Tag along

Hey gang. I’m looking for someone that would allow me to tag along on a western elk hunt to learn from. In trade I’ll help pack out meat.
I’m 37 from Nashville, in shape, good hang and an experience solo camper with gear. I won’t be a burden. I just want to learn the ropes from someone who’s done it before. Or hell hasn’t done it before.

My guess is - you aren't going to get (m)any bites on this for several reasons.
1. They don't know you. It's hard to take a chance on a random person and take them hunting.
1a. since they don't know you - they probably aren't going to want to take you into any of their honey hole type spots. What if it doesn't work out between you guys? Now you know of a prime location to go hunting and you no longer need the guy you tagged along with in the first place.
2. People have different styles of hunting. Some like to drive roads and hike in less than a mile; others like to hike in 3-10 miles and camp for the whole week, still others like to set up a base and then bivvy for a night or two. What type of experience are you looking for?

My suggestion is, if you don't want to spend the money on an elk tag because of the price - look into mule deer or a fall bear hunt instead. Even still, if you don't want to spend the money on those tags - take a camera and make it a backpacking/camping trip. See how good of shape you are in once you get to 8-10k and are hiking 5-8 miles; you might be surprised.

Read through this forum - there are a lot of guys on here who have never hunted out west and they just went for it. Sometimes you do just gotta jump in to the whole thing. You can pick up a lot of tips/tricks on this forum, Elk101, various books and state websites to get you somewhat confident in just going for it.

Hell, I would have loved to have a mentor when I started elk hunting 4 years ago, but I don't. I just went for it; still just going for it, but year after year, I am learning a little more, and getting a little closer. I'm paying my dues and when it happens, all the pain and heartache will have been worth it.

Maybe you can find a local group of guys that have the same interest in hunting out west that you can go with?

I'm not trying to sound all high and mighty as I don't have the experience as a lot of guys on this forum; just giving you an honest answer

16Bore

WKR
Could always try to find an outfitter and be a camp jack....

Okhotnik

WKR
My guess is - you aren't going to get (m)any bites on this for several reasons.
1. They don't know you. It's hard to take a chance on a random person and take them hunting.
1a. since they don't know you - they probably aren't going to want to take you into any of their honey hole type spots. What if it doesn't work out between you guys? Now you know of a prime location to go hunting and you no longer need the guy you tagged along with in the first place.
2. People have different styles of hunting. Some like to drive roads and hike in less than a mile; others like to hike in 3-10 miles and camp for the whole week, still others like to set up a base and then bivvy for a night or two. What type of experience are you looking for?

My suggestion is, if you don't want to spend the money on an elk tag because of the price - look into mule deer or a fall bear hunt instead. Even still, if you don't want to spend the money on those tags - take a camera and make it a backpacking/camping trip. See how good of shape you are in once you get to 8-10k and are hiking 5-8 miles; you might be surprised.

Read through this forum - there are a lot of guys on here who have never hunted out west and they just went for it. Sometimes you do just gotta jump in to the whole thing. You can pick up a lot of tips/tricks on this forum, Elk101, various books and state websites to get you somewhat confident in just going for it.

Hell, I would have loved to have a mentor when I started elk hunting 4 years ago, but I don't. I just went for it; still just going for it, but year after year, I am learning a little more, and getting a little closer. I'm paying my dues and when it happens, all the pain and heartache will have been worth it.

Maybe you can find a local group of guys that have the same interest in hunting out west that you can go with?

I'm not trying to sound all high and mighty as I don't have the experience as a lot of guys on this forum; just giving you an honest answer

Great advice
Be cheaper in long run to pay a guide or come out for 2 weeks in summer, pick a unit, talk to a bio and spend every day hiking different terrains, taking notes

It took me about 5 years to finally feel comfortable hunting and figuring out elk and I have them near me.

Have to put in the time