Talk me into the DT2

Curtis C

WKR
The DT2 bag has a built in pocket/sleeve on both sides that will hold a spotter, tripod or other long bulky gear. I think Luke keeps a big bladder in one of his side sleeves. I call it sleeve because there is no zipper to close the opening, however the top cinch strap tends to hold it somewhat closed. There are also 2 smaller pockets on the center back of the bag for small stuff like snacks, compass, map, or light. If you want belt pouches you will have to add those. the nice thing is you get to choose the size pocket you want. I am on the fence for the XTL. I almost think I would prefer to attach a MID pocket to the standard lid if I need extra space. This year it will just have a bungee for rain gear.

With Kifaru frame I think you have a lot more options as far as setups. I just picked up a E&E to attach to my frame for day hunts and then I will have a cargo panel to haul meat

JG358

WKR
You could always go the route i did.... I talked myself into one by buying thousands of dollars worth of box store one size fits some packs that killed my hips and back. Or you could just learn from everyone else's mistakes and skip the rest and get the best. :)

sk1

WKR
so i made this long post about packs, and jumped the gun and just ordered the kuiu......it just seems to be exactly what i am looking for. with a 60 day return policy as long as it's still in new condition, i figure if i dont like it ill send it back and go kifaru

like i said kuiu appears to have the design i like so i asked myself why i keep holding out for the kifaru, so lets hope kuiu got it right in 2012, or ill be out shipping and getting a kifaru

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd get a T1 or DT1 with 26" frame. You can always lessen the lift angle and compress the extra volume, but you can't make the stays 2" taller if you need to with a heavy load or expand to more space that isn't there due to the pack being full. That means more pockets to get more space, which equates to more weight and more bulk overall rather than just having a bigger bag. My wife is only 5'3 and she has 26" stays on her KU 5200 and they don't stick way above her head like some have made it out to be. 26" stays and 7200 cu in of compressible volume is tough to beat for the money and weight compared to the smaller pack offerings from Kifaru.