Swarovski SLC vs Zeiss SFL?

Does anyone have any experience between the Swaro SLC vs the Zeiss SFL binos? I am looking at adding a 8 power bino in either the SLC or the SFL. I have owned the SLCs before and enjoyed them but I wonder if the SFLs are an improvement. They seem to get high praise from a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
There are several generations of SLC'S and the latest HD would likely be comparable in image quality. One major advantage to the SFL is the compact size. I think they are also 4-5 ounces lighter. You really should compare them yourself. Both are outstanding.

OP
T
Thanks everyone for confirming what I had a feeling would be the answer. Sounds like Zeiss has a winner on their hands.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Just hope you don’t need the warranty on the zeiss. Keeping my SLC’s for that reason alone

roweraay

FNG
Classified Approved
Just hope you don’t need the warranty on the zeiss. Keeping my SLC’s for that reason alone
I have had several Zeiss Binos in the past 20+ years, starting from their classic line and subsequently their Night Owl line and the Conquest HD etc. Never had a single issue with any of them - ever !

Fritz D

FNG
Big difference in weight as the current 8X SLC has 56mm objective lenses. Swaro’s figures give the weight as 43 ounces? So you are looking at 20 ounces + lighter for the 40mm objective version of the Zeiss?

roweraay

FNG
Classified Approved
Fwiw, I’ve compared SLC to the Victories…..

Victories are hands down better…I haven’t seen the SFL’s
My quality ratings of the various Swarovski/Zeiss lines would be as follows:

Swarovski NL Pures >= Zeiss Victory SF > Swarovski EL = Zeiss SFL

The Zeiss SFs are every bit the equal of the NL Pures, with a bit less FOV, higher light transmission than the NLs, better handling than the NLs etc.

The SFLs come at a lower price point over the others, and a tiny bit less size of the objective lenses (40mm vs 42mm etc), but have absolutely top-notch optics, significantly lighter than the others, along with impeccable build quality…….I personally don’t have them, but know others who do.

I personally decided to go the whole hog, and went with the Swaro NLs and just ordered a new set of 8x42 NLs - you only live once, what the heck ! I already have a NL 12x42 that I recently bought used from a forum member, and subsequently put it on sale here, but still waffling about keeping it VS selling it, since I will then have 2 NLs (8x42 and 12x42).

I have the compared my SFL to my buddies sworos and I thought they were close, both very nice but I was over all happier with the Zeiss.

I had both 8x/10x 42mm SLCs. Still have the 10x but sold the 8x. Truthfully, I regret selling it. The optics of the 8x42 SLC are superb, very sharp and bright with great depth of field and deeply saturated colors. Although they aren’t flat-field it is a view I find very satisfying. Overall they handle quite well but I’m really not fond of their very slow focus in a hand-held 8x glass. Now, that same slow focus is an advantage when using the 10x SLC on a tripod and trying to precisely focus to field judge a distant Mule Deer.

As a hand-held 8x glass the SFL is my preference. Both the SLC and SFL offer bright, crisp, deeply saturated, and easy views. Either is a joy. The SLC may hold a slight advantage in perceived contrast and the SFL in easy view and colors. While both handle very well and are a joy to use, the SFL has a slight handling advantage. But to me, the biggest difference is in the focuser. The SFL is much faster and smoother. Much easier to quickly snap into precise focus on the desired subject.

My 2 cents.

I had both 8x/10x 42mm SLCs. Still have the 10x but sold the 8x. Truthfully, I regret selling it. The optics of the 8x42 SLC are superb, very sharp and bright with great depth of field and deeply saturated colors.

Agreed with this. Ive had the 10x42 SLCs for a few years. I debated on getting some 8x42 SLCs and stayed away mostly due to the longer eye relief (I have to run eye cups all the way in and dont wear glasses) - which ended up being a non factor. I found some 8x42 SLCs a few months ago and the 8x42s have a bit of a wow factor the 10s dont have. Not that the 10x arent outstanding. I have no complaints with the 8x and 10x SLC, and Im set on those long term. But I do think the 8x SLCs are a bit underrated at least compared to the demand for the 10x over the 8x.

roweraay

FNG
Classified Approved
I have really enjoyed my 10x42 SLC over the years.

They have been tried and true.

If it isn’t broken don’t fix it.
Agreed. You have to analyze your use-case and if the equipment you have, meets your need, just keep it. Your bank account with profusely thank you, for not depleting it.

Love my Leica Ultravide 10X42s so much I’m Selling a my Swarovski SLC 10X42s that I just had reconditioned by Swarovski.

wildcat33

WKR
I just bought an 8x32 SFL. First one i got was a total lemon, abosolutely filthy inside. Second one is better. I dont think the QC on japanese zeiss is quite what it should be, based on a limited experience. Just make sure you buy from somewhere that you can return. I was willing to put up with it because i wanted the small form factor. If I was wife shopping (i.e. main hunting bino) i would be searching for a discounted EL or pony up and go NL.

I gave up a pair of 10x50 EL's due to the size and weight and went to SFL 10's.
My biggest complaint is they don't cut sun glare nearly as well as the Swaro.
Marginally better than my Razors for glare but the fast focus on the Zeiss is stellar.

kimballbt

FNG
I would avoid Zeiss for warranty response issues alone. I have multiple Zeiss and Swaro optics and they're all great, but last year, I just sent back an 20+ year old pair of 10x40 Zeiss for repair of a wildly reported focus knob issue and they refused to repair the problem (despite a lifetime warranty) unless I paid $350 claiming that the binos were at the "end of their life" and therefore were no longer covered by the lifetime warranty. They also claimed that the binos must have been dropped because there were some scuff marks. Not true. Interestingly I had the exact same issue with my 20+ year old 15x56 SLCs just last month, and Swarovski repaired them, tuned them up, and returned them at no charge.