Target and Group Size Paralysis by Analysis

Is it just me or does it seem like the youtubes impersonators.. I mean influencers are all like "Hey you shouldn't be in the woods hunting unless you can shoot dimes"

I'm only 39, but I've been bow hunting for long enough that at one point i was happy when my equipment would allow me to be good enough to hit a pie plate at 15 yards. That was kind of our standard for being able to hunt "effectively" .. Where I live we happen to have A LOT of deer to the point that there are special programs that allow hunters in the area to hunt the local parks. There is some training required, but as far as qualifications, you need to be able to hit a 6.25" plate with your chosen broadhead at 20 and 30 yards. Need to be able to do it 3 of 3 consecutive shots at 20 and 2 of 3 at 30yards.

With modern equipment 6.25" plate is very doable, but reality based on my experience, the pie plate test at 20 and 30 is good enough. I was talking with a friend last night and he's missed 2 shots this season and he's getting down on himself. I understand its a total bummer, but I had to remind him that i didn't kill a deer my first 2 seasons in archery and I've missed a bunch of gimme shots. Last archery shot i missed, i had buck fever because it was literally the biggest deer I've ever had opportunity to shoot at. The point I'm getting to, is if you know you can pass the pie plate test at 20 and 30, then keep at it. Although your equipment should be able to; you don't need to shoot 25 cent size groups to connect. Drop your bead dead center on the chest and let it fly. If you're missing, then you need to take a deep breath and slow it down, and talk yourself through execution with proper mechanics. Keep hunting hard everyone

I'm not an influencer but I'm in that camp of shooting bottlecaps. to me it's about respect for the animals.
theoretically a 6" plate is fine, but rarely are we in a perfect situation. if your spread is 6" @ 20 yds and that animal is at 23 yds then you miss or take a bad shot. to me there's no reason for that, you should want to be better. in the moment, too many things can go wrong so we should do our best to make sure we are not one of those things.
this is just my opinion, and I don't look down on anyone for trying. it's all a learning experience and through those bad shots we should be learning what we need to work on. even the pros miss on occasion, but tighter groups lessen that chance.

Tilzbow

WKR
There‘s shooting good enough to kill a whitetail from a tree stand at 20-30 yards and then there are the rest of the animals many of us hunt.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
If you can’t shoot a 50 cent piece sized group for every individual pin you have set up for hunting in a controlled flat warm environment like your backyard then I probably wouldn’t shoot that pin/distance from a elevated position, cold with your heart rate through the roof. My opinion is “good enough for whitetail” refers to a time when technology just wasn’t accurate. There’s really zero excuse in my mind why if you plan to take an animals life you arent doing your due diligence in practicing to the point where you’ve done everything in your power to deliver an ethical shot.

Sizthediz

WKR
Influencer, what is that? If someone aspires to be an "Influencer " I would not listen to a word they say. Lmao Influencer that's all I could do with my life. More like hunting equipment "unboxer" or hunting version of Vanna White. And just because you make money being an Influencer doesn't make you 💩. Unless you're Jesus, then I will listen