Switched to Split Finger

The other day I picked up a split finger tab and decided to give it a try just for the heck of it. I’m sure glad I did, because for whatever reason, I suddenly became way more accurate, especially windage. Maybe it’s the way my bow is tillered, maybe it changed my anchor and aim, but I’m sold.

Just wanted to post because it’s fun to try different things sometimes in trad and reinvigorate things.

I do it occasionally and love how much less vibration and noise there is. Just doesn’t feel quite as comfortable for me and I like the arrow closer to my eye. Keeps the point on a little closer for me too. Glad it is working out!

Mythewood

FNG
Split seems to be more "instinctive" where 3 under i
Seems more arrow point focused. I shoot split and have for 45 years and it just feels right.

Redhawk

FNG
i grew up shooting split finger and had a period of shooting 3 under, i got a BW custom tillered for 3 under and now im back to shooting split finger. anybody have a similar issue? im thinking of having it re-tillered for split finger but not sure if its worth it, or makes that much difference?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like split finger too, the 3 under just feels strange and I don’t feel like I have good for tell of the arrow. Sort of hard to explain but 3 under just feels off to me.

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
Lol! I forgot I started this thread. I actually went right back to 3 under after a Rod Jenkins clinic, and I’m thinking that’s where I’ll stay.

As far as shooting a bow 3 under that is tillered for split finger; I have always just raised the nock point and it has been a non-issue.

bisblue

WKR
Joel Turner suggested I try shooting split with my pointer finger on my cheek bone below my eye, using my middle finger to anchor below my cheekbone. I just need a soft split finger tab to try it

Kentucky

WKR
3 under camp for me… I can shoot split just fine, only thing it changes for me is POI… my learned instinctive gaps are 3u…for me it’s the way to go

bobinmi

WKR
I switched to 3 under when I stopped shooting instinctive. The gaps were just too big for me with a split.

3 under really caught on for gap shooters lowering their point on distances. Split obviously is plenty consistent if you look at Olympic archers.

I tried shooting three under a couple years ago... It didn't last long. It pushed my string too far from my face and the anchor felt so wrong.
With trad bows there's definitely no right way to shoot as long as your consistent with it. I don't care what the experts say. There's some straight up slop shooters who flat kill. A lot of the legends. My mentor was a Hill style shooter. Kids these days would say he couldn't hit anything by watching his form. But dang he was good! Stupid good! Even well past 50 yards.