Sweaty feet!

OP
V

Veezer

FNG
I finally found something that worked great for me and wanted to do a follow up. I tried the anti perspirant and that didnt do much for me. I tried it here around the house and I still had sweaty feet. So, I bought a set of smartwool merino socks, smartwool liner socks and then a set of coolmax liner socks. I headed to Colorado a few weeks ago and gave them a try. First I tried the coolmax/merino combo and WOW...what a difference that made. I hiked all over the place and would change out my wool socks and let the liners dry out when I sat during the middle of the day. The liners were thin enough that it didn't bother me as far as being too bulky. The smartwool liner was a little thicker and worked well, but felt a little bulky in my boots so I had to loosen them out a little. One day I walked around 8 miles and although my feet were sore at the end of the day, I didn't have any blisters.

I am sold on the liner socks as the answer for me!

Here's what's worked for me so far. Leukotape the hot spot areas. Put on knee high panty hose then merino socks. No issues found since i started using this method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT Bill

FNG
My feet sweat excessively as well. Even when cold they are always wet it seems. Gore-tex and waterproof boots are the worst for me. I try to wear leather only boots. The breathe-ability of leather helps the most. For me at least, the key to comfortable feet is leather. If my feet are going to be wet anyway the waterproof liners in most boots don't do much except to keep my feet wet all day.

Above and beyond that I'll use an antiperspirant and powder. I haven't used liner socks in a long time, but based off suggestions here I may have to give them a try again.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'd entirely wrap my feet in Leukotape, as a football player would, then have an inner sock and an outer sock. The outer would be merino wool. The inner...I'd try variations. Silk, polypro, merino, etc..

In the end, if your foots is fully wrapped, but pours water, the Leukotape will keep your it from blistering.

Have you tried ruffing up your feed with sandpaper starting months before the hunt. Sand them to just before bleeding and give it 3 days to heal and then repeat. Going barefooted also helps as does putting sandans small gravel in your shoes and wearing them. I do this and never had a blister and I started off each day wading through a creek so I had wet feet all day and walked probably close to 10 miles a day. I know this is off a little but why chance blisters when you don't have too.

akshayv

Banned
OMG! I felt like I was walking on hot rocks until I got Orthofeet shoes. Now I feel like I have a new pair of feet. They have awesome arch support and great heel cushioning that work great for my plantar fascists. I'm a nurse and work in a hospital 12 hour shifts. Couldn’t keep going without these!!! Telling all my friends.

My feet sweat bad too.
I use the Smartwool liners and early on I'll use the light hikers and I'll carry a spare set with me. When I can ill stop and pull the boots off and air the socks out and maybe change them with the dry pair.

I've never really had an issue with blisters. I usually don't bother using powder, I save that for my down under. The powders seem to lose their effect quickly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
Maybe the boots are too tight fitting. I have a pair that are tighter fitting and i do notice my feet get hotter in them.

I’ve been surprised that I haven’t heard about more guys using foot powder. It worked wonders for me when I was on a fishing boat it AK for a couple months. On your feet for very long periods of time in rubber boots and no regular showers/laundry.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I see several have suggested Darn Tough socks. While they indeed are tough and last very well, there is no doubt that my feet sweat way more in the DT socks than in Smart Wool. My local shop agrees and states their weave is different causing them to last longer but not breathing as well. Your experience may vary but that is mine for what it's worth.

Last edited:

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I deal with sweaty feet also meaning cold feet, the game changer was when I started using foot powder. From waders to bow hunting it helps so much a bottle is in the truck 365 days a year now. I have tried many different models of smart wool socks and you may need that warm sock after you stop moving but sweat while setting decoys or getting to a tree stand the powder makes a difference. being the cheap college kid I am baking soda works okay in a pinch too.

Going to south Dakota soon. I'm expecting sweaty feet. What's the best boot for hiking and not getting too sweaty?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have always had issues with my feet sweating while hiking. So, when I am out hunting, my socks get damp and that leads to cold feet and especially hot spots/blisters, especially on the balls of my feet and bottom of my big toe. I normally wear an all leather boot (Asolo 520 GTX for warmer weather or a goretex lined taller insulated boot for colder temps). Normally, I can make it about 2 days of walking about 4 miles a day before I pretty much am crippled by blisters. I have tried changing out socks and taking my boots off and letting them air out while I am sitting and I always seem to have the same issues.

I have tried a few different socks, but haven't found one that really makes a difference yet. All the boots I have worn had different footbeds (superfeet in my Asolo's), but it doesnt seem to make a difference either.

My question, is for those of you that have similar issues, what works for you or what do you suggest I try?
sock liner, thin wool socks. Padded socks but no cotton.

c3cross

FNG
I agree with mrbillbrown, leukotape, panty hose, and top it off with merino socks (I use DarnTough) . I've had really good luck with this combo and my feet sweat a lot and I get blisters easy.

bmf0713

WKR
I wear leather work boots all day and when my feet get really sweaty I’ll actually wear 2 pairs of socks. Wool and then a cotton no show over top. The wool will wick sweat into the cotton and only the cotton will be wet. Sounds kinda crazy but it works for me for sweat and stink and I have some nasty ass feet.

I have been wearing Point6 mid-weight wool trekking socks the last several years and had great luck with them. Also, changing socks during the day is important. I also prefer leather lined boots and don't wear my Gore-Tex-lined boots very much any more as i waterproof the leather on my leather-lined Hanwags. Water will eventually get in if exposed for long enough but they dry out faster than Gore-Tex boots which will leak eventually as well.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I wear leather work boots all day and when my feet get really sweaty I’ll actually wear 2 pairs of socks. Wool and then a cotton no show over top. The wool will wick sweat into the cotton and only the cotton will be wet. Sounds kinda crazy but it works for me for sweat and stink and I have some nasty ass feet.
I kind of get the feeling thats what foot powder does for me, it acts as an absorbent.