Swarovski NL Pure Binocular

It was a great idea for a review and comparison, just too bad the opening pic is misleading as the actual pair of binos they compare against isn’t the same.

Attachments

• 89C08B23-EA4C-47A0-8230-8A4695C38519.png
    89C08B23-EA4C-47A0-8230-8A4695C38519.png
    782.3 KB · Views: 83

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So are you saying that bino that he’s holding in video pic is the newer version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the video:

So are you saying that bino that he’s holding in video pic is the newer version?

The SLC in the opening picture above sitting side by side with the NL is the new HD version SLC. You can tell by the Swarovski name on the lower left barrel. The SLC on the tripod that he actually tested and took pictures with is the older version. You can tell this by the Swarovski name on the mid right barrel.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The SLC in the opening picture above sitting side by side with the NL is the new HD version SLC. You can tell by the Swarovski name on the lower left barrel. The SLC on the tripod that he actually tested and took pictures with is the older version. You can tell this by the Swarovski name on the mid right barrel.

Thanks. I wonder why they didn’t do the HD comparison then? I could understand it if they didn’t have access to the HDs.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm more interested in why they chose to compare the newest field flattening binos, to a different bino system altogether. The test would have been more intriguing if they had used ELs instead of SLCs. I would also question why someone like Epic didn't use the newest version HDs in the SLCs. This is the exact reason I am extremely skeptical of a lot of online reviews. Not having access to SLC HDs is a weak argument for someone like Epic to try and make. Considering I've heard them on podcasts with their buddy, the Swaro rep, I think this is an apples to oranges comparison.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I just called Chris at Epic, the guy that did the review. He said sorry for any confusion but there is only one set of 15Xbinoculars that he tested. He borrowed his brothers and he just assumed they were the newer version. But whatever is in the video is what he reviewed. Any pictures are what he just looked up so that he could have a picture in there. “Sorry for any confusion.”

Make sense?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Did he say why they chose to compare 12NLs to anything other than 12ELs? That's the question everyone is wanting the answer to.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would take that video comparison with a grain of salt. As he mentions those are digiscoped video images, and likely don't reflect the actual optical performance.

As always "clarity" means different things to different people. The biggest difference between the two video images (aside from magnification) was contrast. Some of that could have been the phone playing better with the NL than the SLC. A lot of people seeing an image with more contrast believe the view is showing greater detail, until they actually check a resolution chart.

One interesting part of the video from a digiscoping perspective is the lack of chromatic aberration color fringing in the NL video sample compared to the obvious edge CA in the SLC video. Digiscoping can be a good way to see the differences CA performance if the camera processor isn't falsely reducing CA in one sample more than the other. In this case it looks pretty valid, and the NLs look pretty darn good.

I am excited to see the NL Pure. I am interested in seeing if the monster field of view helps in how hand-holdable it is for a 12x. I am also interested in seeing how much distortion there is in that FOV.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Did he say why they chose to compare 12NLs to anything other than 12ELs? That's the question everyone is wanting the answer to.

Like a lot of the reviews we do, he used when he had on hand.

Maybe Matt can get Ryan to send down his 12ELs so he can compare them?

eltaco

WKR
Shameless plug... I just posted a set of EL 12x50s for sale for whoever wants to do this review! Get em while they’re hot!

Riplip

WKR
Had decided on upgrading to the 8x42 EL but have since talked myself into the NL.

I was fairly set on the 8x42 becuase of the FOV and I primarily hunt archery, however I am now thinking the 10x42 NL is the way to go? No weight or size penalty over 8x42 and FOV is comparable to 8x42 EL's. Any thoughts or feedback on this decision? Any advantages of staying wtih 8's vs 10's?

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know how the NLs will change this up but I switched from 10x42 EL to 8x42 EL. Both were the Swarovision models and the ease of handholding and stability was a huge improvement. I also feel like the 8s are a good compliment to the 15s I almost always have along and are only used on a tripod. It will be interesting to see how the NL series changes things up.