SWD backpacks for heavy loads

dodido

FNG
I’m looking at purchasing a SWD backpack (either the Wendigo or Big Wild). Are there any long term users here with insight on durability of these packs and how they handle heavier weights, ie 40-60lbs?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My buddy has a SWD (Big Wild), he used it a lot this past Fall helping his father in law who had a sheep tag (Cabinet Wilderness). He was carrying 40-60 lbs routinely ( in some very rugged country) with it and no complaints.

OP
D

dodido

FNG
My buddy has a SWD (Big Wild), he used it a lot this past Fall helping his father in law who had a sheep tag (Cabinet Wilderness). He was carrying 40-60 lbs routinely ( in some very rugged country) with it and no complaints.
Thanks, that’s I’m close to pulling the trigger, looks like a nice all around bag for trips with heavier loads but also for some light weight overnight hikes..

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is my buddy w/ his SWD from this last September- some tough country to traverse!

hQpUbOu.jpg

Late to the party, but I've had a SWD Rugged Big Wild (looks like they've dropped the "rugged" off their line; I think that all it meant was that the fabric was ultra400 instead of ultra200) for 2 years now. It's wildly comfortable, and held up very well with probably ~60-80 days of use. I loaded it up with an bone-in & skin-on cow elk hindquarter, liver, both backstraps, heart, and all my hunting gear shortly after buying it. Probably around 100 lbs, but I didn't have a scale. I won't say it was comfortable, but I don't know what would be under those conditions. It held for the 2-3 miles I needed it to, and gave no indication that it was going to fall apart. Seems to be a great pack.
It did NOT hold up well to carrying my skis in an A-frame; the metal edges of the skis bit into the fabric and tore them a bit. Not enough to give me any concern over the structure of the pack, but enough that I haven't done it again.
Hope that helps some folks in the future.

Late to the party, but I've had a SWD Rugged Big Wild (looks like they've dropped the "rugged" off their line; I think that all it meant was that the fabric was ultra400 instead of ultra200) for 2 years now. It's wildly comfortable, and held up very well with probably ~60-80 days of use. I loaded it up with an bone-in & skin-on cow elk hindquarter, liver, both backstraps, heart, and all my hunting gear shortly after buying it. Probably around 100 lbs, but I didn't have a scale. I won't say it was comfortable, but I don't know what would be under those conditions. It held for the 2-3 miles I needed it to, and gave no indication that it was going to fall apart. Seems to be a great pack.
It did NOT hold up well to carrying my skis in an A-frame; the metal edges of the skis bit into the fabric and tore them a bit. Not enough to give me any concern over the structure of the pack, but enough that I haven't done it again.
Hope that helps some folks in the future.
These packs aren't breakaway-style, right? You're just putting all the meat inside the bag with your other gear? Curious how this one compares (comfort, fit, load handling) to either a breakaway pack or another conventional pack if you've packed out meat with either in the past.

Correct, it is not a break-away pack. Just one big compartment. I put all the meat in the bottom, then gear on top. Rifle butt sits in one of the exterior pockets and a strap across the barrel secures it. Snacks/water goes in the other pocket.

It is the only pack I've used to pack out meat. Username related.

I have carried 60-75 lbs in an osprey aether 85L in the past. The SWD is more comfortable due to the hip belt suspension and the narrow & tall construction that keeps weight snug against your body.

Correct, it is not a break-away pack. Just one big compartment. I put all the meat in the bottom, then gear on top. Rifle butt sits in one of the exterior pockets and a strap across the barrel secures it. Snacks/water goes in the other pocket.

It is the only pack I've used to pack out meat. Username related.

I have carried 60-75 lbs in an osprey aether 85L in the past. The SWD is more comfortable due to the hip belt suspension and the narrow & tall construction that keeps weight snug against your body.
Got it. Not sure this would sway me from my current setup but good to know their packs pass the durability test; the weight is tempting.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using an SWD Wendigo (now Wolverine) for the last couple years. I liked the Wendigo so much I had SWD build a slightly modified Wolverine with a couple changes I spec'd.

I started backpacking in 1975, and switched completely to carrying internal frames in 1978 - the SWD Wolverine 70L is my favorite backpacking backpack of the dozens I've owned since 1978. The only other packs close were a circa 1987 Greogory, and 1998 Osprey. Having said all that, I'd not use the Wendigo/Wolverine for a meat hauler. Not to say it wouldn't work in a pinch obvoiusly, but it wouldn't be my first (or even third) choice.