SWFA 6x42 Broke

Sandstrom

WKR
Try bending it back, what’s the worst that could happen??
I had a Cabala’s scope that I “drop tested” do the same thing, I bent it back, still seams to work:)

mcr-85

WKR
4th, but I'm buying them for my kids so 1st.
Same.
a6167d7a0861932a9498ce0b44cce4c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

4th_point

WKR
Got back from a hunt today and leaned my rifle in a padded rifle case against the truck. Gravity took over and the case/rifle slid down and hit the ground.

The rifle must've landed right on top of the scope, bending/breaking the eyepiece right at the parallax ring.

View attachment 628462
Good job man! Stuff breaks and optics are fragile.

Do you still have the scope or did you send it in? What actually failed? Can you see what actually broke inside it?

Also wondering if you can explain the tip over. The rifle was in the case, pointed with muzzle up, and resting with butt end on ground? Rifle tipped backwards and landed on the ocular end?

There's not much energy in a tip over event, plus you had a case for a bit of protection. And it would appear that the elevation turret would contact the ground first.

Any chance that there was something else that caused the damage? Like getting crushed during loading or unloading of vehicle, etc.? I know it might seem like the tip over did it. Just trying to see if there is another explanation.

Thanks,

Jason

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
Good job man! Stuff breaks and optics are fragile.

Do you still have the scope or did you send it in? What actually failed? Can you see what actually broke inside it?

Also wondering if you can explain the tip over. The rifle was in the case, pointed with muzzle up, and resting with butt end on ground? Rifle tipped backwards and landed on the ocular end?

There's not much energy in a tip over event, plus you had a case for a bit of protection. And it would appear that the elevation turret would contact the ground first.

Any chance that there was something else that caused the damage? Like getting crushed during loading or unloading of vehicle, etc.? I know it might seem like the tip over did it. Just trying to see if there is another explanation.

Thanks,

Jason

I still have the scope. I was able to re-zero it, so I’m going to use it for a thanksgiving hunt then send it back in. I can’t really see anything internally that broke. I’m not an expert on scope anatomy, but I’ll take more pictures if you want.

As far as the tip over. Rifle in the case, muzzle down. Truck *was* backed up to the garage. Rifle leaned against the bumper. I would agree with your assessment that the padding of case and elevation turret should’ve prevented this kind of damage. I’ve been racking my brain, and the only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that the ~2” difference between the driveway and garage floor created a big enough vertical gap for the eyepiece to strike first vs the turret.

After the hunt, the gun was placed directly in the case, and then placed on the floorboard in the back seat. So no possible way loading/unloading/crushing caused the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
I'm just surprised any scope in a padded case would get that kind of damage from a short 'tip over' type of fall! Live and learn I guess.

4th_point

WKR
I can’t really see anything internally that broke. I’m not an expert on scope anatomy, but I’ll take more pictures if you want.

I’ve been racking my brain, and the only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that the ~2” difference between the driveway and garage floor created a big enough vertical gap for the eyepiece to strike first vs the turret.

After the hunt, the gun was placed directly in the case, and then placed on the floorboard in the back seat. So no possible way loading/unloading/crushing caused the issue.
Hey thanks for the extra info!

You were able to just push the ocular assembly back into place? Do you think that it let the genie out, and will fogging be a concern for your upcoming hunt?

Pictures of the inside, where the assemblies join would be awesome. After your hunt obviously.

I'd assume that the garage floor is concrete and the 2" ledge certainly helps explain the failure. And it seems like the truck being in motion contributed more than just a slow tip over.

Just goes to show how things can go wrong quick!

Got back from a hunt today and leaned my rifle in a padded rifle case against the truck. Gravity took over and the case/rifle slid down and hit the ground. Couldn't have been that hard, right? Not thinking too much of it, I was shocked when I took the gun out to wipe it down. The rifle must've landed right on top of the scope, bending/breaking the eyepiece right at the parallax ring. I checked zero and it was way off. Thankfully SWFA has a lifetime warranty for the sake of my own mistake. Unfortunately I have to wait till scopes are back in stock.

View attachment 628461
View attachment 628462
View attachment 628463
OP do you have any more hunts this year? I have a fixed 6x in MIL/MIL sitting on a rifle not getting used, and I'd be happy to lend it to you until the season is over if you need one.

Fatcamp

WKR
This poor child, due to state regulations, is practicing with a 1X scope in anticipation of an upcoming muzzleloader hunt.

Your one time donation of a 6X scope would make him much happier.

😁

Screenshot_20231118-180354_Gallery.jpg

This is hilarious. Supposedly passes 36” drop tests that scopes costing 10x as much “fail”, but can’t handle falling over in a padded rifle case 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm impressed that you can bend it back and it still holds zero. I'm willing to bet it was damaged before being put into the case, but of course that is just an unprovable guess. The initial damage could have been done well before and it was just waiting for something to tip it over the edge.

My 6x survived multiple drops from over 36 inches onto a rug on a concrete floor, the rifle broke though.

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
Or swap them out for sportsmatch
When you took the scope off we’re the rings damaged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@amassi Scope is still mounted. But from what I can see, pics included, I don't see any noticeable ring damage. Just that they're mounted backwards.
unnamed-3.jpgunnamed-4.jpgunnamed-5.jpg

Try bending it back, what’s the worst that could happen??
I had a Cabala’s scope that I “drop tested” do the same thing, I bent it back, still seams to work:)
@Sandstrom I can bend the ocular piece up and down, but it won't stay "straight" after I bend it up. The worst that can happen? You know the saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix it"? Since I can still get a decent sight picture and shoot decent sized groups, I'm going to to go with "If it's already broke, don't break it anymore" till I'm done with my hunt this week :ROFLMAO:
Hey thanks for the extra info!

You were able to just push the ocular assembly back into place? Do you think that it let the genie out, and will fogging be a concern for your upcoming hunt?

Pictures of the inside, where the assemblies join would be awesome. After your hunt obviously.

I'd assume that the garage floor is concrete and the 2" ledge certainly helps explain the failure. And it seems like the truck being in motion contributed more than just a slow tip over.

Just goes to show how things can go wrong quick!
@4th_point - I read my last reply, and I can see that I wasn't super clear that the truck was parked. It was not in motion. As far as the ocular assembly. I can very easily bend the ocular piece up and down. I definitely think that it "let the genie out" and fogging may be an issue. The only thing that is functionally broke is the parallax ring, it won't dial below 20m. Things definitely went sour fast. Lesson learned they hard way and I'll never stand a gun on end again. Here are some more pics for you.

Current state of "natural" position
unnamed.jpg

Pushing up on ocular piece
unnamed-1.jpg

Pulling down on ocular piece
unnamed-2.jpg

Minimum parallax position
unnamed-6.jpg

OP do you have any more hunts this year? I have a fixed 6x in MIL/MIL sitting on a rifle not getting used, and I'd be happy to lend it to you until the season is over if you need one.
@carsonkeys Man that's extremely generous of you. This is my primary small game rifle, but I do have a sweet little Winchester Model 67 single shot with iron sights as a back up. Thank you for the offer.

I'm impressed that you can bend it back and it still holds zero. I'm willing to bet it was damaged before being put into the case, but of course that is just an unprovable guess. The initial damage could have been done well before and it was just waiting for something to tip it over the edge.

My 6x survived multiple drops from over 36 inches onto a rug on a concrete floor, the rifle broke though.
@Marbles I'm also equally impressed it's still able to dial and hold zero. I dialed the elevation and windage turrets all the way in, all the way back out, and reset them to my zero, and it still dialed right on.
No noticeable binding when dialing. I've only had this set up for ~4 months now. It's been to the range once to get sighted in and on two squirrel hunts. It's only been dropped this once. Always stored in the gun safe and transported in a padded gun case. Unless something happened without me knowing, it had to have been this drop that caused the damage.

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 16