Switching from bag to quilt

welpro222

WKR
Hey guys, just wanting to get some info from people who have switched from a sleeping bag to a quilt. Are you happy or did you go back? I was thinking about trying out a lighter sleeping setup. At the moment I have a Kifaru Slick bag and love it, and also feel safer with a synthetic bag in wet climates that we have here in the Pacific NW. I was thinking with a down filled Quilt, I could shave 2 lbs off my pack weight.

Also how is the temp rating? I feel my Slick bag is close, but I will run a 0 degree model if temps are in the 20's.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
I like it. I doubt I will ever go back but it's not for everyone. I prefer down at this point and I have gotten mine pretty wet without getting cold. I might feel differently if I were using it in SE AK all the time though.

I watched the podcast a few days ago where Aron went through everything in his pack. When he pulled out the sleeping bag my first thought was "holy crap that thing is huge". A 20 degree quilt is probably half the size of that slick bag.

twall13

WKR
I made the switch and love it as well. I use down and am comfortable I can prevent it from getting soaked. If getting it wet worries you there are synthetic quilt options as well. Again, they will be heavier and bulkier than down options but being a quilt they will still shave some space and weight.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just pulled the trigger on a EE Revelation quilt. I ordered a extra wide because I sleep on my side and stomach and just couldn't get comfortable in my down bag. I guess I'm a wild sleeper. For me a quilt makes more sense for my needs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have switched from synthetic bag to down bag to down quilt. And every time I switched it was more and more comfortable. This is the first year I tried a quilt and I should have done it sooner.

As for worrying about down in the PNW that's where I started backpack hunting. I've never worried about it. I am careful and have never had a problem with getting it wet.

Regards, Branden

I made the switch about two years ago because I was tired of trying to find a zipper in the dark. I got a great deal on a quilt and haven't looked back.

So you guys aren't worried about down getting wet and shortening your trip? How wet can it be and still retain warmth? I'm afraid to switch to down from synthetic because I spend all year plotting and planning for trips to CO and can't imagine getting run off the mtn when my down bag gets wet or soaked in condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking on buying one myself until sharing a camp this elk season with a friend that had one. He complained about how drafty it was. He's thinking on buying a sleeping bag liner to use to cut the drafts. Think it was a 10 degree bag.

You either like it or you don't. It's really that simple. Would a wet down sleeping bag run you off the mountain in Colorado or would just a wet down quilt do that? Buy one and try it for yourself and if it's not for you, sell it.

TXCO

WKR
I have an EE. Its good but Ive asked for a small design tweak to keep the cord from hitting you in the face. I dont like a quilt in real cold temperatures because body can escape.

OP
W

welpro222

WKR
That is why I like testing my gear in comparable conditions before taking it into the mountains. I don't plan on selling my Slick bag either way, just hard to justify slapping $300+ on another sleep system. If I like it, I'll keep both.

I made the switch several years ago and the only time I ever use a sleeping bag is on a trip where I want to enjoy complete luxury and weight is not at all a factor. On those trips I'll typically bring a 0° Coleman bag that is flannel lined and weighs probably around 10 pounds, I don't know for sure as I never weighed it. Every year I do at least one hunt on Kodiak Island where rain and wet conditions are the norm and the quilts I use are down filled. I'm pretty meticulous about keeping things dry and so far, knock on wood, it hasn't been an issue. They also pack down very small and weigh next to nothing.
fcca73f532d29aabdc42acd0d614b472.jpg
p
377218b686ec0c9c45f285c92cd0d6a0.jpg

jtw

WKR
Cant speak to quilts but being a fellow pac nwer, Ive run down my whole life and never had an issue. Ive never gotten one soaked. If its in my pack its in a waterproof compression sack. Theyve been damp a few times but im not sure how I would soak it unless my tent failed miserably then im probably going home anyway.

I'm in Washington and spend plenty of time in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, which has been plenty wet here lately. I switched to an EE Accomplice (20 deg) for the girlfriend and I and a Revelation (10 deg) for myself, and we have been nothing but pleased with the choice. We've found them to be nothing but warm and haven't had any issues with rain or condensation. I think they've been a great choice and don't see myself ever going back.

So you guys aren't worried about down getting wet and shortening your trip? How wet can it be and still retain warmth? I'm afraid to switch to down from synthetic because I spend all year plotting and planning for trips to CO and can't imagine getting run off the mtn when my down bag gets wet or soaked in condensation.

I am kind of careful with it. I line my pack with a garbage bag to keep everything dry on the hike in. Once the tent is setup then I put it inside. If going floorless then I have it in a bivy. Only way I see it getting wet is if the tent fails. And if that happens I'm probably going to be hiking out asap to get a dry bag and new shelter. Doesn't matter if it's down or synthetic.

Regards, Branden

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

thats a real possibility. this year in colorado, we had crazy condensation, luckily it got warm enough in the day to dry them out but if it didn't, and we didn't have a stove, it could have turned out worse. I would worry about a down bag in wetter climates for sure but colorado i bet you can get by with down

I am kind of careful with it. I line my pack with a garbage bag to keep everything dry on the hike in. Once the tent is setup then I put it inside. If going floorless then I have it in a bivy. Only way I see it getting wet is if the tent fails. And if that happens I'm probably going to be hiking out asap to get a dry bag and new shelter. Doesn't matter if it's down or synthetic.

Yup, and I will add one more thing, if my tent fails, and my stuff is wetted out, I'm more than likely in a life or death situation and I'm making a phone call to the Coast Guard, with sat phone, to be airlifted out. I have never considered this to be an option, although I guess it is.

Last edited: