a minor reaction to the click. Just something I've learned to accept.

Zac

WKR
When I don't use my hinge for more than a few days, I will full on jerk/shake when it clicks. Even the first shot of the day when I draw and anchor I have a minor reaction to the click. Just something I've learned to accept.
Only time I ever winced with the click was with the Trufire Sear. I repeatedly punched myself in the face with that one. This is when I learned to never trust Levi Morgan lol.

Only time I ever winced with the click was with the Trufire Sear. I repeatedly punched myself in the face with that one. This is when I learned to never trust Levi Morgan lol.
I take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Especially when they draw 30''+ or sub 28''. I'm 28.5'' so the results of them folks is significantly different than mine. Like Gillingham saying the Thorns are the best heads ever. Well if you're shooting a 450g arrow 320fps because you're 33'' draw and 75# then yeah, it will penetrate anything it touches. But not out of my bow. And the inverse of the Ethics archery guy telling me I need a 700g arrow for penetrating mule deer. Well, no, your draw is like 26.5'', you need a fixed head and a 600g arrow. I don't.

Even Levi. The Sear is alright, but defiantly requires some minute attention when drawing. I had 1 I couldn't get drawn back without firing and ANOTHER, I damn near couldn't get to fire. I haven't punched myself yet, luckily.

I was wincing from some PTSD with bows I had before that would click for no reason, only to find out one of the limb pockets was cracked. And another time a cable took a train ticket out of the county. Anxiety can come out of nowhere and it can slowly creep up over a few years of issues.

OP
B

bjjnbbq

FNG

best of luck
Silverback arrived today. I got anxious to try it out so after after mastering the NockOn Shot Trainer with a couple practice pulls it was on to the Hoyt.

Lost my first arrow into the woods after a major flinch and struggled with the new shot mechanics for the rest. Back to the Shot Trainer for the next couple weeks..