T1 or DT1

so im gonna pull the trigger and order up a pack to break in through the winter and start off with next year. i know i waited too long but i still need to decide T1 or DT1?
what would sway it one way or the other?

muleman

WKR
I lean towards the modularity and better hauling capabilities of the DTs. With that said I have never used a Timerline, so I'm basing my "better hauling" opinion on what others have said.

OP
fillthefreezer
ive thought down the same lines but then the oz. side kicks in and i question if the extra weight is necessary or worth it

How much weight are you realistically going to be able to carry and what is your primary species? I have a T1 but have ZERO experience with the DT1 so my opinion is moot right now. I do like the fact that I can still pack just as much weight if I pack my pack carefully with the T1 as I can the DT1... One other thing to think about, is going with the smaller DT3 or DT2 with Cargo panel. You should be able to fit all your gear in that cargo panel is a dry sack and load up the main body of the pack with boned meat and have a pack that is capable of week long trips with the ability to haul out your animal as well...

All things to think about!
One thing I can suggest, is go with the Coyote Brown! ;)

Mike

littlebuf

Banned
The reason I bought a T1 was like most guys I don't have the ability to own multiple 800$ packs.so this pack was going to be my everyday hunting pack.the T1 gets very compact for day hunts and huge for backcountry needs.I just couldn't see the dt n and out of the truck for the days I'm doing what I call hit and runs.httng multiple areas 2 or 3 miles at a time in the same day,seems like t would be overly bulky for hunting like that.the T1 fully compressed feels like a day pack,not a huge pack shrunk down to day pack size.that's why I went T1 anyhow

OP
fillthefreezer
with my current setup for a 3 or 4 day trip i leave the truck around 65lbs. if im doing a day hike and want to get a workout in around 80lbs.
i have packed 115lbs but not for more than 1.5mi. but that was awhile back and my conditioning has improved since....
i also cant afford multiple packs and want to be able to use my pack for summer backpacking(scouting), backpack hunting, meat hauling out of a base camp for elk season, day hunting for bear and blacktail ready to haul meat, shed hunting, winter snowshoe/camping trips and hopefully start doing out of state hunts starting first with black bear in AK.
point being i use a pack alot thoughout the year and i want a pack to do it all.

OP
fillthefreezer
while i may end up with a cargo panel if i end up a stick slinger i dont see myself going smaller as i have a small pack now and have no intention of wishing for more space again

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my DT2 and love it. Like Hells Canyon mentioned I paired mine with a cargo panel vs going with the larger bag. Now to the DT vs the T you might want to wait and see what Luke has to say here after he gets back from his sheep hunt. I know he has used the DT and this time the T so we will get some great feedback from him. I went with the DT over the T because I like the solid frame feel vs the internal frame feel while packing heavy loads. If you've never had a frame pack before it is a little hard to get used to, like Buff said too its a little bulkier then the T but I don't mind. Write down your expectations, hunting style, and needs/wants. Then make notes and see what one fits your style the best , it helped me.

I prefer the T1 for its lighter weight, packability, and more "flexible feel" (my own made up feeling). Personally, I do not haul enough weight to make the DT1 a better option for me. The T1 hauls loads up to 120lbs just fine for me, and most of my loads will be 80lbs or less anyways so while the DT1 does have better heavier load carrying capabilities for my hunting needs it is more robust than is needed.

I have the DT frame and cargo panel plus two long pockets currently. It got me into the pack a lot sooner than I would have otherwise. Next year I will get a DT2 or DT1 bag. Most likely a DT2 bag given I have the long pockets.

OP
fillthefreezer
i will be waiting patiently to see what luke has to say on this subject for sure!
im not sure what i would say my hunting style is? i rifle hunt, early season mule deer, general season blacktail, general season elk, ive got a moose hunt to go on this year

cmeier117

WKR
I have both and would use the DT1 for 90% of everything for hunting. I also will carry 120+ lb loads on my way out with meat so that is a big plus having the frame. Although my T2 will carry the weight just as comfortable if I pack it correctly. I also like the fact that I can buy a DT3 bag for $269 bucks! That way I have day trips/scouting/10+ day trips covered with one frame. The DT packs are only about 20 oz more than the Timberline packs. Still lightweight compared to most other brands out there. I personally like the modularity and increase side to side rigidity you gain. I will have to agree with backpack hunter on the "flexy feel" it does "move" with you a little more but not much. The way they have the frame sheet cut on the DT packs it feels like an internal frame pack. My vote is DT1 and then get the DT3 bag later down the road.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What cmeier said. The biggest reason that I like the duplex frame system is the number of bags that can be attached to it. From Kifaru alone you have 4 LH options(buy while they still are making them), 3 Timberline options, the EMR and MMR, not to mention the cargo panel. This doesn't even include some of the cheaper options and not so cheaper options which you can fit on the frame with some mods. The best part of all that is you don't have to buy it all at once either.

cmeier117

WKR
I have even seen some guys use the cargo panel and a 60-70 Liter dry sack for their hunting gear and add a few pockets to the back of the cargo panel and hunt with that. Not my cup of tea but I drink coffee and everyone is different. I don't want anyone to get the impression that the standard Timberline and all their Wraptech Plus suspension packs are inferior to the Duplex. I think the biggest gain is the options you have and a little is weight carrying abality if you carry a lot of weight and very often. If you were a guide I would say Duplex all the way... Us normal guys is a tough question for some. Either way Kifaru will have us covered for a long time to come.

OP
fillthefreezer
I have even seen some guys use the cargo panel and a 60-70 Liter dry sack for their hunting gear and add a few pockets to the back of the cargo panel and hunt with that. Not my cup of tea but I drink coffee and everyone is different. I don't want anyone to get the impression that the standard Timberline and all their Wraptech Plus suspension packs are inferior to the Duplex. I think the biggest gain is the options you have and a little is weight carrying abality if you carry a lot of weight and very often. If you were a guide I would say Duplex all the way... Us normal guys is a tough question for some. Either way Kifaru will have us covered for a long time to come.

right, im packing <65 90% of the time so is the weight worth it?
if i end up with a moose quarter on it id say so but will i wish it was lighter when chasing mule deer at 7500?

cmeier117

WKR
right, im packing <65 90% of the time so is the weight worth it?
if i end up with a moose quarter on it id say so but will i wish it was lighter when chasing mule deer at 7500?

In your case the T1 will carry a moose quarter when you get one. Not sure if it will fit in the pack opening though. We don't have moose in Oregon! ;) So someone else will have to chime in on that one.

So for your case you need to decide if the modularity is worth it to you. Even down the road. The greatest thing of all in this case is Kifaru has great re sale value and you will not lose very much if you want one or the other down the road. I have even seen packs go for retails because some don't want to wait the 6+ weeks. Try the T1 and give it a go. It really is a win win for you.

swat8888

WKR
As much as I love to shave a couple ounces...in this case DT1 vs. T1 I had to side with the DT1 just because I seem to love changing my mind more than I do counting ounces. Went with the DT1 because of the options, even though I think I could have gotten by just fine with the T1. Now if I want to go to a smaller pack....not likely, or take off my pack and have a sort of hybrid multi-pocket meat hauler with the cargo frame....very likely....I have the option.

I do tend to like a little stiffer pack for those heavy weight descents down rocky hillsides.