Swarovski NL Pure Binocular

rob_ridge

FNG
I recently purchased the NL’s in 10x42. My first binoculars were vortex diamondbacks and then I purchased meopta MeoStar’s a number of years later. With either of those binoculars, after handholding for any extended amount of time, I would get very motion sick and had to put them down. The NL’s so far have seemed to solve this problem for me. I don’t know if it is the additional field of view that feels less shaky or the clarity of the image, but I am not getting sick anymore!

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it’s already discussed and I missed it but are the 10x and 12x pure the same size as one another?

One more very satisfied NL Pure buyer here. I picked up the 10x42 from a member here (@Peregrine1, great to buy from). I immediately tested them against my Nikon HG 8x42. I've loved these for several years and even briefly owned a pair of 10x42 EL's and tested them against each other. I didn't find the EL's better enough to justify keeping them so I released them.

Well, after waiting to hear long term reviews of the NL's I decided to take a chance. I was drawn to them because of their wider FOV (why I loved the Nikon 8x's) and reported ergonomics and maybe with the forehead rest, I could keep the 10x's stable enough. I hunt on the move and I need a binocular that I can keep stable right after hiking to each new vantage point.

Anyways, in short, as far as I can subjectively test, these have the same FOV and brightness of the Nikon HG 8x's, but the added magnification and a noticeable boost in clarity. And count me as another surprised user of how much the improved ergonomics play into the stability and usability. I thought nothing of needing to use both hands with the HG's to adjust the focus wheel and stabilize the picture but after being able to do that with one hand on the NL's, no way can I go back. I did pick up a forehead rest from Cabelas but will return it. I can brace the eye cups against the bridge of my nose to get the same stabilizing effect.

All in all, I am glad I spent the money and feel great about having many many years ahead with these.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
One more very satisfied NL Pure buyer here. I picked up the 10x42 from a member here (@Peregrine1, great to buy from). I immediately tested them against my Nikon HG 8x42. I've loved these for several years and even briefly owned a pair of 10x42 EL's and tested them against each other. I didn't find the EL's better enough to justify keeping them so I released them.

Well, after waiting to hear long term reviews of the NL's I decided to take a chance. I was drawn to them because of their wider FOV (why I loved the Nikon 8x's) and reported ergonomics and maybe with the forehead rest, I could keep the 10x's stable enough. I hunt on the move and I need a binocular that I can keep stable right after hiking to each new vantage point.

Anyways, in short, as far as I can subjectively test, these have the same FOV and brightness of the Nikon HG 8x's, but the added magnification and a noticeable boost in clarity. And count me as another surprised user of how much the improved ergonomics play into the stability and usability. I thought nothing of needing to use both hands with the HG's to adjust the focus wheel and stabilize the picture but after being able to do that with one hand on the NL's, no way can I go back. I did pick up a forehead rest from Cabelas but will return it. I can brace the eye cups against the bridge of my nose to get the same stabilizing effect.

All in all, I am glad I spent the money and feel great about having many many years ahead with these.

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the 8X EL Range (gen2 2014) head-head against the 10x NL when I was hunting with @ntrlbrnhunter last fall. he had two more power in the same field of view, and another minute or so after legal shooting light. Amazing

I’m guessing The EL Range TA will close the gap on a bit on optical performance but haven’t tested it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the 8X EL Range (gen2 2014) head-head against the 10x NL when I was hunting with @ntrlbrnhunter last fall. he had two more power in the same field of view, and another minute or so after legal shooting light. Amazing

I’m guessing The EL Range TA will close the gap on a bit on optical performance but haven’t tested it yet.

It has seemed like the 12x models have gotten most attention but I am now thinking that the 10x model is more of a game changer for those regular 8-10x type users than what the 12x model does for the regular 10-12x type users. I have to think that 8 and 10 power binos sell the most and the 10x NL's really give the best of both of those worlds.

Though, I would really love to look through a 15x56 NL someday.

i'm going to be getting some NL pures very soon, just trying to decide between 10 and 12X but leaning on 12X's.... there isn't anything much more fun than sitting behind good glass on a tripod... the better the glass, the more enjoyable it is.... i have been bouncing around the past few years, had SLC's, UHD's, and currently Kowa Genesis.... the Kowa are my favorite of them, but my wife likes them too compared to the SLC's she stole from me, so she gets those, i get to buy some NL pures....

just another reason of many to get your wife into hunting;)

tdot

WKR
Just had the opportunity to quickly play with an 8x32nl and 10x42nl. I had with me my 8x32el and 12x50el. The first bino's I tried were the 10x42nl and they were exceptionally good, I was really impressed by them. They definitely had a wow factor, which really surprised me. Bright, crisp, excellent focus, great colour and scanning side to side in the FOV did not yield any dark spots or kidney beans. The ergonomics were quite uncomfortable when I first grabbed them (been using the same 8x32el for years). Then I picked up the 8x32nl. They were closer to what I expected, or so I thought, good, but no "wow" moment, uncomfortable in my hands. I put those down and grabbed my 8x32el (2012 model) expecting to see the same image I felt like I'd just seen in the 8x32nl. Except it wasn't. Suddenly my old trusty 8x32el's were seriously lacking. I quickly switched back and forth a number of times. Colour, FOV, brightness depth of field, focus crispness, focus wheel, ergonomics, even the diopter adjustment, stability; everything was better with the NL's. My only complaint is that there was slightly more black spot/kidney bean's visible when scanning side to side throught the full FOV with the 8x32nl, this was hand held, not on a tripod. I've read more then a few places that the NL's are only a few percent better then the EL's, but I thought there was a bigger jump up in performance (maybe as mine were 2012 the differences were more apparent?). I didn't even pull out my 12EL as I'm pretty sure I know how that was going to end up.... maybe next season, or the one after that.

Most surprising to me was the ergonomics, I borderline hated them when I first grabbed them and within 10 minutes they felt very natural in my hands. The 8x32el were suddenly cumbersome and awkward feeling. I'd been hoping to find a used set of NL's, but after that I ordered a set of the 8x32nl's.

Biggest difference between an EL and an NL to me is that the EL feels like you're grabbing the binocular, and the NL feels like it's molded into your hand. It's weird, because the EL is not a clunky bino at all.

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for the insight Tdot. I've been thinking of replacing my 8 x32 EL's with the NL's and you might have just helped me decide on a Xmas gift!!

tdot

WKR
Had my 8x32nl's out by the river today, watching bald eagles hunt for salmon. These bino's continue to impress. There were two big take-aways from today. First was just how steady these are, they are almost tripod steady. Something about the ergonomics just really settles them into my hands, almost no pressure is required to have a solid grip. Hands and forearms are in a more relaxed state. Previously I thought the EL's were easy to hold on to. But these are better. Combine that with the increased FOV and the 8x magnification results in a bino that is surprisingly stable. No shake.

The second take-away was the almost 3d image that I was looking at. I realize this is the "wow factor" thay I first saw in the 10x42NL. The image has an incredible depth to it. I switched back to my 8x32EL and they have a great image, but there just isn't that same depth of field and and contrast between objects.

I was able to spot a number of juvenile eagles, who are dark in colour, tucked into some of the lower and darker branches of the old cedar and fir trees. Typically I'd only see those guys when they are skylined at the tops of trees. It was pretty neat, I'm not a birder, but it was cool to see what appeared to be a whole different hierarchy between the eagles. The adults were all at the tops of the trees, with better fishing views. Adolescents were all tucked in lower with poorer vantage points and cover from above. I spotted one guy because I saw his yellow claw move as he shifted his position on a branch. He was in the shade, partially obscured by a branch at 800 yards away and I saw that movement in my peripheral vision. Fantastic.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a pair of 10x42 NLs. This was a big purchase for me so I did extensive testing with friends ELs and going to my local Sportsmans, where the bino guy has been excited to test glass outside with me at dusk. I initially was leaning towards 10x50 or 12x50 ELs, but after comparing them with the same power NLs I knew I had made a mistake. The 10x42 NL outshined both ELs and I even thought that the 10x looked like it had similar magnification as the 12x EL. I think this was due to the crispness and depth of field in the NL. I honestly did not think there would be such a noticeable difference and I love looking through ELs, hence why I was adamant about getting a pair, but the NLs were on another level for sure. I can only compare it to watching a movie or sports at a friends house whose setup their TV room for full immersion vs. my lowly 45” tv that I sit too far away from.

Matt G.

WKR
Everyone you really need to stop talking about the NL's. You are going to cost me a lot more money if you keep this up!

I just picked up the 12nl's and they should be here today!! Taking them on a desert cow hunt tomorrow. I've never had top teir binos before. But I do have a Z8i on my rifle. So I somewhat know what to expect! I have an older pair of 12x bruntons that I do love. I debates on switching to 10's because of the better FOV but with the new NL line I can get basically the same FOV as most 10x's but with 12x magnification and the 12x's actually weight a half an ounce less then the 10x's..(don't know how). The post man actually just dropped them off while I was typing this. Sooo....

Firehawk

WKR
Everyone you really need to stop talking about the NL's. You are going to cost me a lot more money if you keep this up!
I am with Matt on this one. I just picked up an 8.5 EL from a good rokslider participating in this topic thread and I am waiting for it to arrive. And I keep reading these types of reviews and think, I can't be using some "crappy" ELs. Not when there is an amazing NL available. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: You guys are killing me.

Last edited:

Matt G.

WKR
I am with Matt on this one. I just picked up an 8.5 EL from a good rokslider participating in this topic thread and I am waiting for it to arrive. And I keep reading these types of reviews and think, I can't be using some "crappy" ELs. Not when there is an amazing NL available.
I did the same thing! I am loving the view, but am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I just picked up the 12nl's and they should be here today!! Taking them on a desert cow hunt tomorrow. I've never had top teir binos before. But I do have a Z8i on my rifle. So I somewhat know what to expect! I have an older pair of 12x bruntons that I do love. I debates on switching to 10's because of the better FOV but with the new NL line I can get basically the same FOV as most 10x's but with 12x magnification and the 12x's actually weight a half an ounce less then the 10x's..(don't know how). The post man actually just dropped them off while I was typing this. Sooo....
keep us posted! i'm getting the 12x nl pures as well, and curious about more feedback. it looks like size and weight with the 10x vs 12x is a non issue, and it's been nice having an extra .5x magnification with my kowas, i think the 12x's are going to be my best option.... seeing a little patch of hide through the brush at 400yds gives me a huge edge vs about anyone out there.... very very few blacktail hunters even use a tripod, even fewer have good glass, and even fewer have the patience to really pick things apart. i'm not a super patient person, but i have learned the importance of good glass and staying in it to the point it's completely changed my strategy blacktail hunting.... if hunting a particular buck, being low impact on the area is vital... good glass and patience is the only way... the better the glass, the easier it is to be patient