Tactacam XB - U1 vs U3 SD cards

MTThrower

FNG
So I am a first time trail cam user and picked up 3 Tactacam Reveal XBs. I've played a lot with the sesnsitivity settings, but over the last 2 weeks I've had hundreds of photos of nothing and 2 images with animals in them. I know whitetail does move through my place daily because I see them every morning. I realized after the fact I skipped the fine print and bought U1 instead of U3 class 10 SanDisk Ultra 32 GB cards. Does this make that big of a difference? I see some folks when I search troubleshooting saying they have no problems with the U1.

Eliminate that variable and get the recommended cards. I wouldn’t think that is the cause of your issue but it might be. I’d get the cards and not from Amazon, fleabay, or Walmart online because you risk getting counterfeit SD cards from them.

OP
M

MTThrower

FNG
I ordered one that's listed on the preferred cards. I'll see if that fixes it on the one that has had the most phantom photos and consider replacing the ones in other 2 Cams I have up. I guess I know the answer but I wish I hadn't bought a 5 pack of the U1 cards. :(

rebels20

FNG
Always use the recommended cards. Several ppl using the U1 had issues (some even several months later) on the fb group and switching to U3 fixed the problem.

OP
M

MTThrower

FNG
It does seem to make a difference after switching to U3 and also going down to 3 on the motion sensitivity. Same amount of pics of real critters but way less blanks.

Grell1591

FNG
Interesting topic, I have used the u3 since day one and no issues yet. Sensitivity is set to 7 and not getting many false triggers however also not as many pics total as id think for the area. Almost need to set 2 cams up in the same area and do a comparison to make sure I'm catching everything.

Erict

WKR
Hundreds of photos of "nothing", or hundreds of photos with no obvious game/animals in them?

Sounds to me like standard trailcam issue with having a weed or branches blowing in the wind on a sunny or warmer day, causing the trigger. I get very few of these on my Tactacam and eliminate it by removing the obstacle or changing sensitivity.