Talkeetna caribou hunt 2024

I read up on an previous thread from 2017 on the Talkeetnas caribou hunt. I drew that tag (14A/14B) and an any bull moose tag in 14B. My pilot already bailed on the hunt, so I'm back to the planning part again. I've hunted the Talkeetnas, mostly to the east. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Htm84

WKR
Resident ? Or Non resident? Any bull in 14B has gotta be the easiest tag to fill ever.

Have you tried finding another pilot? That’s close enough an Anchorage based operation can easily drop you off. Plenty of options there.

Otherwise maybe a jet boat up the Talkeetna River 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
M
Have you tried finding another pilot? That’s close enough an Anchorage based operation can easily drop you off. Plenty of options there.

Otherwise maybe a jet boat up the Talkeetna River 🤷🏻‍♂️
I've been blasting out emails and messages, seems tough to get a reply from anyone. But definitely going to keep trying.

OP
M
Are GMU 14 caribou part of the Nelchina Herd? If so, things are quite depressed in that herd.
Nope, it's to the west. I'm sure it's generally the same caribou herd. I saw a lot of nice bulls last year sheep hunting to the east in the nelchina area. But seems like there's way less caribou in general in that herd.

ColeyG

WKR
I read up on an previous thread from 2017 on the Talkeetnas caribou hunt. I drew that tag (14A/14B) and an any bull moose tag in 14B. My pilot already bailed on the hunt, so I'm back to the planning part again. I've hunted the Talkeetnas, mostly to the east. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Congrats on 590. I've been applying for that tag for 15+ years now and have yet to draw it despite all sorts of friends and family drawing it all around me.

Fly with Mike Meekins if you can.

He is the most experienced pilot in that area by far and will know where the caribou are and where the other parties are at and can put you in a good spot accordingly. The caribou aren't think in the 590 area like other places as they tend to be resident and non-migratory. There are some outstanding bulls in the area so if you aren't in a meat crisis, it might be worth it to hold out for a good one.

Last edited:
OP
M
Congrats on 590. I've been applying for that tag for 15+ years now and have yet to draw it despite all sorts of friends and family drawing it all around me.

Fly with Mike Meekins if you can.

He is the most experience pilot in that area by far and will know where the caribou are and where the other parties are at and can put you in a good spot accordingly. The caribou aren't think in the 590 area like other places as they tend to be resident and non-migratory. There are some outstanding bulls in the area so if you aren't in a meat crisis, it might be worth it to hold out for a good one.
Thanks for the information! I'm always in a meat crisis this time of year. Does he have a 135 service? I'd definitely like to hold out for a nicer bull.

OP
M
Thanks for the information! I'm always in a meat crisis this time of year. Does he have a 135 service? I'd definitely like to hold out for a nicer bull.
Just looked him up, going to reach out see what his availability is. Thanks again for the information!

Dhosera

FNG
ColeyG gave you the best name in the biz. Super tough tag to draw. Scenic area, low caribou density but there are a few good ones around and Its honestly more like a sheep hunt than that of a caribou hunt. We shot a little one and a Grizz in there when we went in 14'.

OP
M
ColeyG gave you the best name in the biz. Super tough tag to draw. Scenic area, low caribou density but there are a few good ones around and Its honestly more like a sheep hunt than that of a caribou hunt. We shot a little one and a Grizz in there when we went in 14'.
Awesomeness. I drew a 14b any bull moose tag too, so I'm trying to figure out if a buy once cry once hunt the way to go.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a can am defender 6x6, I shouldn't have that much of a problem finding a bull. The Moose tag is kind secondary, but a full freezer is my priority.
Uhh that moose tag is the no brainer freezer filler. Seriously, be picky on the bou hunt. Filling that moose tag should be only slightly more difficult than falling down.